Wood toy related question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

Hello!!

I've got a question regarding chew toys.

I've noticed alot of people include popsicle sticks in their grab bags and chew toys for chins. I am now looking into picking some up to add to the toys I make my boys, but I can't find what Kind of wood these sticks are made of. The craft store by me has "Woodsies" by Loew-Cornell in various shapes and sizes, but I don't know if these are chin-safe... Anyone know how I'd be able to tell?
also... is it true I can use sugar-free Kool-aid to dye their sticks different colors?

Thanks!

another question

another question popped in my head after I submitted that one...
I asked about kool-aid to color sticks... I had another idea but I don't know how good of one it is, so please bare with me and don't bite my head off, it was just a thought...
is it possible to dip the sticks in say, apple juice, or some other chin-acceptable drink, to add a little flavor to the sticks? If not apple, maybe cranberry, or something... I don't know. I'd imagine only pure 100%, no from concentrate, or with any additives, and no sport-drinks. I know buddy loves apple sticks, and wondered if this would make for a silimar treat.

okay im going to finish working now;p thanks!

Apple wood and apple juice don't taste anything the same... yes, I've "eaten" wood, apple wood is actually pretty sweet if you get a tender new shoot!

I would not soak them in juice just to add flavor, the sugar in the juice would be a breeding ground for bacteria, and you'd have to make sure they baked really dry.

You can color with koolaid yes, don't add sugar, I'd imagine it would add some flavor.

A lot of things are made out of pine, I would be cautious that they are sprayed or treated though. Some people here probably sell toy parts, or check ebay, look under parrot toy parts for a good selection, in the end they are cheaper than the little packs at hobby stores.

I personally do not like Popsicle sticks because they splinter easily and I've heard of chins getting pieces stuck in their teeth, gums, or cheeks. Some people use them with no issues.

Fantastic!
I wasn't sure about the juice thing, was just an idea, but you bring up some good points I didn't really think of, so thanks a bunch, although I must admit I'm tempted to try some apple wood now :D
Koolaid it is, and I will continue to look into wood supplies.
Thanks!

I have tried chinchilla food. :) Pellet taste horrible but rosehips are quite yummy. I like to eat one along with the chins.

Rosehips are often used in tea! I also have eaten chin food, it tastes better than chin urine... which of course was a matter of my mouth being open at the wrong time! I did not find it that great myself... either!

To dry the koolaid, you can bake the wood on low in the oven say 175 or 200, or if it's summer, or you live in a dry warm area put it out on the sun for quick drying!

Uhhh... just saw NY... probably not warm or dry there right now! lol

I would not use the sticks from a craft store. If they are for crafts often times they are treated. I have contacted the manufacture for many products I have found at hobby stores to see what specific woods/treatments were used in the processing and I rarely received a straight forward answer that made me feel comfortable using the product.
I would recommend parrot city or grey feather toys for these types of items rather than a hobby store

I think chinchillas are somehow hypnotizing us to be their minions or something. They're making us eat their food, their treats, their PEE! yeah so i wouldn't dip any chin toys in a juice, but other people have already said that. I'm not sure, but if the popsicle sticks have no coloring, don't look darker than regular wood, than i would say they are not treated. The cashier might even know (probably not!)

Latest posts

Back