Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our only gripe was that they couldn't come up with a better name than 'unobtanium' especially for a movie that's been in the work for such a long time. We had to laugh when they said that one. Maybe it was meant to be funny?

Much of the story line is unoriginal, but its not bad. Just not anything new.

Apart from that, we all loved the movie and can't wait to go see it again at the Imax. We just saw in regular 3D as every time we tried for Imax 3D, it was sold out. I don't like packed theaters anyhow...too much popcorn munching.

ETA: They wanted the unobtanium for money..."20 million a kilo" but we never know why it sells for so much or what its used for.

Last edited:
The boys and I saw this yesterday and just loved it. I bet the I-Max is 10 times better than the regular 3D, but we don't have that here. When we left, we all said we'd love to see it again.

Well... the storyline has been dissected on Failblog. And it's true. :p

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg

That said, it was visually amazing, and despite its flaws, I think I'll go see it again before it's out of the theater (in regular 2-d rather than spending extra money for 3-d again). It was a lot of fun, and it held my attention through the whole thing. I came out, looked at my watch and wondered how it could already be 3 hours later?!

But how come on a planet of 6-limbed, 4-eyed, hairless vertebrates (if they have spinal columns), the dominant sentient life form is 4-limbed, 2-eyed and has hair?

Our only gripe was that they couldn't come up with a better name than 'unobtanium' especially for a movie that's been in the work for such a long time. We had to laugh when they said that one. Maybe it was meant to be funny?

Much of the story line is unoriginal, but its not bad. Just not anything new.

Apart from that, we all loved the movie and can't wait to go see it again at the Imax. We just saw in regular 3D as every time we tried for Imax 3D, it was sold out. I don't like packed theaters anyhow...too much popcorn munching.

ETA: They wanted the unobtanium for money..."20 million a kilo" but we never know why it sells for so much or what its used for.
The word unobtanium has been used in literally hundreds of works and is also used occasionally in engineering. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Unobtainium

In the realm of the film, it is a room temperature superconductor, and they had used the name "unobtanium" as a joke and it stuck.

I summed it up thus: "It's Ferngully meets Dances with Wolves in space." I wasn't terribly impressed with anything *but* the visuals, and those weren't enough for me not to feel like I wasted $12 on a 3-D showing. Should have waited until it hit video and watched it on a big screen in HD instead; I wouldn't have gotten a headache from the sound level or the glasses that way, and I'd have been curled up on the couch with my Boy Thing instead of freezing my keister off in a theater.

My family and I saw it twice. The regular version and the 3D.
The ending story line was wonderful. Love and freedom are worth fighting for at any cost.

Saw it for the first time finally last night. It was definitely worth seeing on the big screen - it was visually beautiful and action packed... wish I had seen it in 3D. Only downfall was the plot - wholly unoriginal and completely predicatble. I kept thinking Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves visits Naboo. But it was, most importantly, entertaining.

On top of that, I did enjoy seeing Giovanni Ribisi (loved him since he was in an episode of The X-Files) and Michelle Rodriguez... and Joel Moore (Norm) was a nice surprise... makes that episode of Bones where his character, Sweets and Hodgins were all fawning over seeing Avatar make sense.

Last edited:
I know I'm a little late on this one!! But I took my son this weekend during the Nor'easter that dumped about 3.5 inches of water on Jersey.
I really liked it.........we saw it in 3D, imax wasnt offered since it has been out so long.
I enjoyed the visuals and the plot. I also agree with Mish.........loved to see Giovanni Ribisi and Michelle Rodgiguez.......very well cast.
I was very long and both my son & i made a mad dash for the bathroom when it was over!

Back