2012 CA ECBC Fall Field Day-Santa Nella, CA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live within an hours drive of the location where the event is being held, any idea if attendance will require any additional fees for me if I was just being there for the day and didn't need a room? I know there is an entry fee for each animal being entered, but I mean other fees?

Jeremiah, there is no entrance fee to the event. Spectators are encouraged and welcome! There are vendors that will be there selling items and it is going to be an educational day. You are more than welcome to participate in anything we offer, such as judging the classes which can be a very fun and educational event! If you want to learn how to groom, but you do not have the grooming tools, don't worry! We have many members that bring extra grooming tools and also members who will be done grooming when the grooming demonstration comes around that will lend out their tools.

Thanks for the info! If I can make it, I plan on leaving home shortly after lunch on Friday. It is a 5 hour trip for me so that would put me there at 5 or 6 pm. I might be able to get there sooner. I need to see what I can do. I will will be bringing my son again so more hands to help if needed. Now to see what I can do to make this all happen.

Hey, quick question. How do tans do in the shows? I was thinking of bringing my tan male. I know he would be judged with the beige class. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to bring him along.

It depends on the tan. I've seen some take 1st places, but we haven't had any really exceptional tans that take higher than that on the table. The tans are first judged against each other for placings of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th and then only the 1st place animals from the tan group are judged against the beiges for class champion. They typically don't go up to CC or RCC because the beige class is just so tough. A good tan can easily take a 1st place though.

I was thinking of bringing a tan v/c as well along with a mosaic. I have no hope of them placing or anything. But I am really interested to see what the judges will say about them and especially about the white that I'll be bringing. She is, in my opinion, the best quality of all my animals. I'd imagine the whites have quite a bit of competition though as well, right?

All of our classes have good competition! The amount of animals in each class varies between shows. Sometimes we will have as few as one animal in a class (usually the sapphire or violet classes) and sometimes we can have as many as 30 in a class. It all depends on what each breeder brings. All of the classes have been tough competition the past few years, but don't let that deter you! The more animals in the class, the better the judging IMO. You give the judge more animals to look at and compare your animal to, so you get an even better idea of weaknesses and strengths. That said, the two classes that have been the toughest competition the past few years are the black velvet and beige classes. Those two have been taking top of the table at almost every show. There have been other colors/classes that take RGSC, but a black or beige is almost always in that top spot the past few years.

Maybe that is why when I was looking around I couldn't find a BV anywhere, all the other breeders must be holding on to them...lol I had actually considered bringing my male BV as well, but being a first timer, I think I'll have my hands full with just bringing two....

Bring however many you'd like! As long as you arrive early, you should have plenty of time to groom three chinchillas. I took three chinchillas to my first show and there was plenty of time to teach myself and my friend how to groom the chinchillas! We ended up with a fourth place, a third place and a second place...you should have seen me dancing when I got the second place. I had to leave the show hall because I was too excited. He was a little six month old beige male that I had hand fed and the first baby out of my show lines!

BV's are very hard to find! Most are snatched up at shows if they are sold at all. I personally hold onto all of my blacks...I just don't have many born here. I only have four right now that are growing out and at least two, maybe three will be staying here.

I think I will bring my tan just to see how he stacks he's one of my babies and I would really like to know his good and bad points (not just my own biased point of view).

That will be great, Cornelia! I'm excited to see him. We have not seen many high quality tans on the table in the past, it's a mutation I would definitely like to see more of!

Also, I will be donating two chinchillows at this field day. They are made out of blue, snowflake fleece...just in time for the holiday season! The chinchillow is a small throw pillow in the shape of a chinchilla! Great for decoration or a little napping pillow!

Attachments

• Chinchillow.jpg
    Chinchillow.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4
This may have been asked before, but about how long do these events normally last? I just found out that a friend of mine went and scheduled his wedding for the same day... of all the days they could have picked....it would figure :banghead: and then to top it off they planned it for 3:30 pm, so basically I'll have to be back on the road at 2 pm in order to have any shot to make it back to modesto in time.

The shows usually run until 3 or 4pm in the afternoon. We can do the mutation show first so that your chins can be judged and ready to head out by 2pm if that works? It wouldn't make the handling or organization of the show any harder or different.

That would be great. I've really been looking forward to this show, and can't wait to go. Having the mutations go first would be great for me, especially if it doesn't disrupt the normal flow of events. I'd hate to think that the order of things was being changed just for me, but if it really is no big deal then that would be great. It's really appreciated.

It won't be any problem at all! It will be great to meet you!

The show is 5 weeks away! I hope everyone is dusting their chinnies and getting them ready. Looks like I will have about 6 chinnies to show depending on their cooperation. Also, please make sure you bring a raffle item! We ask that raffle items be worth $5 or more, though you are making the donation so anything you can donate would be great! The items do not need to be chinchilla related. In the past we have had wooden toys, perches, wooden houses, gift baskets, blankets, wine, coffee mugs, organic tea, organic jelly, candles and many many many more items.

I can bring a case of beer or similar to donate. My husband works for Lagunitas Brewing. Since it seems like you've roped me into attending, Tabitha! ;)

Woohoo! The enabler strikes again! Maybe we can groom Chelsea during the grooming demonstration? You can use my combs!

Anything you could bring to donate would be awesome! We have had gift sets from Sierra Brewing before. Craft beers are always welcome and will probably ensure I have to buy more tickets to try to bring something home for the giant man. ;)

We are three weeks away! I hope everyone is excited and getting their chins all dusted and ready for the show!

For those that aren't familiar with the field days, there will be a quick lunch break during the show. It will only be about 30 minutes and the club will have a lunch available. It's $5 per person and it is usually build your own sandwich, chips and fruit. We will also have a few breakfast items in addition to the continental breakfast that the hotel offers.

We should have a pretty good turn out for this show and I'm excited to see everyone again and meet a few of you for the first time!

Jeremiah I will have your dust. Also if any one else needs dust, please let me know.

Tabitha, Sumiko or Shahna please don't forget ear tags I do need 9.

See everyone there.

Of course, Nan! Ruth and Gary will have the eartags and then they will be with the show chair box of goodies for future shows. You should be able to tag on Friday night, if not, we can get those done on Saturday morning BEFORE the animals are put into show cages.

Back