Chinnie Pot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinzilla

So I was determined to find a unique terracotta pot that would be chinnie safe/worthy. I found this awesome pot/jug at Home Depot. It's completely flat on one side of the jug at sort of an angle . That flat side can be easily mounted to the side of the cage using the drain hole if you just stick a bolt through it and use some washers and a wing nut. You could also just sit the flat side down on a flat surface in the cage and it would make a great hidey house.

Chinzi has taken to sleeping in it, though, she's a little cranky since I woke her up on accident when taking these pictures. She also perches on it sometimes and uses it as a leaping ledge to get to a higher ledge. Overall, it seems very safe and has been chinnie tested and approved!

P1030079.jpg

P1030074.jpg

That's very cool. And looks like she likes it! I think maybe my girls need something like that..

I think the pot is great as well, and your chin seems to like it, but I agree with Hedgemom, make sure that it is safe, especially if she decides to explore it with her teeth. It's too bad products can't be made more reliably safe for us and our animal friends.

its a pretty pot. i bet it stays cool lol or at least i think terrecotta does

It's cute but where was it made? Terra cotta made in Mexico and China are known to have high lead levels.

I don't know. But it definitely didn't have a "made in china" or "hecho en mexico" sticker on it. From a previous thread, I read that pots from a place like Home Depot are generally safe and I've seen pictures of terracotta in many chin cages. This will be the last time I post a picture or make a suggestion.

Cute pot!

I asked this question in another thread as well, but it might have gotten passed over .... if there ISNT a sticker that says Made in Mexico/China, then HOW do you know if it's safe or not? I've gone looking for terra cotta pots and most of the ones I see have no sticker whatsoever (other than a price sticker) on them....

I don't know. But it definitely didn't have a "made in china" or "hecho en mexico" sticker on it. From a previous thread, I read that pots from a place like Home Depot are generally safe and I've seen pictures of terracotta in many chin cages. This will be the last time I post a picture or make a suggestion.
Because someone made you aware that the terracotta pot your precious pet is in could be unsafe? She didn't say it was, just that you should check. That seems really silly. I would be thanking her, not pitching a fit...*shakes head* It's adorable, and so is your chin but if it is potentially unsafe then it's a good thing to let others know.

please keep posting i really like it

Home Depot also sells lead testing kits. I'd invest and one and make sure the pot is safe.

I have some similar pots that are glazed. I tested them for lead before I bought them.

Because someone made you aware that the terracotta pot your precious pet is in could be unsafe? She didn't say it was, just that you should check. That seems really silly. I would be thanking her, not pitching a fit...*shakes head* It's adorable, and so is your chin but if it is potentially unsafe then it's a good thing to let others know.
I know it seems silly, but please don't accuse me of "pitching a fit" because I really am not. I'm just stating a fact. I didn't say I would stop posting....I'm just not going to put up a picture or suggestion. It's just a personal choice because I am really tired of how so many people respond to some things on this message board. Everybody has the right to respond however they want to and I'm not going to try to stop them, I'm just going to stop.

I had already read the thread on terracotta, don't have any reason to believe this one is unsafe, made a choice about it, and didn't want to rehash that thread and the comments there in this one...but I guess I should have known by now that even if something was already discussed, anytime you post a picture or make a suggestion you need to be open to all the questioning and/or criticism that follows.

Well, I don't want to open myself up to that. There is good information in a lot of these threads so I will keep reading and ask questions when I need to, but won't contribute otherwise. Please respect that and don't accuse me of being childish.

I dont accuse anyone of anything sometimes people suggest things and it doesnt come out as nice as it should. i hope this is the end of this and it doesnt get heated :)

I'm just not going to put up a picture or suggestion. It's just a personal choice because I am really tired of how so many people respond to some things on this message board. Everybody has the right to respond however they want to and I'm not going to try to stop them, I'm just going to stop.

Please stop making statements like this. This is not CnQ, and I have found absolutely nothing to suggest people are responding inappropriately on THIS forum. I saw someone making a comment about it being a cute picture, then stating to be careful of whether or not the pot was safe to be used. I myself would have appreciated the comment, so that I could be sure I was not going to hurt my beloved pet.

I don't want to see any more "not being nice in the sandbox" comments on this thread please. It has nothing to do with the original topic and has no place here.

I had already read the thread on terracotta, don't have any reason to believe this one is unsafe, made a choice about it, and didn't want to rehash that thread and the comments there in this one...
You may have read a thread on terracotta and known about the potential dangers of lead in terracotta and determined it was safe enough for you, but another member who isn't as knowledgeable as you may come along, think your pot is a fabulous idea, and go out and buy one not knowing the potential hazards. I apologize if I offended you.

How does a lead testing kit work? Is it an electronic thing?

I would also really like to know. Also, about how much are they?

That pot is adorable. I would love to get one. My chins house is getting pretty chewed up so it may be time for a new, cuter, cersion. :D

It's just a chemical reaction on some sort of testing paper/pad. Depending on the type of surface/material being tested, there are different steps involved, but everything is included in the kit. It's a very basic answer, either yes or no for the presence of lead. There's no indication of how strong the level is. I've seen prices for them range from $12-$40. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes or even Target I think sells a cheapy one too.

Latest posts

Back