Allergies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hedgiekel

does anyone know if people have allergies to chinchillas? The only animals I have noticed allergies to are cats and some long haired rabbits. I have heard that the chinchilla hair is different and they don't produce dander and that a lot of people get them if they are allergic to cats. Is this true? I have wanted a chin for awhile but want to make sure there are no allergy worries. I plan to handle a few before buying also.

I think you may be less likely to be allergic to chins, but yes, it is definitely possible to be allergic, so handling them before buying is a good idea, as you mentioned. What I think is even more common, however, is that people are/become allergic to the hay and/or bathing dust... so be aware of that issue as well.

I actually read that chins are hypoallergenic, but like CerLynn said, I have heard of people having allergies to the dust or the hay.

I am one of the people who have allergies/asthma and the chins really bother me.

I honestly cannot say if it's the chins themselves, or their "supplies". I know when I am cleaning cages and am constantly in the pine bedding--my allergies act up. When I was using loose hay, they acted up. Dust baths send me right into needing to run for my inhaler.

If I am grooming, and fur gets into my nose/eyes I am done as well. My eyes get itchy, stay itchy and swell. My nose also bothers me..... However, they are worth dealing with the side effects :)

My oldest son can't get within 10 feet of the chin room without his allergies acting up - doesn't bother anyone else in the family, though! Never nailed down exactly what gets to him, either!

If the chins scratch me, I get big welts right where they scratch me. Looks like a hive and its itchy like one too.

Other than that, the hay/dust really get my allergies going as well.

when my chins scratch me i also get bumps and red welt looking things; they're really itchy!!....cleaning the cage definitely triggers my allergies, though recently I use a moist mask (or a moist bandanna) to tie it around my nose before getting to work and it seems to help. but allergies are definitely a small price to pay for such wonderful bundles of joy!!

I think the only way for you to know for sure is to get up close and personal with chins over several occasions - both the chins and their supplies to see if you are able to cope with it instead of realizing that it is bothersome to you after you have gotten a chin. Like the others have said, it may not be the chin that bothers you, but their supplies. Hopefully you won't have any reaction at all, because these little guys are so addicting!

I have allergies to cat/guinea pig fur and dust/dirt. Not real severe though. I haven't
had any problem with my 3 chins. I use aspen shavings--fine with that--using potty
bowl. Although, the dust bath can get me sneezing, so it's in the play room--i keep my
distance. Chins are the "best" for people with allergies. Hope it works out for you,
cos they are the cutest and funnest pet.

Allergies are one of the reasons I'm no longer enjoying my chins like I use to. I go into their room and come out miserable. I'm guessing it's more of an allergy to their hay, shavings, and dust than to them though.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will surely look into it more before even thinking about getting a chinchilla. I don't suspect I will have allergies, since I don't plan to use any pine/cedar shavings that normally trigger allergies. I have a hedgehog and don't even want the particles in the air.

We got Dale because his mama was allergic. It broke her heart to give him up, but she has to be able to breathe too....

Allergic

I'm Super Allergic to Cats! If there is a cat in a room with me, I simply just can't breath, period!
To be "caged" with 150+- chinchillas during the pass 10+ years. My Allergic toward to those lovely fur balls do build up. But I found out mostly not from themselves. Urine, hay, dust are more like it. SO~
1. I hire a helper, I only do the light clean (wash bottles and dishs) daily, but have someone else do the deep clean (change shaving) weekly. So, I can enjoy more time with them, no worry to touch their Urine.
2. Use hay cubes instead loose hay. This is not that hard to find, most pet stores carry it. By using hay cubes, they have to chew more!
3. I'm using sand bath instead of dust. Which it does have down side: their fur won't be as pretty as they should be :( But, Hey, I won't love them less. There are some methods you can do when they enjoy their dust bath:
a. Wear a mask, when they are bathing.
i Bathing in an open area if they are not in the cages.
ii Put a big fabric to cover the whole cage, while they are bathing inside.
iii Bathing time no more than 5 min. to avoid the chance they might pee in the bath.
b. Have bathing time After the free run, NOT Before the free run.
c. Bath more times during the raining seasons, but should cut down during the Dry winter time.
Hope these tips will help :)

I just got tested at the allergist and I am allergic to Orchard grass (not timothy thank God!). I think a lot of people are allergic to the grasses our babies eat as well as the dust. The doctor gave me a sample of Singulair which is supposed to be for indoor & outdoor allergies and so far it is pretty good.

Just to give you some more input, I am SEVERELY allergic to cats and I have asthma. In a room where cats are given free reign, I experience diffuculty breathing within a few hours, less if a cat is currently present. Also, if I pet a cat(or touch anything the cat has been on), I have to wash my hands almost immediately, and not touch any other part of my body until I've done so (especially my face). But I've found this applies with most, if not all, animals, so I just always wash my hands after handling any animal as a rule of thumb (it's also better for the animals, no transferral).

Definitely spend some time around bath dust and loose hay. The most recent bag of hay I got has been giving me the worst time, everytime I was giving it to my chin I'd need to do my inhaler. I think the hay allergy changes with the seasons, and every bag of hay is unique. Before recently, I hadn't had any problems in a year or so. But if you keep the hay in another room, it helps.

However, I think I have developed an allergy to my chin. The first few years I had her, I could have her crawling into my shirt, sitting on my chest, crawling down my back, whatever, and I'd be fine. Now I can't really have her in my arms if they're not covered, or I get rashy. :\ I have very sensitive skin in addition to my allergies as well though, so it might just be me.

I think it is just a skin issue when it comes to my actual chinchilla though (except for when loose hairs go up my nose :rolleyes:) because she is in my bedroom; her cage is maybe 3 feet from the foot of my bed.

Wow, long post, sorry. :)) But ya, definitely do test around these things. And you should probably test your tolerance to chins themselves, hay, and dust at different times, so you know which factor bothers you (if any!)

Latest posts

Back