The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haley, I have some stuff that you need! I used to have my room be decorated with zebra print accents at the end of HS/beginning of college. Unfortunately, the best pieces that I kept are in my parents storage room in another state at the moment, but if I go there in a couple of months, I'll have to mail them to you! I have a zebra print memo board (one of those fabric covered ones with the ribbon) and a decorative pillow.

Anywho, as far as the cage goes, my chins LOVE the lava landings (small ledges). The best price I have found at the bottom of this page: http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SuperPetChinchillaChews

That site also has 10lb bags of Oxbow if you decide to feed that as well as Oxbow hay. In addition to the lava landings that my girls like, they also have lava ledges, lava dots, and lava bites and I know a lot of people on here use those products.

Other thing you could make with your felt would be a hay bag and maybe a little felt buddy. Looks like you still need good food dish too. Additionally, I'd say get a hanging toy or two (or order parts from someone on here or a good bird toy part supplier and make them yourself). I'd invest in a good wheel eventually too, but that's not essential to start, especially if you give your chinnie lots of play time.

I'm excited for you!

Aw thanks this was really useful! I am getting some fleece cuddle buddies soon, I have a hay bin but I do need to get a dish. I'm going to order some toys and Mazuri food from Camphor chins, and thanks a lot for the link I'll be sure to check out the hay!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has zebra print stuff! If you run into your old stuff send me some pics :]

btw...I meant fleece...don't know why I said felt like TWICE. For the record, I use and meant FLEECE :duh:

I just got my FN last weekend, so we are still pretty bare as far as that goes, but its a work in progress. I'll have more ledges as soon as I get more washers... I went into ditz mode as soon as I walked into lowes hehe

anyways, here's what I have so far. Any suggestions would be great!

The top section:
picture.php

The bottom section:
picture.php

You could add some hammocks or hangy houses to the top of the bottom, or top level. But I think it looks great! Good job :)

l_71a817cb22ac44ef90082ccd91888204.jpg

A little more added, a food bowl, the hidey house I made, the ledge, and the pot for hay.

The little colorful bunch by the hide are chews in a pile. I took out the white hay bin I had as it could be dangerous, and his water bottle in on the door.

:] yayyy fridayy there'll be a chin in it!

Woo Hoo....just bought a Ferret Nation 142 off of Craigslist for $75...picking it up tomorrow!!!! Yay me!!!! I'll definitely post pics once I get it all dolled up!

$75? Jealous..

Ummm yeah!! He was asking $150!! I told him I'd give him $75 for it if no one else was interested....he said "come get it...I'm moving and need it gone". Guess I got lucky...finally!!!

I just bought my FN 142 for 200$ including shipping! I am so excited to get it

Finally got my FN!! Here is a cell phone pic for now I have to upload from my digital cam later!! Star is on top and Shiloh is on bottom! :D

ny8ww8.jpg

I want an FN so bad. Is there a way to add a wire bottom though, my guys will roll on and play with their poop and pee if they can reach it. Plus my one boy has an oral fixation, he has to put everything that he comes in contact with into his mouth. They try reaching into the litter pan to get to the soiled litter, luckily they can't reach. If I get an FN it'll have to have a wire bottom over the pan so they can't get to their waste. Any ideas cause I REALLY REALLY want one.

I suppose you could put a pan in, and a wire grid on top (just make sure the wired holes are 1/2" by 1/2" so no feet can get caught).

Though with your situation, how about fleece liners? Do your chins chew fleece? It soaks up the pee, and then you just shake off the poop/hay.

I suppose you could put a pan in, and a wire grid on top (just make sure the wired holes are 1/2" by 1/2" so no feet can get caught). Though with your situation, how about fleece liners? Do your chins chew fleece? It soaks up the pee, and then you just shake off the poop/hay.

What I worry about with the fleece liners is the poop sitting there because my one boy has to put everything in his mouth and will eat his own poop if he can get to it. I would use the smallest wiring possible. I don't understand why he has to put everything in his mouth. He doesn't eat the plastic from the food dish or litter pan, I monitor that closely but anything else he has to eat. He's always trying to eat my rings, my fingers, my nails, my clothes, my hair, my eyelashes, and he mouths my nose and lips all the time. I have to keep my nails short because he'll take chunks out of them while I'm holding him. His teeth are fine and there's no slobbering or any other signs of problems and he has plenty of chew toys, he just likes to put things in his mouth and poop is a favorite.

I think I found an FN for $70 obo, I'm so excited and it's within driving distance. My cage right now is nice but the wire sees flimsy and I'm afraid to attach heavy shelves to it. I currently have a five level cage but I'm limited in what I can attach to it plus it has two tiny doors that I can hardly fit anything through. I have to twist and turn the litter pan to get it through the cage doors. I'm so excited. I just emailed the seller and I'm waiting to hear back, I offered $50 because it has a crack in the pan and the wheels are damaged but I can fix or replace them. Wish me luck, it's the only way this poor girl is getting an FN anytime soon.

Back