Bars broken on Super Pet cage???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
Just curious, has anyone else had bars broken from their super pet cage???

I have the one pictured at the bottom of this post (minus all the plastic junk, plus lots of chintastic goodies!!). About 2 nights ago, I hear this sound while sleeping... and all I could think of was a wheel falling off the side of the cage and on top of a chinnie. That was enough to make me get up from my sleep, as much as I didn't want to, and check on the babies. Sure enough, I go in and Aspen's wheel is lying flat on the ground of the cage with no sign of my little boy in the cage. I thought, oh God, he's going to be hurt under the wheel... and I began to go into emergency mode (since you can't see under the chin spins since they are solid of course). Pick of the wheel, no little Aspen. Look at the bars and a whole section of the barring had fallen off!!!

I don't know if it was the weight of the wheel... or if Aspen somehow used his chompers to help the cage break... or what. So then I realize that my little angel is probably just having a wonderful playtime in the chin room, and sure enough he is chilling in the drainage tube I have on the floor for them to run through when they play. Little Stinker!!

Has anyone else had this happen?

It horrified me, so now my original thought of upgrading to all FN's or CN's is probably going to happen ASAP.

Craziness, I tell you!
superpet-60248-bg.jpg

Yep, I've had the bars break, although it was on a smaller version than that cage.

I was gone visiting my fiance one weekend when my mom calls me up and asks if I took MuShu with me to Steve's. I was like nooooo.... Well, the cage was closed up but no MuShu inside! I was freaking out because they're in the basement and can get in a number of things. Turns out one of the bars had broken loose so she could squish inbetween the gap. Thankfully my mom found her almost right away hiding under some furniture.

Ive had one bar of mine break loose, I put a shelve there so my ricky couldn't get out. He hasnt touched it, but I'm still on the look out for a new cage.

I've had bars break as well. On one instance, we even had a chin get out... and we're staring at the cage saying "well the door isn't open" - but there sure wasn't a chinchilla in there. We had someone weld the bar back on. Ours broke off because we had two heavy perches connected to the bars on the same side of the cage, and I guess it was too heavy...

Those cages just seem to feel more sturdy than they happen to be. The bars break, the chins chew little doors through the bottoms, the wire doors sometimes won't latch all the way, etc. I end up with so many of them and I usually end up giving them away for use as temporary cages or give them to a shelter or animal rescues.

My old super pet like that one broke the bars where the door latched, had to make bigger doors.

Hmmmm.........my foster chin, Houdini, is in a smaller version of that cage. When he was living with his original owner he did chew a whole through the bottom and get out. It is now patched up with a piece of wood. I'll have to check the bars whenever I clean the cage as I have nothing else to put him in.

Well it appears that many others have the same issues. Darn cages, should have just spent the money on the FN's and CN's in the first place!

Eroomlorac--- I love the name Houdini. That's what Aspen's name should have been as he is a pro at opening doors and just generally finding small holes to get out LOL

Yeah... I'm glad no one was hurt! But the bars on my Super Pet cage (Tia is in it) are so weak. I wanted to give her a tube, but the PVC ones are so heavy... I decided to see if I could drill a chube, put a fleece cover on it, and use that instead. It works perfectly - it's not too heavy to break the bars, even when Tia sleeps in it.

But yeah, super pet cages are so shady... The only reason I have one now is because I found it on the side of the road and it's HUGE. I just can't turn down a free cage. They're great for little rats or ham-hams or guinea pigs though.

Pash -- you can also just leave the fleece tube on the floor of the cage.

That is what I did for Little Two Paws. He lives in his just like the other 2 do in their's that hangs. :thumbsup:

Well it appears that many others have the same issues. Darn cages, should have just spent the money on the FN's and CN's in the first place!

Eroomlorac--- I love the name Houdini. That's what Aspen's name should have been as he is a pro at opening doors and just generally finding small holes to get out LOL

Houdini is as cute as his name. He's looking for a new home, too. He is friendly, snuggly, calm and just the nicest chin. :)

Latest posts

Back