A couple malo questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have xrays of healthy teeth/roots? I've seen a few on here showing root elongation, but without a comparison (or having the problem areas pointed out), it's a bit difficult to determine what's what.

Also, being the paranoid chin mom that I am, I'm just a little concerned about Kenai. He often has a tiny goober at the inner corners of his eyes (and almost always happens on dusting days), but not what I would consider watery/runny/discharge. Are some chin's eyes just more sensitive than others, causing these little goobers, or is it always indicative of a problem? He also sometimes "paws his mouth", but honestly, to me it looks like hes trying to itch his paw rather than get at something in his mouth. Aside from these minor things, there are no other symptoms (great appetite/no problems eating, maintaining/gaining weight, no drool or anything of that sort), so am I just being paranoid or might there be a reason to be concerned? Thanks in advance :))

I have several chins that get those eye goobers after dusting. I have to think that I'd get yucky stuff in the corner of my eyes if I had to dust too. :)

Most likely it's a small allergy to the dust. All the things you mentioned above are what to look out for. If you see them, then worry. I wouldn't worry about a little white stuff in the corner of his eyes unless he seems really irritated by it. Then you might need some antibiotic or rewetting drops to put in them.

I'm pretty sure someone has posted x-rays of good teeth on here, we just need to find them.

For me, when Mei got malo, I just knew. Being around chins long enough gives you a sense of when something is off.

I didn't take photos of her eyes before she was gone, but they weren't goobers. It was like tears. So that the rims around her eyes looked wet constantly, and the fur there was a bit wet looking.

And hers was a constant pawing at her mouth. I saw her eat, so I had hope, but I knew finally when she dropped some alfalfa hay (a treat for them) and pawed at her mouth, something definitely was up. She would also scratch at her mouth with her back feet, much like a dog does on occasion.

Her poops also got gradually smaller (I'm assuming as she started eating less and less) at first I didn't think much of it since the girls had started not eating the PANR real well and I was transitioning them back over to Mazuri, but then they got tiny and that just wasn't right.

This is a link to someone's site that says it's a normal x-ray. Having not seen them much I'm not sure if it is, but I know they looked shorter than Mei's
http://chinnitude.com/assets/images/dentalside.jpg

Okay, I can't edit my last post, but I did some searching for you...

Here's the FAQ thread about Malo. It has a lot of good info

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847

Specifically here is an x-ray of good roots
http://www.chincare.com/IMAGES/healthmed/teeth/x-raygoodteeth.jpg

Then this is what Mei had also, brown staining on her chin and paws due to the drool, not to this extent, but it was noticeable
http://www.chincare.com/IMAGES/healthmed/teeth/malocclusionsigns.jpg

So I'm saying that at this point, I don't think you should worry. There will be more signs if there is indeed malo. Sometimes people don't know what to look for, but that FAQ gives lots of good info on what to look out for.

My ex. dark eb gets white eye goobers after dusting. I think that they are kind of like when we get them. It's dirt and other junk... I think it's just the "water in the eye" helping get the extra dust off.

Thanks, I figured I was probably worried over nothing, but it's good to hear from those with experience. Alli and Amanda, thank you for digging up all the info/images!

Latest posts

Back