Kit with tiny/no eyes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I had a new baby born today. FINALLY! This girl is a 1 - 30 -07 model and had actually pretty much given up on her breeding for me.

Anyway, she had a baby today and it has TINY eyes!

They were shut, thinking it happens, so I gently worked on opening them and there was a flood... but it wasn't goo or puss, it was simply clear fluid like tears! The one I did get open, but the eye lids/opening is tiny! There appeared to be an eye in one, the other I could not see an eye, but it too was tiny. I didn't want to hurt him or make anything worse so I didn't push it too much until I maybe got some more information from anyone who might have had something like this happen before.

Anyone? Any thoughts?

Micropthalmia has been reported in a few chins I believe - it sounds like that is what your little one has. A friend of mine has a chin with one very small eye. She is like your chin and the lids appear very small and she is not sure if the little one actually has a functioning eye there at all. She appears to be completely blind in both eyes but she is not bothered by it. My friend is waiting until the kit has grown up and then she will be seeing my vet who is good with opthalmology. In the meantime my friend has to occasionally clean the eye.
The thoughts for the moment are to possibly remove the eye if it is non-functional and is causing any problems but so far the kit seems to have adapted well. She has never had a fit or anything else to indicate any other problems and she seems perfectly happy and lively.

I was also going to suggest micropthalmia. It popped up quite a bit in the Stone White mutation from what I've read. I believe sometimes the kits born would also have no eyes at all (anopthalmia).

I recall someone on the old CnQ adopted or rescued an adult chin who also had tiny eyes. When I saw the picture of the chin, it immediately reminded me of micropthalmia pictures from my textbooks.

Do you happen to have pictures of the little guy? Keep us updated!

I'm about ready to head to school for the night, but I can try to get some tomorrow...

When I got the one open I was just like... that is a TINY eye! That's all I could think.. it was unreal tiny to me, like it was on the wrong critter!

Microphthalmia and the Stone white immediately popped in my head also - but then again this girl is older for a first time mom. There may be a reason she's had trouble conceiving.

I am not aware of any similar trouble in the lines, so if there is an issue it would probably be something exclusive to her.

So far tonight he is doing good. I still do not think there is any eyes in the sockets. Tonight they were not watery or icky looking, and he's been doing good under mom.

Unfortunately little no eyes did not make it.

As far as anything to see, there was really nothing, he looked like a normal kit with it's eyes closed. What tiny bit you could get open you could see nothing, it looked just like tissue.

I am so sorry to hear that Riven, I know how much it hurts to lose a kit. When I had the 33 rescues, one of them in particular had teeny tiny eyes and she did make it. She found a great adoptive family and is almost a year old now.

I had a kit born about 2 years ago with no eyes. Out of triplets and he was about half the size of the other kits. I'm sure he was from the other estrus horn, but when I opened his lids there were absolutely no eyes and I was astonished. He didn't make it but maybe 2 days of hand feeding.

I knew of a perfect home for him too, which is saddening. It's never fun to lose a kit, especially one that is special and you really hope will pull through.

Old thread, but this was the first that came to my mind today when I went to check on my new kits. I had two standard v/c males born this morning and one either has no eyes at all, or has the tiniest eyelids that I can't get to them to try to open them. I tried one and had no luck, so I'm gonna give him a day or two before I continue bothering him. Every time I'd touch his face, he'd squeal at me. He's very vocal, and very active at the moment, but I'm not sure if he'll make it.

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

Initital weight was 45g, brother 50g. Weighed him earlier and he had dropped down to 43g so I will be supplementing him. My average birth weight is 58g, so a lot lower than my average but I do not think he's premature or from the other estrus horn.

Last edited:
Tiff I had a girl born with tiny tiny eyes. She lived and is still living at my mom's house. She does get chronic eye infections but other than that is fine

I actually had one born here about 5 years ago out of triplets. He didn't make it over 24 hrs, but I couldn't get him to eat either. This little guy was begging for me at the cage door when I came in the chin barn tonight, so my hope isn't gone just yet. I just feel so sorry for the poor little one.

Latest posts

Back