Allergy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadebf700

I have developed a skin allergy to buddy and I am curious if anyone else has/knows of this issue. I rubbed some dust where I usually break out and nothing happened.

I also bought buddy a wheel and am curious if he will ever learn how to use it.

Chances are that you are allegeric to something else, like the hay or bedding.

Eventually they will learn how to use it, mess around with it and turn it, make him interested in it. Some chins just love their wheels more than others!

Sometimes it just takes them time to figure out the wheel, just give him time. Also you might think he is not using it, but he might be at night when you dont see him. I thought my girls didnt know how to use theirs and one night i woke up at around 3am and caught her on it, lol!!

I made a similar post to this a few weeks ago. I started having allergy problems every time I cleaned cages and fed the little guys. It was the hay. I started taking Zyrtec everyday and haven't had a problem since.

If one of my chins scratch me, I get very large welps and the scratches itch like crazy. I wash my hands and arms anytime after handling a chin and it has helped tremendously.

Sometimes those welts are actually just very thin scratches that raise up a bit and aren't really hives or welts at all. The front toes can have very sharp nails and getting scratched yields a small wound...it would be just like anything else scratched the skin, it would raise up a bit in reaction to the wound.

Sometimes those welts are actually just very thin scratches that raise up a bit and aren't really hives or welts at all. The front toes can have very sharp nails and getting scratched yields a small wound...it would be just like anything else scratched the skin, it would raise up a bit in reaction to the wound.

I know. I don't get the hives. However, the scratches hurt/itch a lot more than any other scratch. Washing them helps.

I would imagine like any other topical allergy, you would need to break or scratch the skin in order to validate a reaction...
Is it possible you have dry cracked skin in that area due to cold dry weather, if so it could be a number of other chemicals you are exposed to. Hand Sanitizer is renowned for irritating skin and causing combined reactions if used to frequently.

Back