A not so new owner with new chinchillas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

Just found these fourms today, and this is naturaly my first post. Im looking for any ideas or suggestions to help improve my chins quality of life.

Back Story: I got my first chinchilla Chico, male age unknown; back around the end of 2007 or 2008. I was working at the time, most nights i didnt even have enough time to eat much less give a chin full attention unfortionitly. But i was somehow able to work it in.

I was in my apartment one night when i got a knock on my door form my brother. He was in the process of moving back to new jersey form PA, and asked if i could watch the chin for a while. At this point i had never even heard of a chinchilla much less had experence with them. But i took him in, and thats how i meet Chico. Unfortionitly for the little guy he has been takein in several times. So i have no clue who his origional owner was, or how old he is. Tho he was a full grown adult when i meet him.

Needless to say after a ~2h rid form PA to nj, in a small cage to fit in the back of car, he was not a happy chin. He would start barking like crazy if you even walked near his cage much less tried to approch him.

He came with a Ferret Nation cage that was put back together, which he lives in now. Unfortionitly, my brother didnt no he needed a chew block or chew toys so he chewed to nice size wholes in the bottem floor tray.

Since then hes gotten chew toys and what not and doesnt chew the floor anymore. He has become extremly comfortable with me. Several times he feel asleep in my lap when he was out to play. They were much simpler times lol.

Very much to my dissapointment, in june of 2008 i suffered a back injury with by september has lead me to being disabled. So since then iv had a fair amount of time to give my chins their attention needed.

You could see that Chico was a lonly chin, all by himself. So after many months of searching, i found a female play mate with her own ferret nation cage which the owner had to give up. So i took her in. Had their cages next to each other to introduce them over time. Which worked quite well. They became very good friends.

Chico always trying to hop up on her' but she would never ever let him. So i didnt have to much concern in that area when time came to put them both into chicos cage. Once together, they got along great. No problems realy.

The plastic wheels form the pet store sucked, so i got them a Large metal flying saucer wheel. Which they all seem to like. They have a custom built hut thats the full size of a Ferret Nation shelf. With a fleece liner for the shelf. And i recently added a fleece pellow as well. I switched them over to Select Series Pro rabbit food, which was suggested to me by a formar breeder. Which my chins love. I feared the transition would be bad since the old pet store food had all them little 'treats' and stuff in their, and this was plain food. But the started eating the new food and wouldnt touch the old pet sotre kind. So i was in no mood to complain! :D Also switched over to Oxbow western timmathy hay as suggested by my vet. Which they also seemed to like more.

End Main Back Story lol

Begin extremly fightfull night:

Everything was normal till about october 19th 2010 i beleive. At the time i had two ferrets. And i had them out runnign the apartment that night. And they get into everything, thats nothing new. And while they were out, i heard son squelling coming form under the refridgerator. Again, not entirly unusal from them ferrets, but i ran out to check anyway.

Keep in mind, this fridge is 20+ years old. Theirs no front cover on the bottem. And it was pretty lined with layers of dust to point of being a blanket. (It was jsut to hard to get into to clean it.) But i ran out to check. I hit the breaker to shut of power to the fridge. If something was going wrong, better to have it shut down. I get down on my hands and knees to check. (Due to dust layers, u cant see under their well) And jsut then i see my ferret wlak out the other side perfectly fine. Ok... but im alread down their, so i mine as well check.

And sure enough i can jsut barley see a very small animal head with whiskers. My first thought was its probably a mouse. Theyve been known to get in on ocasion. Expect 'it' wasnt moveing much. It stayed put. And mice always run away. I get a flash light, and im laying their staring at it. (couldnt reach in to grab it, not that i would before knowing what it was) As im stareing at it, much much much to my suprise, it startes to look like a mini chinchilla!!! 0.0

So im watching it, becomeing more and more convinced it is a chin, when he finaly did the chin's classic hand across the nose manuver. Combined with the fact it looked exactly like chico, i was **** sure it was a chinchilla.

Except i had no clue where he came from! Sophie (female chin) had never shown any signs of being pregnet what so ever. Considering many months earlier, she did show sign, but turned out to be false signs. This time, no signs at all. So it never occured to me.

With the help of a friend and a good hour or two, he was able to get the fridge out enough to coax him out of hiding from under my fridge. He was soooo small. And i had no clue what to do lol. It was like 9pm or so, so not liek i could call a vet, and i didnt rly no anyong that new of chins.

When he first came out. Having no clue what to do or where he came from, I placed him in the small animal carrier i had. That was intill he very quickly excaped from it. Fit right through them bars.

So i placed him in a box (no roof) with a towel underneath. Having not expected baby chins, i new nothing about caring for them. He wouldnt drink the water. Obviously didnt eat the food.

I was worried about placing a chin of unknown oragion in a cage with my two chins. But i finaly talked myself into it figureing.. its New jersey (north east usa) theirs no way a a baby chin jsut happened to wonder up like a mouse would. Their was only one way he could of gotten here. And both my chins were extremly intent at watching when we were trying to get him from the fridge.

So under observation i put him back in the cage. Sophie ran away at first which scared me. But then came right back and starting takeing care of him. And the kit was quick to run for a nipple. Im sure he was hungry. But they all got alone fine.

I took him to the vet the follwoing day. Trying to explain how u found a baby under a fridge at a vets office when u had no idea he exsisted, is a **** of a story to get by. But the kit was fine.

The vet estimated him to be around 9 days old. Which was when my jaw hit the floor again. Im not that much of a screw up lol. I would notce a thrid chin in my chage after 9 days!! The only conclusion i could come up with assuming that estimate was accurate was he was born in the large hut. Which is possible. You cant realy see in that unless u specficly go into the cage to look. But thats a terrifying thought, and youll see why when i add the picture down below.

But that still left the mystery of how he got form the hut on the second floor, to undernearth my fridge. That was entill i came out and found him running across my floor. I was able to get him, and put him back in the cage, which is when i saw for the first time, his oh so easy excape between the bars on my FN cage. Lets jsut say now, that im so glad he out grew the ability to do that.

Its amazing hes alive. And im truly greatfull. Defenitly own my ferret Zoey for that find. Needless to say, she got an extra treat that night lol.

Of course the fun didnt last. Remember when i said that fridge was old? Remember when i said i hit the breaker? Well the fridge never quite worked right since then. And i was forced to spend 900 some getting a new fridge. So that baby cost me a **** fourtion!

It was a team effort tho. Fridge housed him, ferret found him, friend recovered him. It was an eventfull night.. And considering sophie was pregent without me knowing, he was born with out me knowing, excaped without me knowing, and the rest of the event jsut described... i could think of only one name for the little guy: Houdini

End of fightfull night. lol

Their was one after effect form that whole incedent tho. It was 9-10 days before i new houdini was alive. And as it turns out, chinchillas can get pregnet right after giving birth. -_-

Atlease this time i was preparred tho. And on Feb 7, 2011 sophie gave birth to two kits. However, even being preparred wasnt quite enough. (Sophie is in seperate cage now, so no more kits) Even with preparing the cage so they couldnt excape, they sure did. As it would turn out.. baby chinchilla can climb to!

I should have thought of such a thing. Houdini would use his wheel to fling himself up high enough, grab on the vertical bars, climb up to the under side of the shelf with they fleece lining, get in, and use it as a hammok.

So i should have thought of that. The two kits are (i think velvet black) but seem to be called standard grey, and the other is (i think of as grey) but refered to as saphire. Just liek their parents. Sophie is grey; Chico, saphire.
(houdini saphire to) And sure enough the new saphire kit, a houdini look a like, is defenitly following houdinis example. The saphire kit (names Zaeo) has excaped that cage so many times. Way mmore then even houdini did. He can climb extremly well. He would climb over the covered spots of the cage, get above, then squeeze though and hop out.

Their 5 weeks old now, and look to be extremly close to not being able to fit though anymore. And i cant wait for that day!

End of long rant lol

----

I give credit to anyone who actuly read all that. I no its not my first instenct lol. However being at home all day from disability, and with recent disaster in japan, my only source of entermataintment (ffxi) shut down for a long while, I have a lot of time to type such long things lol.

Ill add their current living arrangmetn, that i was looking for suggestiong on, in a seperate thread. This ones plently long enough.

I do find one thing ironic tho. (yes aside from allllll that). I had to Two ferrets, and two chinchillas. And i desided that was enough pets. No more for now. ... ... ... So now i have 5 ferrets and 5 chinchillas....

So I read your entire thread - I am surprised your babies have survived honestly. I mean no offense, but common sense says to be prepared for the possibility of babies when you put a male and a female together. Anyways, what's done is done and I am glad you have seperated them (hopefully permanently). I am glad it didnt turn out badly that night, but the kits are still in danger if they are escaping. You need to find a cage with baby safe bar spacing or wrap the entire cage securely in hardwire cloth. The only safe cage bar spacing for babies not to escape the cage is either 1/2" x1/2" or 1/2" x 1". You need to move them immediately to a safer cage or take more precautions to prevent escapes. It's not ok for young kits to be escaping - they need to be with their mothers to stay warm and nurse, not to mention be safe from any number of hazards like ferrets. And once they get a little too big to fit through the bars and they try to get out they will get stuck and then could get badly injured trying to get loose or from you trying to free them. their bones are thin as tooth picks - it will not take much to break bones or kill them. Frankly, I am extremely concerned about them from what you have described!

Also babies should not have wheels in their cages. They should also not have high shelves - babies are extremely clumsy and could fall easily if the shelves are too high and injure themselves. Could you post some pictures of their current cages? That might help us give you some safety advice.

Please be sure to wean any male kits from the mother NO later than 7 weeks or 200gs. They will and can try to breed with sisters or mom. If you need help sexing the kits please post pictures or refer to the top thread of the breeding and babies section.

Also for the colors if the mom is a standard gray and the dad is a sapphire there is no possible way to get a black velvet out of that combination - the only possible outcomes are standard grays, standard gray sapphire carriers and sapphires. We would need to see pictures to tell.

Um, I'd just like to say, please keep ferrets away from chins - I bet you your chins will be the happier for it, so that's one thing you can do for them. I sincerely doubt your ferret Zoey was just being 'helpful' when she found the kit - as far as you know, there could have been more than one kit originally, since that one was about nine days old when found. I have cats, and although I know they actually wouldn't touch my chin, I still wouldn't want to take the risk of them in the same room as him, they'd scare him if nothing else. They might not touch an adult chin (I would still never rely on this despite how well I know them), but would certainly kill a kit if given any opportunity.

I would also say, make sure you get all the babies sexed correctly (mistakes are often made with this if people aren't sure what to look for - look at pics. online, maybe get a chin experienced vet to do it), and males separated from mum and sisters at eight weeks. It sounds like you really need a kit safe cage, even if you aren't planning to have more kits (right decision, I'm glad to hear that), and you will quite possibly need more cages anyway, so it would be good to get one asap. You are unlikely to be able to keep males caged together in the same room as a female, as even with no access to the female they will tend to fight over her (makes no difference if they're neutered, either). Good luck with them all.

Many people keep males in the same room with females with no issues...not saying fighting couldnt happen but the OP could do same sex pairings.

A male and a female together and it never occurred to you that you'd get kits?
I would also agree that the ferret was probably not being helpful when it found the kit. You were probably moments away from never even knowing there was a kit.
You've come to the right place for information. Read, read, read.

Many people keep males in the same room with females with no issues...not saying fighting couldnt happen but the OP could do same sex pairings.

True, I should've mentioned that, thanks for reminding me, I know some people do do it and are Ok, just thought the OP might not want to take the risk. :)) I wonder if the number of males makes any difference or not, I seem to hear quite a few people saying they've had no luck having more than two males together on a long term basis (though, again, know this isn't always the case). I guess spare cages are a must, either way, when keeping chins together.

I did figure the possibilites of kits. But sophie never let him touch her in that manner. After a few months, that concern fades to the back of your mind. But i saw NO signs of pregnecy for that first kit, so i had no idea he was coming.

I dont let my ferrets and chincs out at the same time. I had no idea he was alive till my ferret found him, which im so gratfull for. Not that i would ever put it to the test, but my ferret Zoey that found the kit, is beyond a gentel girl. She could have gotten to the kit long befor i could have. Fourtionitly she found him, and then walked away. (glad she found it and not my younger male ferret)

I checked under the fridge again after getting houdini, and every corner, cuboard, little hiding spot i could find in this apartment. I didnt find any other baby chins. It was also Sophies very first litter. So its possible it was jsut one chin. Plus showing no signs.

As for the new babys, I have absolutly no room for anotehr cage (have 4 already) not to mention no money to get one. (not a lot of money to make being physicaly diabled) So im stuck with what i have. Their living in a 2 floor ferret nation cage. However the second floor is completly unexcessable. Iv taken out all shelves and ramps. And the wheel is not in their cage, its in the fathers cage. The only issue is them excaping.

I have cardboard slabs around the edges to stop them from getting out. Not the greatest soultion, but the only one i can find that i have available at the moment. The tray for the second floor is removed as to allow air circulation and light into the cage. Since then, neither of the kits have excaped.

After getting the kits used to comeing out to play with mommy, i started introducing them to their father chin, Chico, and their older brother Houdini. While im always out their with them, they still seem to all get along jsut fine. Now they come out with Sophie, and when its her time to go back in, i then let chico and houdini come out with the kits.

Good thing they get along other wise id have an extra problem on my hands. Only have two cages, and now i have 5 chins. 4 males, and one female. Fourtionitly all the males seem to get along, so im hoping that when the kits come of age, they will move in with father chico, and brother houdini.

Which will leave me with the problem i origionaly faced a few years back. - Chico was lonly, i got him a paly mate. Now chico will have plenty of company that he helped create. But the chin (sophie) i took in to aleavate his lonlyness, will be lonely herself.

For that im rly struggelign to find a suitable option. I can not get another chinchilla. 5 is enough. From what iv heard, i seriosuly dont liek the idea of getting a chin fixed. Not worth their lives. Plus chico has a heart murmur problem, so it would be even more risky on him. So no way im going to. I sure as **** aint going to let them jsut all live together. Thats a million problems in a bottle. I had hoped when she was pregnet that she would have a female, but that didnt happen. So im not sure what to do about it.

---

I couldnt get the link to posting pictures to work, but here are a few.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/NecroticGod/?action=view&current=Houdini_Hammok.jpg
As described in origional post, Houdini makeing the fleece lineing of the shelf his personal hammok'

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/NecroticGod/?action=view&current=Sophie_Houdini_02.jpg
Sophie answering the question that every mother has as some point. What do i do with this kid when im tired and want to go to sleep?

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/NecroticGod/?action=view&current=Chin_cage_05.jpg
And this one of the cage that Chico and Houdini currently live in. Ironicly the only chin you see in that pic is Sophie from back when she lived their.
I didnt think it was to bad a set up, till i saw some of the pics in the FN cage thread lol. You cant see it form the angle of that pic, but their also an edible hut below the shel on the first floor. It came with a hay roof, but chico tore that apart on day one.
The ladder on the second floor does concern me. It is a bit steep, but the seem to have no problems with it. And with the large wheel their, the shelf cant fit any lower.
The white ladder is a bit longer then the standerd FN ramps, and came with Chico. I have no clue where it came from tho.

FYI: That gerbil looking wheel on top of the cage i did not buy. That came with sophie. Her formor owner used it. The only good thing i can say about it is atleast its not like a standerd mouse wheel. Their are bars going both vertical and horazontal on the runnig surface, creating little squars, so small that a chinchilla could not get their foot cought in it. However its still a bad wheel, and i dont use it.

Well right now, my female is in one cage with the kits, and my Males (chico and houdini: father, son) are in another seperate cage right next to her cage. (i have nowhere else to fit the cages) And it works for the most part. Chico gets a bit anxious about not being able to reach sophie. But it hasnt caused any problems between him and houdini.

True, I should've mentioned that, thanks for reminding me, I know some people do do it and are Ok, just thought the OP might not want to take the risk. :)) I wonder if the number of males makes any difference or not, I seem to hear quite a few people saying they've had no luck having more than two males together on a long term basis (though, again, know this isn't always the case). I guess spare cages are a must, either way, when keeping chins together.
I don't personally think the number of males makes a difference. At one point we had 5 males living together in a large cage, in the same room with our breeder (female and male) chins. Never had a problem or fight break out in that cage. It's still good to have spare cages on hand - but I've yet to have males go nuts on each other because females are in the room.

I guess ill start with suggestions on their cage and diet. (plus any comments form anything above obviosuly)

Their diet i think is is pretty good. They eat Select Series Pro Rabbit food. Which was suggested to me be a formor breeder. I swited over to Oxbow western timathy hay. They seem to like both very much. And am currently useing Blue Cloud (if i recall correctly) sand for their baths. Which they again liked a lot more then the other kind i was sueing before. (not exactly diet, but its close in the sence that i have to alwyas get more)

Their treats id like to hear some suggestions on. I recently found out a few arnt to good for them, and have stopped giving them to em. Which currently leaves me useing pretzel shaped chin treats form the pet store. (not actul pretzels), Cheerio's, and rasions. Tho their not used to getting raisons.

I do have banna chips that i used for my ferrets. But im not sure how well they would work. Their very hard have can spliter when broken. I used to also have them apple bark treats. But sadly the price of them at the store has gone threw the roof. And the ones i got online are a bit to big for the chins to manage.

I was suggested some things like quacker oats (rolled oats), diffrent dried fruits which didnt work well before, but with new chins, maybe. Shredded wheat (unfrosted) and such.

--

As for their cage;
d1...in_cage_05.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...in_cage_05.jpg

I didnt think it was to bad to till i saw the FN cage thread with all the pictures. It does have en edible hut down below that u cant see in that pic.

I dont realy like the ladder in the second shelf leading to the hut, but im not aware of any other real options.

I was courious to what other ppl use as a hay dish. Iv traied several ranging from a mere bowl, to that spinning sphere dish that hangs on the side of a cage and u stuff with hay, to the tall green dish u see in that picutre. None work to well. Altho the green one is best so far. They also waste a lot of hay. Their a bit picky with it.

absolutely NO dried fruits (that includes raisins). Also I would never use any 'treats' that pet stores sell. Most have way too much sugar in them. Unfrosted shredded wheat is good and a few cheerios a month is ok. The best 'treats' are chin friendly woods. Several people there sell good work. No matter what you use to hold hay chins waste a lot - just a fact of life. Some people like ceramic flower pots

Also, no treats for chins under 6 months old, especially the kits. They need momma's milk and they will probably munch on her pellets and hay as well.

absolutely NO dried fruits (that includes raisins).

every person iv ever spoken to that has chins, has given them raisens.

Also, no treats for chins under 6 months old, especially the kits.

Kits i can understand.. but 6 months???? I can gaurentee you, my chin, houdini, would not like you lol

Even at 5 weeks old, if i give my mommy chin a treat, them kits hound her like crazy to try and get a peice.

The edible hut is not good either...contains sugar I think which they can not digest well. I would look at the food suggestions on this site. While some brands of rabbit pellets are ok yours is not on this list. It might be better to switch them to Mazuri or Oxbow pellets. Treats that are ok are Rose Hips, Cheerios, Unfrosted Shredded Wheat, Rolled Oats not instant, and of course they love wood. Be sure to check out the safe wood link in FAQ to make sure they are getting the right kind.

Just as an fyi, you don't have a sapphire, you have a standard grey (the mom) and the dad is a hetero beige. So if your kits are grey, they would also be standard greys, not black velvets.

The edible hut is not good either...contains sugar I think which they can not digest well. I would look at the food suggestions on this site. While some brands of rabbit pellets are ok yours is not on this list. It might be better to switch them to Mazuri or Oxbow pellets. Treats that are ok are Rose Hips, Cheerios, Unfrosted Shredded Wheat, Rolled Oats not instant, and of course they love wood. Be sure to check out the safe wood link in FAQ to make sure they are getting the right kind.

The edible hut is sold specificly for chinchillas. And mine have that hut for many years. Its used more as a chew toy then anything.

As for the Select Serioes Pro feed. that was recommended to me by a chinchilla breeder.
NecroticGod

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/NecroticGod/?action=view&current=2424129.jpg

Godofgods, all the advice you are getting here is correct. If you are going to try to argue with everything, why ask for the advice?

Raisins are not good for chinchillas. They are way too sugary. Chinchillas are hind gut fermentors. They have bacteria in their gut that aids in digestion. Introducing sugar to their diet can cause these bacteria to overgrow, throwing the entire digestion system out of whack. A product of bacteria is gas, and this gas can cause the chinchilla to bloat which can be very painful and even deadly.

As for the log. Just because something is marketed for chinchillas does not mean it is safe. Pet stores have many things marketed for chins that are no where near safe i.e. plastic balls, plastic wheels, yogurt drops, the list goes on and on.

As for your feed, some people feed the Manna Pro Sho series, but I do not think the plain Pro feed is recommended.

Back