Yesterdays News? (pine pellet litter?)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaLoves

Dottie & Lolah's Mommy!
I was wondering if yesterdays news was safe to use as bedding? I have a fleece cage liner but my girls bottoms are getting stained from the pee not soaking threw and their fur getting in it when they pee so I want to switch to a bedding. I have used aspen bedding before and it gets EVERYWHERE! I think paper pellets (yesterdays news) would be a lot cleaner and neater than wood bedding and it would also help with the pee setting on the fleece liner staining my girls pretty little white bottoms.

So is it safe?

If not, what about kiln dried pine pellet cat litter? The non fragrance, all natural kind of course.

As for your fleece not absorbing, are you using fabric softener when you wash the fleece? if so that is probably what is causing your issue.

More than anything, I can't imagine the pelleted being comfortable for their little feeties.

i would just deal with the shavings going everywhere, since that would be the best solution for helping to avoid the pee stains. a lil cleanup on the floor/cage bottom is better than having to constantly clean chinny bottoms, eh?

you don't have to put bedding all over the whole cage bottom, just use a small litter pan. a lot of members on here use pyrex baking dishes. my Rhino has a low sided metal mixing bowl. it works great!

if your chins aren't litter trained, you will have to take the time to do that. search 'litter training' here on the forum and you should come up with at least a couple threads that detail the best methods.

Last edited:
Back