King Prolapsed--anyone have a survivor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome to hear Annie! Hopefully making everything more "mushy" and adding moisture will help King! C'mon buddy!!!!

He is producing more mucus..it looks to have food particles in it (before it was clear), but nothing substantial He is sooo full with food I am afraid to give any more. I just saw him eat a few pellets and he is still in great spirits. Takes his meds well gobbles up the critical care and puts up with the IV drip for 5-7 minutes before putting up a fuss. Exercise time he bounces around the bathroom.

He hasn't given up so I will not. Marshall is hurrying to finish a new cage for me with a wheel in it so I can put him in there for a bit and get things moving if he hopefully uses the wheel.

I really hope he recovers from this! You are working so hard! Hoping for the best.

It's awesome to hear that he's still in good spirits. I honestly think that you can up his motility drugs at this point. How much is he getting and what frequency? Does his stomach feel bloated? Is he on gas meds? I think you might need to start getting more aggressive with his treatment...

I'm always gratified and amazed at the skill of you guys on this forum. I would have real trouble giving subcutaneous fluids (I'd be afraid to stab my chin too deeply, not enough, that I'd do something wrong, etc..) These chins get first-rate medical care.

I'll add my sincere wishes to all those already given that King starts pooping.

Come on boy, you can do it!

Common-- It's actually not that difficult to give injections or sub-q fluids. It takes a little practice, which I know sounds terrible on a little animal. I was taught by my vet, and it really didn't take much time at all to learn how. I actually preferred giving injectable meds over oral meds. If you ask your vet, I'm sure s/he would show you how to do it correctly!

Again King--- pooooooooooooooooooop!

Common-- It's actually not that difficult to give injections or sub-q fluids. It takes a little practice, which I know sounds terrible on a little animal. I was taught by my vet, and it really didn't take much time at all to learn how. I actually preferred giving injectable meds over oral meds. If you ask your vet, I'm sure s/he would show you how to do it correctly!

Yep, I have had to give injectable medication and fluids numerous times- once you do it a few times, you get pretty comfortable with it and it's pretty easy. The hardest part is keeping them still, not the actual injection itself. ;) My vet taught me how to do it and walked me through it several times.

The wheel should be good for him. It really seemed to help Smudge get his GI system going.

I hope we here good poop news about King today..!

Last edited:
His mucus has gotten even more of a digested food consistency...very brown lots of particles. It has been up graded to very bad diarrhea...which is ok as things are moving.

He weighed 520 at prolapse time last thursday..he is normally 560ish (he is small but phenominal quality so he is will my 800 and 900 gram girlies) Last nights weight was 640 so he was extremely bloated and distended, Good news is about an hour ago I weighed him and he was 608 so things are finally coming out. We have increased both motility drugs to twice a day as of today, Friday we started the second one at twice a day but the original one was once a day..now twice

Here is my daily routine (on a work day)

2or3 am
I feed him critical care,
get at least 6-10 ccs fluid in
give a bit of pineapple juice
massage belly, put ointment on his poor red botttom
feed the kit I am hand feeding
suppliment the new triplets
prepare food for next feeding as it is my pre-work feeding
go back to bed

6am

Get up , get ready for work
feed King
administer med which include:
simethicone (1ml)
6-10 cc fluid sub q
.1 ml liquid probiotic (horse)
.23 ml baytril injected
.05 ml metaclopramide injected
.1 ml cisapride orally

massage belly, put ointment on his bottom
then I feed the kit, suppliment the triplets
Go to work

Lunch

come home feed kits
Feed king, massage, ointment
give 6-10 cc fluid

After work
Feeding, massage, ointment
sub q
go take care of horses

6pm
round of meds. I do not give sub q at this time I wait an hour as I feel the poor guy is poked enough
he gets
simethicone (1ml)
.1 ml liquid probiotic (horse)
.23 ml baytril injected
.05 ml metaclopramide injected
.1 ml cisapride orally
.02 metcam injected
1. ml laxatone orally

I massage his belly. ointment

between 7-9
playtime in the bathroom
massage, ointment and subq fluids

10 pm
feeding king
feed kits
I prepare morning meds as I am starting to drag in the am and have to get to work
go to bed...start again at 2 or 3

He ate some pellets last night. He has also nibbled hay, his spirit is up. Here he is last night. Very happy getting loving from his family. I have been keeping him with his family since this weekend as He just seems brighter with them and I need to keep his spirits up...he is the one that looks like a mess LOL
I am not sure how much more aggressive we can get... But stuff is finally coming out. Xrays show that I am keeping the gas down. He has a little gas but no where near what they figure he would. He is driving everyone crazy a happy crazy but it is a wonder he is doing as good as he is. He isn't acting like a sick chinchilla
picture.php

Awesome update Kristy!! Looks and sounds like you're doing everything right! Believe me, I know how exhausting it is to do feedings and medication around the clock. When Starlight had her amputation, we were doing around the clock feedings/medication for about six weeks. The biggest highlight of that whole time was around week 3 when I woke up and she was standing at the bars of her cage with her little hands up, waiting for me to come get her. I got the warmest, fuzziest feeling!

It's great to hear that things are still moving and the gas is staying down. It sounds like everything is going alright. I only have one question: is he getting metacam once a day or twice a day? If it's once, I would consider splitting the dosage and giving it to him twice a day. It may still be painful for him to poo.

Please keep updating!!

Haha Kristy, that picture is priceless. It looks like he's trying to hide so you can't find him and harass him more. Hope things continue to progress! Come on King!

That is a crazy schedule, you rock! Glad to hear he is making some progress :)).

I can split the metcam easily. I thickened up the critical care for tomorrow. I am off to bed for a bit of sleep. He sure is a fighter. right now he looks like a pregnant female. We just had a 40 minute run in the bathroom. He barks whenever he sees me now and has been running from me in the cage but hey at least he has the energy to hate me LOL. We can become friends again when this is done. I catch up on sleep on the weekends with naps.

Marshall is finishing the cage with the wheel now. He worked until like 12:30 last night on the cage. He is cranking through it for King..hoping some time with a wheel will help.

Back