Apple treats? Dried cranberries?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

OK, I've been looking through these threads, and now I'm confused:
Chincessories sells apple treats; but if I read correctly, apples are not good for our chins.

Also, they sell dried cranberries. Are they harmful, helpful, ???

What gives?

Yes I purchased the same things from there and am very confused about it as well. (She is a great seller though! A++ :)) ) I have also read of people giving their chins this type of stuff forever with no problems at all. Very confusing. Hopefully somebody who knows can answer us :))

Yes I purchased the same things from there and am very confused about it as well. (She is a great seller though! A++ :)) ) I have also read of people giving their chins this type of stuff forever with no problems at all. Very confusing. Hopefully somebody who knows can answer us :))

She has very bad reviews, so anyone who reads this should be forewarned. There is a whole thread: http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21333&highlight=forchinatechins

To the OP, i'm not sure which apple treats you are referring to, but personally I would only give the apple and oat treats. I also tend to stay away from dried cranberry though very seldom give it to nursing females when I can't find 100% cran juice.

Why could she possibly have bad reviews? I've done a decent amount of business with her and she has been nothing but kind and helpful ... I will read the post though, thanks for the information.

Wow .. I guess it's just hit and miss then because I haven't had any problems with her. Defiantly won't be doing any more business. Thanks ErinsChins :))

Just because a seller sells something does not mean its good for chins.

i very much agree! look at all the stores (petsmart, etc) that sell 'chinchilla' products that are actually quite dangerous (death ball, sugary treats and such).

even though an online store states it is selling chinchilla supplies, you do have to do your research and find out if the products are safe for your chins or not, same as if you walked into a store (like petsmart).

First, I agree. Just because a chinchilla site says something is safe, it doesn't make it so. Many chinchilla sites recommend death balls and giving copious amounts of raisins every day. The OP is doing a good thing by asking what's safe here and verifying that it's okay for their chin.

Second, we do not have the right to call Carise a "bad seller." What we can say is that she has a long record of not responding to emails and that she takes an excessively long time to get her orders out, along with having very creative and repetitive excuses. There are folks who never have an issue with her and who receive their orders in a timely manner. Most people just find it's not worth the risk.

To Dan: No fruits or vegetables of ANY sort, and this includes berries. That's the simple answer.

avecat - the people who feed those treats on a normal basis tend to have chinchillas with shorter lifespans, however, don't do necropsies to find out the true cause of death (which is usually bloat and/or stasis) due to being fed sugary treats. There are a reason sites that say to feed fruits/veggies have a lifespan of maybe 10 years max, and those breeders that don't recommend these foods have chins with lifespans anywhere from 15-20 years.

avecat - the people who feed those treats on a normal basis tend to have chinchillas with shorter lifespans, however, don't do necropsies to find out the true cause of death (which is usually bloat and/or stasis) due to being fed sugary treats. There are a reason sites that say to feed fruits/veggies have a lifespan of maybe 10 years max, and those breeders that don't recommend these foods have chins with lifespans anywhere from 15-20 years.

Thanks so much :)) Makes a lot of sense haha. Won't be giving Fonzie or my soon to be Casper anymore of these :))

ticklechin said:
Just because a seller sells something does not mean its good for chins.

i very much agree! look at all the stores (petsmart, etc) that sell 'chinchilla' products that are actually quite dangerous (death ball, sugary treats and such).

even though an online store states it is selling chinchilla supplies, you do have to do your research and find out if the products are safe for your chins or not, same as if you walked into a store (like petsmart).

Yes, but when the seller is a breeder or chin rescue, one would assume that it's safe to trust them. Keyword: assume. That is becoming the most irritating and frustrating part for me.

I have dried cranberries from a gift assortment from Carise as well, and was wondering if they would be okay to give my chins. Now I know....I'll just eat them, :p

Last edited:
Yes, but when the seller is a breeder or chin rescue, one would assume that it's safe to trust them. Keyword: assume.

110% agreed. This is why I have an issue with it. She is a rescue. As a well known rescue, who knows dried fruits are NOT safe, why in the world would she sell it on her site? I realize it's for money, but it still irks me to the core.

110% agreed. This is why I have an issue with it. She is a rescue. As a well known rescue, who knows dried fruits are NOT safe, why in the world would she sell it on her site? I realize it's for money, but it still irks me to the core.

Yes, that is very messed up. If you want to promote the welfare of chinchillas, why sell products that limit their lifespans?? Sigh.....

I used to work with a well established rescue here that will be nameless that feeds the rescues and their own breeding animals human junk food, veggies and fruit. Just because they are a 503b(c) rescue does not mean they do the right thing by the chinchillas. Never assume anything.

I used to work with a well established rescue here that will be nameless that feeds the rescues and their own breeding animals human junk food, veggies and fruit. Just because they are a 503b(c) rescue does not mean they do the right thing by the chinchillas. Never assume anything.

:no: How saddening.

Last week I overheard a petco employee telling a customer chins have a lifespan of 5-10 yrs. I kept my mouth shut.

A lot of UK keepers recommend dried apple rings as a treat, one a week. Is that incorrect? I've been told dried apple was ok as it isn't high in sugar like raisins.

when you dry fruits, the natural sugars become concentrated, and that includes apples. no dried fruits for your chins!

Last week I overheard a petco employee telling a customer chins have a lifespan of 5-10 yrs. I kept my mouth shut.

That probably is their max lifespan, when they are fed the pet store junk and raisins and other crap all the time...

Latest posts

Back