Transporting chins across international borders and how?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keninphilly

Hello all. This is a topic that I started on CNQ and was answered way back when I first started my long journey for Canadian immigration. However, all those threads are lost and in the spirit of building up a topic "database", I am going to revisit the issue.

I am probably going to be moving permanently to Canada in about 4 months or so. I am, of course, taking my chins with me. I want to know if I will have any issues crossing the border with them.

I am also wondering if I should drive them there or ship them (which I am reluctant to do). If I drive them there I would like to know what carriers would you recommend? The whole drive is probably 8 hours or so. I understand that I can't shut off the car, keeping the air on, and getting the baby shades for the windows, etc... I want to minimize stress on the chins (the last thing I want is to arrive there and have all four chins with diarrhea)!

Any and all personal experiences and advice is welcome!!

From what I understand, taking animals in, is much easier than taking them out ( of Canada)

I'd be sure to get health certificates...

I would drive them, you're driving right? Chances are you won't be able to drop them off, and pick them up if you ship them, lol.

I've taken degus across the Canadian border (Ontario/Michigan at the Blue Water Bridge) and other than some odd questions, I didnt really have a problem. I did have with me a print out from USDA stating it was legal to cross the border with certain pets (including gerbils & hamsters, and other such small pets). They didnt even read the papers, just glanced at it, kinda stared at the degus - they did actually do a quick search of my car, but the whole thing didnt take that long.

Good luck!
~Barb~

I def want to drive. What carriers should I get. I have a plastic carrier (similar to the ones for cats) set aside for emergencies, but obviously I am not going to use that as they could start chewing the plastic. I have four chins, one pair of two, and two single chins. I could get three metal ones??

I would def. get the three metal ones or if you can find ones that can be stabilized better.. wouldn't want them rolling around! eek.

Also, I have heard that it isn't really an issue to take them across while driving, it is when you fly that is becomes somewhat of a problem

I myself, and some friends too, bought chins from the states back in September at the NY show. We had their pedigrees and the sales reciept from the breeder. It went perfectly well. I would however suggest a vet certificate just in case. You don't want to be stuck at the border.

I've transported 6 chins in 5 plastic kitty carriers almost 1000 miles - but I put hardware cloth over the plastic "vent" areas of the carriers, to prevent chewing. They all made it home safely. But metal carriers would be much easier than arguing with the mesh (my poor fingers were pretty tore up after dealing with that stuff)
~Barb~

i will be moving back to canada in june and i looked up the rules/regulations of the food inspection agency in canada and chinchillas are allowed in canada as pets

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/rodente.shtml

just to be safe i will be printing out that page...and i will also have a vet health certificate...i read on a site that a health certificate is not necessary for pet chinchillas going into canada...but it is always better to be more prepared in my opinion...

i will be flying since i am traveling from the caribbean...but i would suggest driving if it is an option because another problem with flying is that you have to find an airline that will be able to ship your chinny....most do not let them come in-cabin with you...shipping also costs about 150 dollars....depending on the airline....usually detla, continental, AA will let you ship chinchillas as cargo...which im my opinion is the best option because if the airline allows pets as cargo it means they are pressure/temperature controlled....hope this helps...i have done a lot of research on this because like i said i will also be going to canada in a few months...

Last edited:
i forgot to add that i also bought the ryerson carriers to transport my chinny in....they already have the "live animal" stickers as well as the arrows pointing in the direction that the cage in meant to be held...they also are metal and have proper ventilation...along with a door kept closed by a latch to ensure the little buggers dont get out lol...i also bought a edstrom bottle to attach to the door as they are leak-proof so water doesnt get everywhere...which if you are planning on flying you must be careful to follow the airlines' exact rules for carriers...dimensions...etc...

I bought a JP chinchilla carrier and it's been the best investment I've made so far. With shipping it was only $33 (a 2 hole) and the carrier is airline compliant.

Thanks, I will check into those carriers.

New Zealand does not allow chinchillas??? I guess I won't be going to that country!

I have 2 Ryerson's metal carriers and I love them. They save on space, and there's no problems with chewing. You could just get one carrier with 4 holes.

I've driven my chins 5 hours and they were fine. Just slept the whole way. Bring some water, and offer it at a break in the drive, but mine didn't want it during the 5 hour drive. I just put bedding in there, some use fleece but I just used the pine shavings. Then I put a handful of hay in each hole and a wood twig for them to keep occupied if they wanted.

Latest posts

Back