About to buy my first chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowindry

I'm about to buy a baby chinchilla from a pet store in houston, (s and s exotics) i'll be getting her really soon and was wondering what brands of things and such i should be getting. I've heard some things about their diets and how strict it has to be.. I originally wanted a boy, but after hearing about ring hairs i changed my mind :I;;
so any info/tips i could get would be amazing ;u; thanks!

Welcome to CnH.

I don't mean to come off rude, but you should really do more research before you get the chin. If you browse our new owner FAQ, you will find many of the basic questions that you should know the answers to BEFORE you get a chinchilla. I suggest you read through them, and if you have any further questions, you can post a thread for them.

As for brands- I'm not sure what you're asking. If it's feed, then Tradition, Oxbow, Nutrena Naturewise (rabbit pellet), and some have good luck with Mazuri though it has been known to cause diarrhea.
Most pet store brands are not good for chins, even though they are marketed for them.

Just fyi- while males need hair rings, some females spray urine if they are angered, frightened, or just if they feel like it. I'd rather have to check for hair rings than get pee sprayed in my face any day...but that's just me. ;)

These are good threads to start with.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42

The rest of the FAQ's can be found here:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Last edited:
I just Stackie said all I would have. Welcome to the forum. I do have one thing to say though. Pet store chins don't come with any known history. You have a much higher risk of dealing with a chinchilla with malo, which is a teeth problem that can be costly and timely to deal with and can also cause a painful death. I have bought both of mine from breeders and both were less than what a pet store would charge for them.

I just prefer that route if you are getting a baby with unknown background I also think it's better to adopt one from a rescue group. I am sure there are a few good breeders near you. Sorry, just my 2 cents, please take no offense. Although I do know sometimes you see an animal and just fall in love.

Please keep researching further.

Welcome to the forum! Its good you have found this site before picking up your chin! I didn't find the forum until after I had adopted and already purchased unsafe supplies for mine, so you are a step ahead. If you have specific questions regarding brands please ask. As was already mentioned, most items sold for chinchillas in pet stores are not actually safe for them!

I did also. I got a chin and bought everything on the market for them in the pet store! Majority of it got thrown out!
Myself...I use Tradition feed. You can not buy it in a store but have to buy it. It's milled in Ohio. You can order it through the Ryerson's. I use Oxbow timothy hay. Compressed alfalfa cubes. Blue Cloud dust. Plain shredded wheat or rosehips for a treat here and there. I like kiln dried pine bedding, but only use it in my litter pans for them. I use fleece liners, myself. Do not use cedar bedding! Wood chew toys or applewood sticks are a nice treat also. Keep plenty of chew toys since their teeth always grow.
Do not give any fresh or dried fruits. Don't feed raisins. Don't feed the junk food that's full of treats.
I have not been sprayed YET, but clean spray off my walls all the time! I'm waiting for the day I get hit lol.
That's info I've gathered in the past few months. Good luck with your fur baby! I love mine to pieces!
Oh, p.s. Do not buy those big running balls for your chin. They are called death balls for a good reason, and they're disgusting anyways. And don't waste your money on a plastic wheel. I bought the best one in the pet store and my BABY chin broke it in 5 days from running so fast!

Welcome!

Don't buy form the pet store, bc they usually only get them pet mills like "puppy mills". I adopted mine from the HSPCA. You can look on their website for relinquished pets and adopt one, or even look up some rescues and adopt a poor fur baby who needs some loving! But if you want to give your hard earned money to a pet store where they most likely score a HUGE profit of you, that is your choice. But just know that there are great organizations out there and poor Chinnies who are waiting for you to rescue them! This is JMO is you are looking for a pet, and to show would be best coming from a reputable breeder.

When it comes to boys and girls, not all girl chins spray. I have 10 girls and none of them spray ever. Now one female rescue I have did spray me. First time for me to get sprayed ever! lol

There are tons of rescues looking for a home and you can get a really nice chin.

Welcome!

I joined this site months ago to start researching and preparing for a Chin. I just now have almost what I believe to be ample supplies and knowledge. I have read SO much here and check in every day to read. I have asked a ton of questions.

I am also owned by a dog, 4 cats and a red eared slider turtle. Through years I have learned proper care and diet for them. I have had my turtle for 15 years and only wish I had taken the time to do the research I am doing before getting a Chin.

I more than likely will be getting a chin from a breeder in the hopes of not having health issues I am not equipped to deal with since it will be my first Chin. All my other animals have been rescues with the exception of the pet store bought turtle. If there was a reputable rescue in my area for chins I would probably go that route....although I am still hoping to find a rescue.

The people on this site are very knowledgeable.

Thank you, I actually have been researching, I've read some books and browsed through this forum and other info on the internet.
About the pet store thing, when we got the hedgie there they had all their hm, forms and documents on the wall for breeding and stuff? I'm not sure. And there's no rescue nearby, I'm having to travel to this pet store, and I originally wanted to buy from a breeder because of the things I read online, my friend has a chin she bought from the pet store who is a nervous wreck;;

Ok here is the thing about pet stores
Pet store chinchillas do not come from "pet mills" there may be a few here and there but they come from wholesalers...wholesalers buy chinchillas in bulk from ranchers and ranchers will also buy animals from hobby breeders to sell to the whole saler. So the whole "chinchilla mill babies" is a myth. They may be lower quality animals but are just as likely to be healthy as hobby breeders animals, unless they are ill from improper treatment at the pet store level.

that being said there are good reasons to buy from a breeder not a pet store. Breeders are the best to buy from, this way you can know the genetic history of the chinchilla, as well as have someone who you can contact when you have questions. A chinchilla bought from a good reputable breeder is almost always a great pet, they have been handled from birth and are usually healthy and well adjusted. Also breeders are more likely to have mutation colors and will provide a history of your chinchilla usually. Pet stores you don't know where they came from or age ect.,

It is always a good idea to purchase a chin from a breeder. That being said, I also believe that every chin is deserving of a home, whether it he or she is from a hobby breeder, ranch, someone off CL, a shelter or pet store. I have a pet store and a shelter chin who have been just as healthy as any of the chins from reputable hobby breeders.

Basically, I think that the moral is to research and be as prepared as you can. Ask questions and know the basics of what to look for and get the chin that you bond with and is right for you. A first time chin owner is probably not a good match for a special needs rescue chin.

If you like the pet store chin and the pet store has a decent reputation, I say go for it. Just my opinion and I know not everyone agrees with me.

When it comes to boys and girls, not all girl chins spray. I have 10 girls and none of them spray ever. Now one female rescue I have did spray me. First time for me to get sprayed ever! lol

There are tons of rescues looking for a home and you can get a really nice chin.

I agree; I think the propensity of females (in general) to spray is overstated by some. I've had my two females for 3+ years and I've only ever been sprayed once, and that was right after I got the girls and they were frightened and unfamiliar with me. Getting peed on is part of having animals (or kids, for that matter). The possibility of urine shouldn't dissuade someone from getting an animal, and if it does then they shouldn't have the animal anyway.

As to the OP, kudos for doing research. It's a lot more than most people seem to do when they get a chinchilla. While it's ideal to have researched a lot before you decide to get a pet, it's always better to start late than never. You'll find that the best way to get info from the forum is to just go through each section and read as much as possible, including the FAQs at the top of each section. Most questions can be answered by doing this. Good luck with your new chinnie!

Ok here is the thing about pet stores
Pet store chinchillas do not come from "pet mills" there may be a few here and there but they come from wholesalers...wholesalers buy chinchillas in bulk from ranchers and ranchers will also buy animals from hobby breeders to sell to the whole saler. So the whole "chinchilla mill babies" is a myth. They may be lower quality animals but are just as likely to be healthy as hobby breeders animals, unless they are ill from improper treatment at the pet store level.

There is a breeder here in CA that just breeds pet quality and surrendered/rescued animals and wholesales the babies to petstores...

Thanks again. C: See a chin is important for me because i have severe allergies to pet dander and chinchillas are hypoallergenic and i'm not allergic to them. A friend of mine has a chin she bought a few months ago (i said this earlier i think) and when i went over to see it i fell in love, even if it was very skiddish and such.. As soon as I thoguht about getting a chin I've researched here and there, starting with a book she gave me (...which she told me to summarize for her so she wouldn't have to read it..) Anyways, I'm definitely not a pro or anything close! I just didn't want anyone to think i came here without doing anything on my own...

Just so you are aware, people are not usually allergic to chins, but to the dust that comes with them. Chins need dust baths to keep their coats healthy (and they really love them). The dust is what gets to me. If you are an allergic type of person, I would use fleece liners and not shavings (as long as your chin doesn't chew fleece) in his/her cage, as shavings contain dust as well. Just another thing to think about.

ETA- Also, most books about chins, especially those in pet stores are full of misinformation and are basically bumph. So you may want to direct your friend to this site if she has questions. ;)

Last edited:
Oh thanks a ton! Would it be really bad for the chin to chew the fleece?.. I would refer her to this site but I know she wouldn't read any of the forums.. She's not really a reader. :(

While it's true that ALL chins are deserving of a loving home, it is also true that a fat, healthy chinchilla from a breeder is going to cost a lot less than one from a petstore.

When I fell in love with Mr. Whiskers in July, 2004, I paid $139.99 for him in a small petstore in Evanston, WY. He was smaller than I now know most chins are. I believe he may have been the runt of his litter. Two years later, I paid only $75 for The Snuggler, a fat, healthy baby who came with a pedigree from a breeder (Riven) in Nebraska.

I love both of my boys, so I would never discourage you from wanting a chinchilla. God knows, they quickly endear themselves to you and become a large part of your life. If you are in love with the petstore chinnie, then by all means take her home, but definitely have a vet look her over. If you are able to, go visit some breeders in your area, or attend some shows. Once you see the difference in size and quality, you may change your mind.

Good luck to you!!!

Hi Snow--welcome to the forum. S & S Exotics is not the best place at all to purchase animals. There are actually several organizations wanting to shut them down due to their wretched hedgehog practices.

There is a member on the forum in Texas Shawn Fitzsimmons who is looking for a home for his mother and daughter chin--perhaps you'd be interested in contacting him before getting a chin from this petstore.

The decision, of course, is totally yours. But you'll find most members would rather a chin be rescued or purchased from a reputable breeder before purchasing from a petstore.

I don't know if you'd like only one chin or would be interested in two, but Shawn has a mother and daughter pair, so they are well bonded. I don't know exactly where he is other than Southeast Texas. Here is his thread--it wouldn't hurt to contact him via a private message or on the post if you're interested.

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21427

Hello. Oh... Well I already bought my chin today! He's a homo beige and is 6 months! I made sure I got all the right stuff for him and all the right brand. And yeah I ended up getting a boy because they had no girls, but that's okay because he's the cutest thing I've ever seen! My family actually bought a 3 month hedgie from s and s exotics too, what's wrong with their hedges should I be worried??

I have 2 questions, we're still in the car ride home but My chin makes these squeaking noses I thought they were sneezes at first, but I think they're just noises now, this is normal? And also while I was playing with him a little I noticed he had a kind of, not mat but like where it looked like he was wet before spot under his arm, is it possible he peed on himself? Normal? How do I clean that just a dust bath? Thankyou! I'll upload a pic of him later <3 :c a lot of chins coats in there looked oily or something, his isn't bad though, should I give him a Bath tonight or tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back