April 21, 2012 CA Spring Field Day - Frazier Park

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a mix up on a cage at the show. If anyone accidently took a standard female home instead of a male, please let me know asap. The ear tag on the female would have been blank.

Oh, how awful. Who would do such a thing? I really hope you get her back, Nan. I can't imagine that someone would intentionally do this. We'll need to beef up security up here to prevent this happening.

Oh, how awful. Who would do such a thing? I really hope you get her back, Nan. I can't imagine that someone would intentionally do this. We'll need to beef up security up here to prevent this happening.

I am going to say it was an accident. But if you are missing your male he is here. Shahna, Sumiko and Tabitha have been working on this just to let people know what is going on.

Last edited:
Sue - you may want to post something on your show thread encouraging the use of eartags. I pray that Nan's mix-up was an accident and we get to the bottom of it...mix-ups rarely happen, but as can be seen here...they do happen. The eartag is a sure way to identify ones animals.

For those that attended the show...please double/triple check youtr animals. If you went home with one extra female, and one less male, please PM me immediately.

I agree that ear tags "can" be a useful tool but only if there is someone working security at a show checking animals out as people leave the show hall.

Unfotunately, in the chaos of packing up after a show people leave the hall with their animals (or possibly with someone elses, mixup or otherwise) and once the animal is gone, it takes nothing to remove a tag. At that point it would be very hard to prove ownership of an animal. Very sad but true. Hope it never happens but very worried that it will.

We got to see a very nice blue diamond! It is a very interesting looking mutation. I personally don't think they look much different in person, but this one had really nice color.

Was this blue diamond shown in violet class? I only remember seeing a very bright violet chin in the show.

The chin has still not been returned. It is a mystery! We checked animal tags before people left the show. I am running out of ideas. I have been through the entry sheets 10 times and had a few ideas, but I have been striking out.

I will be sending out a club email tonight, but everyone at the show was aware of what happened and were trying to help locate her there, so not sure if that will yield any new leads.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please send me a PM.

Yep, we took turns opening our carriers and going through each chinchilla and checking their eartags. We have contacted pretty much everyone else that did not get the eartags checked, but those that had more than 2 or 3 chinchillas in the show were all checked before loading anything into the car.

The blue diamond was brought by Cara and Sandy, I'm sure we will see plenty of his offspring over the coming years. :)

It was good to see everyone at the show. Thanks for the nice comments on the blue diamond, if all goes well you will be seeing more of this cross in the future. I had a fun show and next time will probably bring more animals.

A suggestion for those that are showing, just using ear tags is not enough. Please write down the number and brand that is on the ear tag! This sounds like common sense, but one of the reasons we are having such a hard time tracking this chin down is we have no idea what the number on the ear tag is. So please, everyone, write down your ear tag numbers with your animal information. We may want to add a column on the entry sheet with ear tag numbers in the future, just to prevent this from happening again.

Back