Would these pellets be any good?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuudoku.Niji

Just wondering if these pellets would be any good for chinchillas. I currently feed Mazuri though and I probably won't be changing any time soon.

You can feed them as a treat, but a main pellet it wont work.

100% Timothy Hay: Crude Protein 7% (min), Crude Fat 1.5% (min), Crude Fiber 35% (max), Moisture 10% (max) Calcium 0.35% (typical), Phosphorus 0.17% (typical).

The protein content is WAY too low, chins need 15-17% protein, and the CA:p is low. I fed a hay only diet which is essentially what these pellets are and it does not work, the chins health will suffer, I can tell you from experience.

I agree, it definitely is not nutritionally complete and your chin will be malnourished if you feed only these pellets.

Alright, I don't plan on changing his food but I was wondering because I plan on ordering timothy hay from this site.

You can feed them as a treat, but a main pellet it wont work.

100% Timothy Hay: Crude Protein 7% (min), Crude Fat 1.5% (min), Crude Fiber 35% (max), Moisture 10% (max) Calcium 0.35% (typical), Phosphorus 0.17% (typical).

The protein content is WAY too low, chins need 15-17% protein, and the CA:p is low. I fed a hay only diet which is essentially what these pellets are and it does not work, the chins health will suffer, I can tell you from experience.

Id rather just stick with the Mazuri and regular fresh timothy hay, I wasn't planning on changing food anyway :) thank you!

You can feed them along side your Mazuri pellets. I'm sure the chin would like them. I thought about trying out timothy hay pellets sold at the Tractor Supply store instead of giving hay cubes. Would be not as messy as loose hay.

Latest posts

Back