King Prolapsed--anyone have a survivor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well he is on the motility drugs, 1 injection a day. He is not straining and looks comfortable. Bright eyed still and a pain in the butt to catch in his cage now as he has been running from me ( I am actually oddly happy about this) He is being a complete stinker. Still no poops but with his happy attitude I am holding on as calm as can be.

Until now I though the worst wait was one for pregnant females...the wait for poops is soooooooo much worse

Oh we of the chinchilla poop obsessed. He'd better continue to poo and make me happy with a prolapse success story!

I'm glad he's getting all crazy again and thinking he can escape the evil medicine woman, but we all know it's futile. He must be medicated! Get better King!

He is doing well...still no poop but I did give him time with his colony for a bit last night and he was stealing hay from his babies and nibbling a bit..not enough but a little bit. So perhaps as he is feeling better he will nibble more and poops will come.

No poop yet, even more motility drugs and a an enema. His intestines look full in the xray of food..not gas but no poops yet. There is more concern now (like I was not concerend enough) but he is eating a little on his own like nibbling on Hay cubes He is acting better and better.

The Dr Z said that his behavior is that of a normal healthy chinchilla (I agree) But his symptoms now have him on the critical list....I am going crazy

Kristy, I was hoping for better news when I came on. :( I'm sorry, I hope he does recover for you.

Come on King!!! It's time to POOP. Our fingers are crossed for you.

No poop yet, even more motility drugs and a an enema. His intestines look full in the xray of food..not gas but no poops yet. There is more concern now (like I was not concerend enough) but he is eating a little on his own like nibbling on Hay cubes He is acting better and better.

The Dr Z said that his behavior is that of a normal healthy chinchilla (I agree) But his symptoms now have him on the critical list....I am going crazy

The enema didn't help? Dang... I know it almost always works in humans.

*hugs* Tia and myself are sending good vibrations.

I'm slowly coming back to the forum, but I've had two experiences with prolapse. One was Wilbur, and he, unfortunately, did not make it. He was only about 12 weeks old as well. I got up and was giving out hay before I left for class one morning, and he didn't come out of his house. He was in with Twilight and Fluffernut then, and there were bloody spots on the ledges and bedding. By the time I found him, the prolapse was too bad. We made it to the vet, and they applied three sutures, but he died a few hours later.

The second prolapse was a survival story. That was Rocco, one of the first rescues I ever took in. The family that he was with had run out of food and he had only had little scraps of hay cubes, cheerios, and catch this- dog food. They just kind of assumed that he was like a wild rodent and could survive on anything. So when I got him, I introduced pellets and fresh hay right away. We don't know what started the prolapse, but I woke up and there was a trail of bloody diarrhea leading into his house, and he had about an inch of intestines hanging out. Rushed to the vet, and she used a stitch to hold them in place. He was on injectable baytril, metacam, and critical care every 3-4 hours. About six hours later, the stitch broke and they came back out. I used a little vaseline and managed to get them back in, then were back at the vet's at 8am. She gave me a cream (I can't remember now what it was) to apply to the area and to use to remoisturize in case them came back out again.

Luckily they stayed in, but, like King, Rocco did not poop in the first 24 hours. Did some xrays and there was a little gas, but his gut was moving. So we started simethicone and continued with the antibiotics and pain meds. Twelve hours later, still no poop, but he hadn't been drinking enough, so we started forcing fluids and did some IV fluids. 24 hours after that, still no poop. His gut was still moving and there was no gas, it just wasn't coming out. We did more xrays to make sure that his intestines had not gotten tangled, and everything appeared fine. At this point we were at about 3 1/2 days of no poo. We started motility drugs, and still no poo. He still appeared dehydrated, so we changed the bedding in his cage to white fleece so that I could make sure that he was urinating. I started to make the critical care more watered down and fed more often. About 5 days AFTER all of this started, we finally had our first poo!! I was never so excited to see poo in all my life. What my vet finally figured out was, after the prolapse, the intestines were not staying properly hydrated because he was not taking in enough fluid. Once we really got him hydrated, everything started to move. I continued the critical care around the clock for another week, then slowly started to make the mixture thicker and allow him to eat it off of a spoon. About two weeks after his first poo, I reintroduced a little bit of pellets into his diet, and slowly switched him back. He was back eating pellets and hay again about two months after all of it started.

It was a long, hard, fighting road, but Rocco made it! Make sure that you're keeping King really hydrated, his belly full, and his gut gas-less. What I did for some cases of severe GI stasis was to hold a heating pad on its lowest setting on the gut area of the chin. It might aid in moving things, but REALLY be sure that you aren't keeping it on for too long. I hope that this experience might help you...keep doing everything you already are, and we have some paws crossed for poo soon!!

Thank you soo much Annie I needed to hear that. After this weekend is over they may want to have the quality of life talk. We have changed treatment protocal as of friday and added subQ fluids here as well as another motility drug. He is back in with his cage mates as it keeps his spirits up, alone he look depressed and we need to keep his spirits up. I just got done with a round of fluids (done because he bit through the tubing and I need to go get another) we are doing 15-20 cc fluid 2-3 times a day. He said I can up it to 10 cc every few hours.

Back