The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I worry about with the fleece liners is the poop sitting there because my one boy has to put everything in his mouth and will eat his own poop if he can get to it. I would use the smallest wiring possible. I don't understand why he has to put everything in his mouth. He doesn't eat the plastic from the food dish or litter pan, I monitor that closely but anything else he has to eat. He's always trying to eat my rings, my fingers, my nails, my clothes, my hair, my eyelashes, and he mouths my nose and lips all the time. I have to keep my nails short because he'll take chunks out of them while I'm holding him. His teeth are fine and there's no slobbering or any other signs of problems and he has plenty of chew toys, he just likes to put things in his mouth and poop is a favorite.

I think I found an FN for $70 obo, I'm so excited and it's within driving distance. My cage right now is nice but the wire sees flimsy and I'm afraid to attach heavy shelves to it. I currently have a five level cage but I'm limited in what I can attach to it plus it has two tiny doors that I can hardly fit anything through. I have to twist and turn the litter pan to get it through the cage doors. I'm so excited. I just emailed the seller and I'm waiting to hear back, I offered $50 because it has a crack in the pan and the wheels are damaged but I can fix or replace them. Wish me luck, it's the only way this poor girl is getting an FN anytime soon.

This sounds like normal chin behavior to me... They like to "taste" everything and that's why it's REALLY important to make sure everything is safe to chew in their cages. Make sure he doesn't chew fleece also. And also, all chins eat their poo...it's gross, but it's natural.

Here is a few better pics of my FN :D The full pic, then Star's Section and Shiloh's Section!

Attachments

• 100_0829.jpg
    100_0829.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 596
  • 100_0832.jpg
    100_0832.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 100_0833.jpg
    100_0833.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 433
This sounds like normal chin behavior to me... They like to "taste" everything and that's why it's REALLY important to make sure everything is safe to chew in their cages. Make sure he doesn't chew fleece also. And also, all chins eat their poo...it's gross, but it's natural.

The only thing in their cage that they can't chew on is the food dish, it's crock dish that attaches to the side of the cage, and the litter pan (it has a grid with very small spacing to keep them from sitting in the litter, it's a scatter proof pan) and I check them daily to make sure they aren't chewing and they never have chewed them, they just leave them alone for some reason, but I'm very careful. They do have a fleece hammock but they don't chew that either, my one boy won't even go near it. I'm very vigilant with them because I know how boys can get in trouble. So I provide tons of safe things to chew and lots of things to keep them entertained.

The only thing in their cage that they can't chew on is the food dish, it's crock dish that attaches to the side of the cage, and the litter pan (it has a grid with very small spacing to keep them from sitting in the litter, it's a scatter proof pan) and I check them daily to make sure they aren't chewing and they never have chewed them, they just leave them alone for some reason, but I'm very careful. They do have a fleece hammock but they don't chew that either, my one boy won't even go near it. I'm very vigilant with them because I know how boys can get in trouble. So I provide tons of safe things to chew and lots of things to keep them entertained.

I wasn't saying that your stuff is unsafe...just that that is why it's important to make sure everything is safe. Point was that it's normal for a chin to want to taste everything: nails, fingers, toys, etc.

Kaykay - Everytime you post on here I jump in hoping for new pics of your awesome cage... Your cage in my ideal. I think I'm going with pirates more then race cars but still. Ok. I'll try to stop stalking your cage now....

I wasn't saying that your stuff is unsafe...just that that is why it's important to make sure everything is safe. Point was that it's normal for a chin to want to taste everything: nails, fingers, toys, etc.

I didn't think you were, I'm just use to covering my butt and I'm very talkative when I'm hocked up on caffeine. And as the person above me said your cage setup is awesome, I love it. I might have to hire someone to do mine, too many options I might go crazy if I try.

Kaykay - Everytime you post on here I jump in hoping for new pics of your awesome cage... Your cage in my ideal. I think I'm going with pirates more then race cars but still. Ok. I'll try to stop stalking your cage now....

hahahaha i completely agree!!! you're my hero lol!!! :)

hahahaha i completely agree!!! you're my hero lol!!!

LOL, well thank you. I don't really have anything new as of yet but hopefully in a couple of weeks I will post up some new pics of it. :thumbsup:

I didn't think you were, I'm just use to covering my butt and I'm very talkative when I'm hocked up on caffeine. And as the person above me said your cage setup is awesome, I love it. I might have to hire someone to do mine, too many options I might go crazy if I try.

NP, just wanted to let you know I wasn't attacking you.

so I got my 1st FN today and I really don't have enough stuff to fill it! lol...it's a double unit for my one chin...can you guys give me ideas on where and what I should get for it?? right now I only have a few hammocks, wood shelves, and a chin spin and a few other little things...I want to completely spoil here...I appreciate your guys advise...thank you in advance!

Looks like I'm not getting my Ferret Nation. I made all the plans, I drew up designs for shelving and houses for the cage, ordered material and then the B**** sold the cage out from under me. Told me she was holding it for me and to call her today to make plans to pick it up and I call and she says she sold it I said "you said you were holding it for me" she replies, "I guess I wasn't". So I don't get to join the FN Club, because I don't have $200+ to get one. I'm so mad, this is why I hate people and love my chinchillas, chinchillas don't screw you over.

that sucks...so sorry! If it helps I got mine from kennelvet.com for a little under $200...the cheapest I could find...good luck! hope you can join us soon!

I put my Nation together tonight! It was... well I will say interesting trying to put it together alone... their may have been a few not so nice words said and maybe even a couple of tears but it is up! Maddie is in a temporary cage after her cage was destroyed by a fire (no worries, Maddie made it out safe and sound, along with all the humans) and Mitzie is also in a temporary cage (I got her afterwards and she and Maddie are getting to know each other) So hopfully I will have all of my goodies soon for the cage and the girls can move in together :dance3:

Just got my 142 for $50, she lived an hour away but just happened to come near me, so she dropped it off at my house for only $50!!! i just need to make it chinnie fun

Just wanted to pop in really quick and say that I might be getting a ferret nation soon, when money permits. Keep the posts coming, I LOVE seeing the pictures and reading the stories :)

The more I look through these pages, the sadder I get :cry3::cry3::cry3:

I can't afford this. I could honestly afford the cage, but not the shipping, fleece liners, shelves, toys, and wheel. Why oh why is everything so expensive? :(

As long as your chinnies are in a safe cage that is large enough for them, you provide them with quality pellets, hay, water, and chew things, that's all that matters. Don't be sad that other people have them! I just got the FN141 for $25 on Craigslist, so I'm hoping to come across an add-on sometime for cheap also.

SOME (not all) Petsmart stores will price-match an online ad also if you print the ad and take it with you. (Call before you go, and if they ok it, write down the name of the person that you spoke w/ for reference.) On kennelvet.com they're only $157 right now. http://www.kennelvet.com/ferret-nation-habitat-625h-p-1753.html

It's always worth a shot.

As long as your chinnies are in a safe cage that is large enough for them, you provide them with quality pellets, hay, water, and chew things, that's all that matters. Don't be sad that other people have them! I just got the FN141 for $25 on Craigslist, so I'm hoping to come across an add-on sometime for cheap also.

SOME (not all) Petsmart stores will price-match an online ad also if you print the ad and take it with you. (Call before you go, and if they ok it, write down the name of the person that you spoke w/ for reference.) On kennelvet.com they're only $157 right now. http://www.kennelvet.com/ferret-nation-habitat-625h-p-1753.html

It's always worth a shot.

I need to get another cage before I move, my current cage weighs about twice what I weigh :p I can't transport it easily. Chinchilla cages are a hot item around here on Craigs list, they are VERY hard to find. I'm so jealous!

REALLY? I didn't even think of that! I'll have to call and ask, thanks for giving me the idea! Kennelvet.com was the place I was eyeing, the shipping cost is just insane. I e-mailed Petsmart yesterday to ask if the cage was going on sale anytime soon and they said they have no way of knowing, but it's possible it will go on sale within the next 2 months. I want to get it soon so I won't be stressing to get the thing together when I'm about to move.

Thanks again, I'll call right now!

I just called and they said YES! *happy dance* Looks like I'll be going tonight or tomorrow. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

Figured I would share more pics of my cages.

Attachments

• clean cages 010.jpg
    clean cages 010.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 494
  • Gabby 006.jpg
    Gabby 006.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Nickel 065.jpg
    Nickel 065.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 533
  • clean cages.jpg
    clean cages.jpg