2012 Ca State Show, Sacramento, CA Jan 21-22, 2012

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know me...gotta have me some fettucine!

Lynn, the weather out here has been very odd. Personally, I'm going between the Mojave desert and Orange County so I don't know about the weather up north.

The days are nice and you can go without a jacket if you're wearing a sweater. Nights and early mornings have been very cold though...40s to mid 30s.

Just wondering if anyone has a really nice ebony female for breeding that is for sale at this show? I am waiting to hear back from Ralph but he will be delivering chins to me either before or after the show. If he is delivering after the show I would like to see if he would be kind enough to snatch her for me at the show when he leaves . Just a thought rite now but if you have one just let Me know please so i can talk to Ralph about it when he calls me back with a decision on what they are doing ! Thanks !

I cant wait to see my Cali girls! I will be donating a sterling silver and swarovski necklace and earring set for the raffle.

Please send me a PM if you would like me to bring you kiwi wood to the show...It will be offered at a discount price for the show weekend, however I will have limited quantities, so please let me know ahead of time.

Sarah... can't wait! This year is going to be a blast! So excited you are bringing jewelry again. I won your jewelry at the last show and it is beautiful...

My raffle donation prize:
StateShow003-1.jpg

I know this has been answered before, but I can't bring it up through a search. I ordered a Ryersons's carrier to bring my girls in. What is safe to put in there when traveling? Just shavings and hay? Can I put a hay cube in there? And do you all bring pellets and water bottles for them to have in the show hall overnight? The compartments in the carrier are quite small, also wondering where I'd put pellets in there.

Yes, in your carrier you can put shavings and hay. When the animals are in the cages for an extended period of time, for example, driving out of state, I use hay cubes. Otherwise, alot of times they will lay the hay down as bedding and make a mess of themselves. But in your case, it should be fine to put loose hay in there or a hay cube.

Ryerson also sells show cage feeders. This is what most ranchers use at shows to feed. I should have some extra feeders at this show if you can't find any in the next week.

As far as water bottles go, Sumiko (aznmexaggie) sells the smaller travel bottles, which are perfect for show cages.

As soon as you get to the show, you can transfer your animal over to a show cage and get all set up. I would bring loose hay with you to give overnight.

See you next week!

Thanks, Shahna. Is the one the Ryerson's sell for show cages the small J feeders? Don't know if I'd be able to get those in time. I will look for small food cups at my local feed store, if I can't find them I will send you a PM to see if I could use some of yours.

Even if my girls are just doing the baby derby, there are show cages reserved for them as well?

Another PM sent to Sumiko. Poor Sumiko. :D

I am making a lot of hay boxes today. I will have them for sale at a vendor booth for $12 each or $10 for two or more! This is a show special only, the regular prices for these boxes are $15 each or $12 for two or more.

Can't wait to see everyone at the show, be safe traveling!

Hey, Cali girls -- what is the weather like in Sacramento in January???? I'm used to wearing a cashmere sweater and down vest in the show hall. Will that be too warm to be running around on Friday when I arrive??? Just wondering...

Lynn, we have a cold front coming through just for your arrival. Its supposed to rain this weekend. Bring your umbrella!

Can you believe all this beautiful weather we've had and now it has to change? No fair.

I can't wait for all the great shopping deals. Thanks for the heads-up, Tabitha. I actually need some hay boxes.

No problem! I was only able to make 12 this weekend, so find me early if you can. Once they are gone, they're gone for that price. ;)

Also, I said it on another thread but thought I'd mention it here. For anyone wanting to groom, Sumiko and I should have extra time on Saturday before the show so bring your chinnies, even if they're "just" pets! We'll be happy to do grooming demonstrations and/or one on one teaching. Entering a chin in the show is a great way to get involved and it's very exciting to see your babies up there. If anyone is coming that can't bring a chinchilla, but would like to learn how to groom, send me a message before Friday and I will make sure I have an extra chinchilla for grooming demonstrations!

Hope you guys have a good turn out and a great show! I really wish I could make it. I would have liked to been able to bring the Blue Diamonds to show to your California group. I should have several Blue Diamonds, both males and females, as well as double carrier females available for sale. I may be able to arrange transportation of BD's and double carrier animals back to CA from CO show in Feb. and ECBC Natl's in March. PM me for more info if interested. Have a great time and good luck to all at your show!

Last edited:
I will be donating a standard male out of two GSC Bowens standards to the show. He is a 1st place animal. :))

Back