Any ideas? Severe sore throat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Mmm Helicobacter pylori..
This semester has been the craziest, busiest, pack-filled semester of my entire University career (5 years so far). I'm in the Nursing After Degree program which is a condensed program 2 years long. This spring I not only have Nursing 307 - consisting of seminar 4x a week (case studies which we do "handouts" and "careplans" on), lab 2x a week (includes preparation - 50+ pages of reading, and we do our nursing skills), and lecture 2x a week. This class also includes a 35% essay due May 26, and a 45% final June 9th. In addition, I have pathophysiology 3 hours 2x a week, consisting of a 20% assignment (due May 26), 30% midterm (due May 26) and 50% final (June 11). On top of all of this, I have various family issues going on and Scott & I have finally decided to get married June 22, 2010.

Ever since Sunday I've been feeling sick, drained, ear aches, congested and a sore throat. I went to the University health clinic Monday evening and he swabbed my throat (strep) and had me do a blood test (mono/EBV) and said he'd start me on penicillin and if he didnt call by Wednesday I did NOT have strep and do not need the antibiotics. I phoned today to see if my results came in, but they couldnt release any of my information. My sore throat has been getting progressively worse, the 3 days of antibiotics did absolutely nada. I am taking the maximum recommended dose of both Tylenol and Advil, as suggested by the Dr, but it is barely putting a dent in the pain.

Has any of you experienced this before? Do you have any advice/suggestions? I'm literally in excruciating pain - it's severely painful to swallow (water, food, saliva) and I'm getting worried and fed up.

I am going to the Health Clinic again tomorrow after class. I just don't know what to do with this anymore. If its viral, there is nothing they can do - which I am dreading because I think I'll pull my hair out if I have another day of this pain.

you may have a sinus infection. I always present with a sore throat that mimics strep and NEVER is. 5 days of Z-pack and all better. Last time they gave me amoxicillin, and 10 days later I was still sick. Ask for the Z-pack. If it is a sinus infection, you will feel better in 2 days- I swear!

:( I've only got experience with weird rashes and such since I have sensitive skin. I hope it gets better soon!

I wish I had a suggestion for you Sasha. Since I've known you, you have had sore throats and ear aches up the wazoo. I wish they could find out what's wrong once a for all! I do know that we always think antibiotics are the way to go, but in same cases they really aren't. I'm sure you're also feeling rundown due to school. If I were you I would drink some warm margaritas or frozen margaritas! They will pain kill better than tylenol or advil!

I had something similar in April which my usual family Dr (who is conveniently away on holidays right now) diagnosed as a sinus infection, and I was put on azithromycin (5 day pack). It cleared up ASAP (which I needed to, having finals the following week!).
Maybe that is what I have again (even though the Dr I saw on Monday said its unlikely), but what is so concerning is the darn sore throat. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Laur - I KNOW! I'm known as the "sick girl" to most people. Nobody feels sorry for me anymore when I get sick because its such a common experience for me. I was thinking maybe it was the mono - would explain the recurrences, but I guess it's not.
Alcohol would be GREAT if I didn't have to study/go to school 24/7 :p

Last edited:
Straight lemon always helps, I just eat a wedge (cut or peeled) every couple hours and drink some orange juice with apple cider vinager. I also try to eat only whole foods if I'm not feeling well. The body doesn't need junk to deal with if it's working overtime trying to kill bugs. Sleep is important too, rest as much as you can.

I hope you feel better soon!

Options:
1) 1 Tbsp salt in the bottom of a glass. 1/4 cup of warm water. Stir until salt is dissolved. Gargle. DO NOT SWALLOW! (And if you're like me, wear a towel b/c the gagging the salt taste can cause will make a mess.) The salt has antibacterial properties and can help with pain.

2) 1 Tbsp. honey in the bottom of a shot glass. Fill to line with 80 proof or higher alcohol. Stir well. Gargle. Swallow. Go to bed. The actual reason: The alcohol *and* the honey have antibacterial properties, with the pain relieving numbness of the alcohol. My dad's joke: "After three or four doses of *that* you won't care that you're sick!" ;) (Similar to "Rock and Rye", a home remedy of a lot of rural US communities that stuck rock candy in moonshine and let the candy dissolve as a cough syrup.)

3) Squeeze half a lemon into a tea cup of warm water. Stir in 1 tsp. sugar or honey (to taste) until dissolved. Drink. The acid in the lemon kills off the germs. If I have it in the fridge, I'll sometimes sip a little bit of pickle juice for the same reason. (I like pickles better than lemonade.)

4) Avoid dairy if you can, but cold can help too. Milk products can increase mucus production, and if your throat hurts, you don't want something making you want to cough. I'm partial to the Popsicle brand natural juice pops in orange, grape, and cherry. You get a little more vitamins etc. through them than the totally fake ones.

Are you alternating the pain relievers every 4 hrs.? (Tylenol at 8AM, Advil at 12, Tylenol at 4, etc.) That might spread out the effective time of each dose.

Feel better soon!

Nyquil
Lemon de-caf tea
Lots and lots and lots of fluids, no dairy. Doesn't matter if you're not thirsty. Keep drinking. Non caffine stuff like water, juice, tea

Turns out it is mono/EBV! Dr has been trying to get ahold of me all week apparently. Sooo I've got severe lower back pain in addition to everything else and from my blood results he concluded it is because my liver is inflammed and possibly my spleen to. He referred me to a study going on that is looking at why people who get EBV present symptoms so differently (is the virus different? The hosts genetics?). So yeah, nothing they can do but prescribe me harsh pain pills and recommend rest. Infectious diseases RN said I'd probably have another 2 weeks of feeling crappy, if I'm like most ppl my age.

This just really sucks! My profs and nursing student group are all real understanding which is nice so I'm just going to keep truckin' and make it through....

Sasha that sucks. I hope you feel better really soon. I know a lot of friends who have had mono.. The plus, here is that weight loss you wanted. My friend lost like 25lbs when she got mono.

oooh Sashie I'm so sorry! BUT at least you do know what it is. I had mono in the 8th grade and it was pretty brutal. I slept ALOT! My throat was sore and I basically wanted to eat jello, mashed potatoes and chicken noodle soup. I had it over my freaking birthday in February--on the plus side I know you're working hard to lose weight--I bet you will for sure now!

BTW no smooching Scott! It is, after all, the kissing disease!

I've had killer sore throats where it feels like I'm swallowing razor blades.

There is a numbing throat spray by Chloroseptic that works like a charm. It's called Chloroseptic Sore Throat Spray. The taste is a little cherryish/medicinal icky, but boy, the relief from the pain is immediate and lasts for a few hours. I highly recommend it!!!

Feel better soon.

I second Chloroseptic, but I use their lozenges. Don't know if they carry this at a store near you, but I also swear by Throat Coat, a tea made by Traditional Medicinals. It really soothes the throat and tastes yummy too!

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone. I did about an hour of homework andI'm exhausted again. I think I'll just nap for a few hours, do homework for a few, nap, homework, etc. I'm just so lucky Scotts such a huge help with the chins and extra stuff. I couldn't do it all on my own right now!!
The anti inflammatory and codeine is pretty awesome at knocking out the throat pain but makes me loopy and tired. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll def see if I can get some if that throat numbing stuff.

And I quote:
The anti inflammatory and codeine is pretty awesome at knocking out the throat pain but makes me loopy and tired.

I don't think it's the anti inflammatory or codeine--I just think you're loopy period!!!

Get better soon Sashie!

Latest posts

Back