Zero Tolerance Policy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe i heard on the news last night that they "changed" the punishment.

That is what Carol and the article mentioned...

This particular child has received a reprieve. But there is a statement in the article that opens up another whole can of worms. Read the part that states kindergarteners and first graders will be exempt from the weapons and violence act. Is there no happy medium??? Does this mean if a first grader brings a small pocket knife to school and purposely cuts a kid that he's exempt?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33289924/ns/today-today_people/

Well here's the real issue as a former employee of the Boy Scouts of America and a Cubmaster and Den Leader, the problem is a 1st grade boy having a knife of any kind, whether it's in a eating tool or not. Cub Scouts are not allowed to carry or use a knife until they have earned their Whittlin' chip card which is no way going to happen with a 1st grader or Tiger Cub. This card is for a Wolf or Bear Cubscout.
So yes a reprimand should have been giving to the boy but also the parents of the boy--if you're going to get involved in a program please follow the laws and rules of the program. The BSA would never condone a boy so young carrying any kind of knife to school.

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I wanted to say:
Canada doesnt have a zero tolerance policy. I've brought all sorts of knives and things to school (in Canada), and my sibilings have as well. did we stab anyone? no. I used mine for sharpening my mediums in art class. I also drew a lot to the point of waking up in bed in a pile of pencil shavings.
America is now based on fear mongering. thats all its worth, if thats even worth anything. Arresting folks for future crimes.

I know this thread is 3 years old, but I wanted to say:
Canada doesnt have a zero tolerance policy. I've brought all sorts of knives and things to school (in Canada), and my sibilings have as well. did we stab anyone? no. I used mine for sharpening my mediums in art class. I also drew a lot to the point of waking up in bed in a pile of pencil shavings.
America is now based on fear mongering. thats all its worth, if thats even worth anything. Arresting folks for future crimes.

If you have a problem with my country, stay in your own, problem solved.

I'm not sure where in Canada you were in school or when, but that's a big brush to paint the entire country with. The school board where I live has a ZERO tolerance on any weapon including knives. I would double check the policy of the school board you are. I'm pretty sure most of the school boards in my area are the same.

Hey guys, sorry, I didn't want to step on toes. I'm just saying what I've seen and experienced here, wondering if you all felt or thought similar. I also know a lot of Americans who arent to happy with the direction their country is going in and are trying to leave. I'm in America for family business, and after its done we will be leaving.

Ok ticklechin, Can you please stop being aggressive towards me? thanks. Its nice to know that you care more for your country than helping a fellow man/woman understand something they have questions about. I never said I hated your country, there are many people I love here, and it has a lot of beautiful land and great weather. I am just concerned for the way it is heading. get it? I am concerned for you guys! So I'd appreciate it if you didnt jump down my throat!

My apologies to the moderators. I wasn't expecting the conversations to get like this. Can you close these threads?

Last edited:
ticklechin, your comments do seem a bit aggressive and unnecessary.

Zero tolerance policy aside-- LovingChi, I am concerned about the way things are heading here, too. Last week I actually started looking into the immigration process for Canada... unfortunately it looks harder than I first anticipated. I will be a medical lab scientist when I graduate next August (aka medical technologist) and am having a bit of trouble figuring out if I will be eligible to work in Canada.

Oh well, it would definitely be a few more years before my boyfriend and I decide to take that plunge, so we'll see how things progress here in the meantime.

Use the warn button if you don't like my comments, self policing is not allowed. This is a debate section, what do you expect to happen, you call the USA a scary place, felt it was so important you started another thread about it, so why would not not expect flack from those of us who love this country even with all its faults. If Canada is such a great place stay there, that is my point, you do not have to bother coming here.:wacko:

Last edited:
I have had pocketknives since I was 6, since it was my parents, not an organization that determined my maturity level. When I was in high school, I took a lot of ag classes, and I carried a pocket knife with me to school all the time. My ag teachers understood it was a tool, not a weapon. I did not pull it out intentionally in the main school building, but even if I did, I am confident that my principal would have told me not to bring it to school again, not expelled me. I was in high school when the "zero-tolerance" movement was starting and it is all about two things, and one more than the other: 1) subjectively judging who gets punished to what degree leads to too many calls of discrimination, and 2) blanket policies avoid questions. Kindergarteners getting charged with sexual assault for kissing a classmate on the cheek, etc- is ridiculous. My teachers were realistic. Was it within the rules for me to carry BC powders, a pocketknife, or a can of dip on me? No. But I played football (aspirin for soreness), worked in the ag department, and didn't dip in class, so they let me off because common sense trumped.
As far as rights being eroded... Canada bans handguns and you have to register long guns. How about those rights...

Back