Yet another lump

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalandra

When it rains, it pours. Sometimes that old idiom is just very true.

Cooper had not been running as much as usual (per his wheel's odometer). After a couple of days of not figuring out what the problem was I went on a serious examination to find a problem. I'm glad I did as I found a mass on his left front shoulder.

The mass was located in a bit of skin that tucks away so that you really cannot feel it if he raises his leg. Thankfully Cooper lets me do about anything I want to him, including pulling his leg straight to give him a good rub down.

Upon closer examination the mass was red and a veterinary appointment was made. By the time of our appointment (less than two days), the mass had started to "turn white." We had a fine needle aspirate done and instead of the pus of an abscess that I was hoping for we found abnormal cells.

We scheduled Cooper for surgery, but due to the blizzard that was due to hit, we had to delay it for a couple more days. Last Friday, Cooper had his mass removed.

I got the histopath results back yesterday. His mass was a trichoblastoma. Scary sounding word. But it is a benign cutaneous mass. Borders were clean so this should not come back.

I feel like I have dodged a bullet. This is the second benign mass Cooper has had removed in less than a year. The first was a papilloma removed from his jaw.

Cooper has a lot of bruising around the incision site, but is doing well otherwise. Image below is of his incision less than 24 hrs after surgery. That area is now very purple.

picture.php

Hi there Cooper. You gave your humans quite the scare! I hope the owies go away and you're back running on your wheel soon.

He's such a beautiful boy. Very glad it turned out to be benign.

Poor Cooper. Thank goodness it was a benign mass and I'm sure he will be back and wheeling in no time.

Hugs

I'm so glad it was benign! Heal up quickly Cooper! And keep your head up Jules, the worst is behind you (knock on wood)

Hearing the words benign coming from my doc's mouth was like winning the lottery. I heard him chuckle a little as I must have sounded really excited on the phone.

Cooper's bruising is much much better this morning. I tried a homeopathic remedy that was recommended to me as well as heat compresses, and it seems to have really helped. He was a lot more active last night too. I woke up and about cheered when I saw the mess I got to clean up this morning. He burrowed under his liners and had everything rearranged, plus there was poop everywhere. Something that hasn't happened since his surgery.

That's great to hear!!! Who said a mess of poo wasn't a great thing?! I'm so happy he's being much more active, and that the bruising is going down!! Go Cooper!!

I get the feeling he was saying, "Wheel. Now!"

How much longer do you estimate that he'll be wheel-less?

No idea. I think he may have another week with being without a wheel. But time will tell!

Poor Coop. Glad to hear everything turned out fine.

Hugs to you Julie for being able to hold it together.

Back