Are toilet paper/paper towel tubes ok?

• Thread starter Babyangel122985
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Babyangel122985

Hello,
I have seen the big cardboard rolls that they have for chinchillas and was just wondering if toilet paper or paper towel rolls would work the same or is the glue in those toxic for chinchillas. I know they can no fit through these, but was just wondering if they would be adequate for them to chew/eat.

I'm under the impression that they are safe to give to chins, but I will have someone with more knowledge confirm that. I know they are safe to give to hamsters...I have given rolls to my new gerbils who love to shred them.

I was always under the impression they where safe to give.

They fight over them - it's fun to watch them, and the rolls are perfectly safe, if not printed!

Yes!!! mine love them!! I stab apple sticks through the roll horizontally and they have so much fun trying to get to it =D

just make sure there is no glue residue. some paper towels & toilet paper have more than others, some have none at all!
i use the ones from work that things are shipped in, they are a little thicker, i just have to cut them down. i usually put their hay in the tubes and let them eat it from there.

I give them to my two chins and they love them, my little guy will carry them all over with him but they are almost bigger than he is it's soo cute!! I also went to my local carpet store and they gave me tons of those big 4 in rolls (tubes) that carpet comes on. They love hiding and climbing through these!! So I would call you local store and ask if they have extras.

I've also used them myself. But some people do say no....I think this is one of those things were there is controversy... I do remember people saying they use them and some saying they are not safe.. So i don't know the answer.

Jean

mine love them, especially the pape towel rolls that are long and watch a couple chins grab each end and play tug o war. It hilarious to watch.

I give those to Baxter too. I couldn't find any overwhelming reasons not to give them to him. However, he's really only interested in them when he find them in his cage. He's too distracted and excited to play with them durning his time outside his cage. So he really only shreds them when he's looking for things to do at night. The only down side is that when he shreds them, the chewing is so loud! It's woken us up a couple of times! He LOVES them!

I take a toilet paper tube and stuff it with hay, add a few rose hips in the middle and then stuff apple sticks inside the hay. Great cheap toy. :p

I love that I signed up for this site! As much as I can try to think of things myself, it's so helpful to hear other people's ideas on how to spruce up a simple thing like toilet paper rolls :)

Do you think there would be a problem with priory mail cardboard boxes? I don't know if the color on them is safe or whatnot.

I have some that I get from wood and chinchilla stuff, with no tape that I'd like to throw in there.. they love boxes.

Latest posts

Back