Anyone else here into fishkeeping?

• Thread starter RockedByRequiem
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RockedByRequiem

Wondering if anyone else here has aquariums. If so, how many, and what do you have? Or, what have you had?

Myself, I've had probably twenty tanks or more over set up the years, having as many as eight at one time. The biggest was a 90 gallon, and I had one salt water setup. Currently, I only have three. One 55 gallon all catfish tank, one 20 gallon North American Native tank, and a 5 gallon which is sort of a multi-purpose tank. However, I've had just about everything you can imagine at one point or another.

Would love to see pictures also if anyone has any.:thumbsup:

I would love to see your North American Native tank!

I haven't kept a proper tank in years. I use to have a 30 gallon tank when I was younger. I had ever type of tetra, guppy, and goldfish you could think of at one point or another. I am in love with plecostomous and oscars. Oh I also had a really cool arowana too. I recently started looking into tanks again because we got one donated to our school so I'm started to familiarize myself with the upkeep and care.

I don't have tanks but I have a pond with a small waterfall. It has about 20 goldfish and 5 koi and a few frogs

At one time, I bred lyretail swordtales, that I sold at a petshop.
They don't breed "true" and I had 6 tanks.
After trying for 3 yrs. to achieve black with red fins, [which I accomplished] I ended up moving to a town with well-water, which just didn't work.
Sold one pair that were show-worthy for $75!

I used to be into reefkeeping and had a small reef tank with a few fish. It was a 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube. I had a lot of soft corals and mushrooms, a couple clams, Nassarius snails, a cleaner shrimp, a yellow clown goby, two blue darters, an Ocellaris clownfish (Nemo) and at one point, a firefish. I started with blue chromis damsels (supposedly one of the most docile damsels...) in the tank but they got a little nippy when I added other fish to the tank and I ended up rehoming them! I also had a young yellow tang for a bit which I was "growing" for a friend with a 300 gallon tank and was afraid he was too small to go in his tank yet. I used to work at a petstore which is how I learned all about the lighting, compatibility, reefscaping, etc. I will try to find some pictures.

I also used to raise koi back in highschool. We had a pond in the back with a few different varieties of koi and two 50 gallon aquariums in the patio for raising the fry. That was a lot of work!

I do : ) I love my fish tanks! I have a 90 gallon with 5 silver dollars and 2 severum, a 30 gallon community tank with loads of fish and in the process of turning into a fully planted tank, a 20 gallon planted tank with tiger barbs and a chinese algae eater, a 10 gallon planted tank with fry and young swordtails, a 6 gallon planted tank with mollies, a 5 gallon planted tank with a betta and a betta in a 2 1/2 gallon tank as well.

Rickman - Swordtails are my favorite fish type. I love watching the males do their love dance. Do you have pics of that swordtail you bred?

I started with a 20 long with a pink kisser, a few zebra danios, and an apple snail... in a planted tank.

The failure was epic.

So I scaled back to 1 heated 10 gal. for each beta abandoned in my dorm bathroom every year. At one time I had 3 of them, a sapphire, a Siamese red, and an orange (I think there was a decent breeder around somewhere b/c the reds and sapphires had remarkably nice finnage for petstore fish). I miss keeping fish, but right now a cat, a hamster, and my chin are all I can handle. I might try a freshwater planted community tank when I get a house of my own. :thumbs:

Here are some pictures of my old mini reef tank at various stages. I forgot to mention, I also had a six-line wrasse in there.

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

I would like to get a tank or two.... I used to have two 10-gallons when I was in high school.... with zebra danios and neon tetras. Course, I knew nothing more about their care than putting in fish and some food and cleaning the tank now and then... Needless to say, my fish didn't last super-long.

That said, when I get back into fish (which will hopefully be when my lease expires soon and I move to a better place), I would like to do everything correctly. Now I hear people talk about cycling tanks and all that, and I realize I have no idea what I'm doing... can someone suggest a good fish forum to learn so that I do it right this time?

I just started keeping fish. Someone gave me a 14 gallon Oceanic Biocube. It is desigened to be used as a reef tank. But I modified the lights and I am using it for freshwater.

It has worked out very nicely. I have 2 corey catfish, 4 black neon tetras, 5 tiger barbs, and two clown loaches. I have the tank positioned so I can lie down on the couch and watch them swimming Very relaxing.

Eventually I would like a 55 gallon tank with tri color sharks.

I've always wanted to plant my tank, i have one with 4 gold fish and two koi, anyone have suggestions for plants and how to care for a planted tank?

We had a 20gl tank that we kept female bettas in. I really miss my betta girls, they would come and eat out of our hands. I just found the 20gl a little too much for me to keep up with, maybe I'll trade it for a 10gl. My husband used to keep oscars before we got married, I named them Felix and Oscar. I really enjoyed those two. Right no, we have 2 male bettas, in separate bowls of course, a red one and a blue one.

I used to keep bettas (5+ gallons each) and tropical fish (10 gallons) all planted but now i just have 3 tanks ( lol making space for a hedgie)

The one thing I can't do..keep a successful tank. I do have a 30 gallon. I've tried community, then onto african cichlids, and finally gave up.

I'd LOVE to do saltwater, but I can't keep my freshies alive!

My sister on the other hand has a 90gallon freshwater tank, and a 75 gallon salt water tank. I LOVE her salt tank.

Latest posts

Back