2012 CA ECBC Fall Field Day-Santa Nella, CA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
** 2012 California ECBC Fall Field Day **
Santa Nella, CA
October 20th, 2012

Event Location / Lodging:

Hotel de Oro
13070 State Hwy. 33
Santa Nella, CA 95322-9744
Phone: (209) 826-4444
Ask for the Empress Chinchilla rate!

Schedule:

Grooming 6am-9am
Grooming demonstration by Pamela Oldham 9-9:30am
TBA 9:30am-11:00am
11:00am Judging Begins

Judges:

Donna Read

Show Chair:

Tabitha Lindsay – [email protected]

No charge for admission to the event.
$5.00 per animal for members,
$7.50 per animal for non-members

Special Events:

Raffle & 50/50 Drawing
Audience judging – Audience members interested in participating may submit their names to the show table. Two inexperienced members and one experienced member will be randomly selected to judge each class. This will be a great opportunity to learn the judging process, so we encourage everyone to participate!

Other Info:

Junior breeder awards - for those with 7 years or less breeding and showing experience, points counted for all animals entered.

Silent Auction Show:

Listing Prices: $75 minimum/ $500 maximum, Silent Auction format. Bid increment 10%, with a minimum bid of $10.

**10% of all animal sales during the show weekend, is payable to the CA ECBC Group by the selling rancher/breeder, regardless if the animal is shown or not.**

There will not be CA ECBC ear tags for field days. We will be marking any unmarked chinchilla with a sharpie on the ear and recording the numbers at the table. If you have an unmarked chinchilla, please come to the show table when you FIRST arrive and we will mark your chinchillas. It's important that the writing be in one person's hand writing and also important that the registration table have it recorded, so please don't mark your chinchillas at home.

The CA ECBC tags will be available at the State show for $1.00 each. If you would like tags instead at the field day, I will talk to the board members and see if they want to make them available at the field day.

The California group has decided to buy eartags marked with lettering specific to the group and numbers on the other side. These tags will be available at sanctioned shows for members and non-members that do not have eartags. At a sanctioned event, ALL the animals must have eartags for identification purposes. So these are tags for people who have untagged animals at the show and don't have their own tags for their animals.

Most ranchers and breeders will buy their own set of tags with their unique brand on it.

Tabitha - I would like to get ear tags at the Oct show if possible. This will also help me if I decide to go to the OR show in Dec.

For someone attending a show for this first time, is it okay to show a chinchilla that does not have a pedigree? Also would there be any recommendations for a first timer? Does it matter what age the chins are to be shown? If you were showing for the first time, how many would you show?

If it was me I would show one without a pedigree at least you will get feed back, plus the experience putting an animal in the show. If you decide you want to show I suggest to purchase some nice quality animals.

I showed some that were 4 months old, some placed 2nd because they were young. I had one at 4 mths last year won RGSC in Oct then at the State show she placed RGSC again. I also showed some that were 5 years old or older that won 1st to RCC. Others placed 3rd, 2nd or 1st.

The 1st time I showed I believe I showed 5 of the babies that were born here. I was surprised that all of them did pretty well.

Last edited:
Nan, I will email everyone tonight and hopefully get a response by the end of the week about the tags. I am sure we should not have a problem having them available at the field day.

Jeremiah, a chinchilla does not have to have a pedigree in order to be shown. We just need an estimated date of birth (just a year is fine) and you need to note that you did not breed the animal. Just put "N/A" for the ranch brand. We don't recommend that animals with unknown backgrounds be bred, but showing is a worthwhile experience and you will learn a lot. It is a fun event and having an animal on the table helps you feel more involved in the show.

Cornellia, there is no set age that a chinchilla must be to be shown, though we encourage 6 months or older unless the animal is exceptional for its age. I have shown 4 and 5 month old chinchillas as has Nan and Shahna and Sumiko. Some of them do very well, some don't...so you take a chance with the younger chins, but if they look nice and you want comments bring them along!

Thanks! I will do that. I have a couple of little ones here that I am considering showing if I can make it to t he show. I am doing everything I can to make sure that I am there.

It would be great if you could make it! We'd love to see you and your beautiful chinnies again!

Nan just PM'ed me and reminded me about the tags. I did hear back from a couple of the board members and we are going to go ahead and make the tags available at the fall field day. They will be available at all of the California shows. Tags are required for sanctioned events like our state show, but for field days you may opt to not buy an eartag and instead, we will mark the ear of your chinchillas (which is not a permanent mark).

Tabitha - thanks for finding out about the ear tags. I might have 9 babies that need tags.

I can also bring dust along if anyone needs any just need to know ahead of time.

Just had a couple of quick questions since this would be my first show to go to of any sort. What are the requirements for cages to be shown in? I remember seeing something about it at one point but I'm not sure. Are there specific dimensions that they need to be? I'm assuming all wire, but what about the litter pan situation? How does that work? Should the cage for show have a wire floor with a slide in tray for litter under the wire? Sorry if these are complete newbie questions, but I don't want to show up with the wrong stuff. Also what kind of turn out is expected at an event like this? I mean just in general, I'm sure it varies and everything, but I was just curious around about how many people normally attend and about how many animals are shown in each category.

We usually have between 20-30 people there with around 15 or so people showing chins. Lots of people like to bring family and friends to the show. :)

Don't apologize for the questions! We post these events up ahead of time for planning and so that we can answer any questions you might have before the show. The number for the categories and the number of chins there always varies. We usually end up just around 100 animals total, about 40-50 being standards and the rest are mutations. You never really know how many of each mutation will show up!

For the cage the chinchilla will be shown in, that will be provided by the group. So all you need to worry about is a carrier to transport your chinchilla to and from the show. If you have grooming combs, bring those along! There will be a grooming demonstration as well as several seasoned members that will sit with you to walk you through grooming. If you can, please also bring a towel for your lap for grooming. Just a regular bath towel works. Most people prefer to use colors like white or blue (I get made fun of at every show for my yellow or red towels, lol).

We're just about two months out from the show! I hope everyone is getting their animals ready and getting excited for this show!

I wanted to let everyone know ahead of time that as an added precaution for this show, we will have exhibitors writing down their animals' eartag numbers on their show forms. Again, for those that do not use eartags and don't wish to use eartags, we will be using a sharpie to mark a number on your chinchilla's ear. That number is what you would record on the paper in place of the eartag number. We will explain the exact area as people arrive to the show hall. If you have any questions about this, please let me know!

I have a couple of questions. Is the show at the hotel? If we arrive Friday, do we keep the chins in our room or at the show location? I would like to help set up if possible. Is setup being done Friday evening or Saturday morning?

The show is held at the hotel in a large banquet hall. I believe the room is the Ponce de Leon, but I can't remember off the top of my head. When you check in, just ask them what hall and they will point you in the right direction.

You can keep your chinchilla's in the show hall for no charge, if you decide to keep them in your room they charge a "pet fee" and we encourage you to bring a large sheet to place under the carriers that you can shake outside the next morning to minimize mess in the room. Leaving them in the show hall overnight is secure as we do lock the door before we head to bed. No one is allowed in the show hall without the show chair or a person the show chair appoints to oversee things present.

Set up happens on Friday afternoon as soon as the equipment arrives. Sometimes it is there at 1pm, sometimes it is there at 3pm and sometimes it gets there much later due to unforeseen circumstances. We plan on having the equipment there by 4pm to start the set up.

I will be setting up a vendor table this year at the show. If you are looking for something specific, check out my website at www.qualitymutationchinchillas.com and place your order ahead of time (Pm or email me for more information).

10% of sales will go to the CA ECBC Group.

I should have the following available:
- Fleece Sets (Tubes / Ledges / Fleece Bungalows / Hammocks / FN Liners)
- Variety of Supplements / Fun treats

Back