King Prolapsed--anyone have a survivor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starleomach

Dawnna's Keeper
I was going to wait until the Saga is over but I thought I should share

Thursday Morning:
I wake up to King hunched up looking just wrong..He had Diahhreah. I mean pure liquid goop. I Pulled him from the colony and isolated him taking away food, giving just hay I gave him some critical care and charcoal and went to work
I came home on my lunch break he looked more comfortable but still ozzing, I gave him more charcoal and went back to work (meanwhile called the vets as it was pure goopy mucus)
I came home from work it was blood tinged but we were on the way to the vets anyhow.
Got through the vet visit prescribed baytril (injectable of course) and Critical care. I headed home.
I got him home took him out of the carrier and saw about 1/2 inch of intestines hanging out. I washed my hands and pushed them back in, called the vets on the way back.

He also had to put them back in, I came home with cream, instructions to keep putting them back in if they came back out but they had stayed in for a bit, And check him every 2 hours minimum (I checked every 45 minutes throughout the night)

9 pm they came back out, this time close to 2 inches. I pushed them back in with the cream and waited, this time they stayed in. I checked throughout the night...not any sleep as I was worried but they stayed in. I gave critical care every 2-3 hours but checked much more frequently than that

Friday

Took him to work with me, so I could drop him by the vets when they open as the offered to watch him...nothing came out including poop. Vet said Saturday we will Xray if no poop...He pooped once.
I checked him every few hours throughout the night and gave 3-6 cc's critical care every time I checked

Saturday
Vet says lets see what happens if it stays the same (little to no poop) we will xray on Monday. He is still kinda oozing through all this. again with the CC every few hours. I thought at night he pooped twice but I am doubting myself and thinking somehow it tranfred from another cage.

Sunday
More of the same CC feedings and waiting for poop. He is not bloating up (knock on wood) and the vet did feel Fecal matter in his colan He feels solid but not just his stomach so the critical care is going somewhere. He is bright and active. I have been giving him time to move around to get things going. But still no poop. I have never prayed for poop so much in my life. He is very much acting like himself just no poop

Here is the little man making me crazy, has anyone else had a chinchilla survive a prolapse??? The Vet said they have seen it and sometimes it can take 2-3 days for the poop...I need to get conformation from chinchilla people.
picture.php

I can only wish you and King luck. I've only had one experience with a prolapse and it didn't turn out in our favor. If it's staying in, you may have hope, whereas I could not keep my chin's intestines in no matter what I did. Crossing my fingers for you two.

With a couple babies years ago I had survivors, but I have never had an adult survivor. It doesn't happen here very much, maybe 3 times in the last 12 years...it just never has turned out well. I'm hoping he'll be alright, but generally once the support structure of the intestinal tract is compromised and this happens it just never goes back to be the same. :(

Kristy...I hope he makes it through, but please don't feel bad if he doesn't. This is something that is very difficult to treat and impossible to prevent. It isn't genetic, it doesn't have anything to do with diet (not necessarily, an impaction or the chin not eating can be a cause), it can just happen out of nowhere for what seems like no reason. Or the chin has a slight injury and it happens. Ugggg...I am so so sorry!

I didn't know this could happen... Good luck, I am hoping for poop!

Good luck to you and King - he is very very handsome!

I convened with the porcelain Goddess tonight. She's assured me that you're little guys poo is imminent. *fingers crossed and big hugs to you both* I'll keep your little man in my prayers.

Oh my, hoping for the best. I've had experience with this twice. A hamster I just bought, who the next day was prolapsed and died within a very short time(hours). And a chameleon, whom I had spent over $500 on surgery to fix him, but unfortunately within a month he re-lapsed. So praying for your chinchilla for a recovery.

I'm sorry to hear that King is unwell. :(

has anyone else had a chinchilla survive a prolapse??? The Vet said they have seen it and sometimes it can take 2-3 days for the poop...I need to get conformation from chinchilla people.
Yes - I had a female chin who prolapsed. Not as much as your little chap but she did prolapse (no diarrhoea or anything so why she prolapsed was a mystery TBH). My vet popped in a stitch to prevent any further prolapse & I had to make sure she could pass droppings ok.
I can't remember if the suture came out after 3 or 5 days but it worked & she made a full recovery.

Good luck - I wish you & King all the best.

Quick update before I try to sleep.

He still hasn't pooped all day at the vets with a few sets of xrays showed a little gas moving down the GI tract..but it is moving. I am still massaging and hand feeding every 4 hours. He is bright eyed and active, He recived a few doses of motiltiy drugs. With the prolapse we are afraid to get to aggressive as we do not need another prolapse.

He still runs and plays in the bathroom and is fighting mad at every feeding. if no poop by tomorrow we are going to get a touch more aggressive. We are between a rock and a hard place. Don't want stasis and don't want prolapse. So again with the waiting but we have as the vet tsaid "a guarded diagnosis" heading toward good but still in a bad spot

KRISTY!! I am glad to hear that he hasn't prolapsed again. I want this to be a happy ending so much.

I definitely agree with not getting too aggressive with the gut motility drugs. But, you have to do what you have to do.

Claire - that is awesome that you had a chinnie make a full recovery after even a slight prolapse. :) I hope King does the same!!!

Come on, King...poop!!!

I wish you all the best with King.

I've had a hamster whose uterus prolapsed. Vet said that it's because she had some kind of uterine cancer. It was very messy, blood coming out of her vagina. The only way to temporarily solve the problem would have been a hysterectomy, but it was too late for my little girl and she had to be put down.

I know that with rectal prolapse in hamsters, they can be put back in. Maybe this is the case with King. As with no poop, does his stomach feel taut/hard?

A foster chin I took in a few years ago, he had a bladder infection, then he had bad diarrhea from the meds he was on with the bladder infection.

Then he prolapsed. I cleaned it up nicely, tucked it back in on my own, got him on some baytril and it was touch and go with his prolapse the first night (it did pop out a few times). He was quite fine afterwards and survived the ordeal (plus got over his bladder infection too!). I would say it was about two inches out of his behind, when I found him, but it hadn't been out too long, so thankfully no problems with it.

I have had it go the other way too, with a kit I weaned once, 9 years ago. I was not quick on the rectal prolapse(I was working when she had prolapsed.), got her to my vet but it was not fast enough, and she did get it infected and died. The second time around with the foster boy, I knew what I was doing and what to do(vet had shown me the first time around.), so didn't wait to get to the vet.

So I would say it could go either way, and with the foster boy, he did not poop right away either. I can't remember how long it took, but it did get back to working fine for him after that first night.

It definitely was scary though! I wish you and King good luck and hope he poops soon for you!

I had a little tiny baby ferret that prolapsed about 20 years ago. Someone told me to take a Q-tip and dab a little corn syrup on there. It totally worked. On PBS television yesterday they ran a show about skunks. They are illegal here but not in Oregon so I want to get a couple when I finally move. Well just now I was checking out the Skunk Haven web site and she had a sugar remedy and one I hadn't heard of before, so I will copy it for you. Good luck
Rectal Prolapse - Babies sometimes have rectal prolapse (intestines come out of rectum). You can use KY Jelly mixed with Preparation-H. Slowly push the prolapse back into the rectum. Another approach is to try coating the intestines with a paste made from sugar with a small amount of water. This will shrink the intestines and they will go back inside.
Oh, I just found an in depth page on the subject, I'll add that also
http://www.skunkhaven.net/Prolapse.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back