Wisdom teeth?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Anyone have issues with having their wisdom teeth pulled?

I have mine pulled over 3 weeks ago now. I am on several drugs for some health issues two of them who's side effect is immune system suppression, the other one's main purpose is immune system suppression. The oral surgeon knew about these medications and even noted them. Yet he didn't give me any antibiotics and by the time I left with my scripts I was so doped up I didn't know up from down, then I passed it off as not important.

Well... so far I've missed 2 days of work (24 hours for me because we work 3 -12's) due to being sick from the infection. I went through 3 years of nursing school and only missed one day because I was supeona'd to court, and in 7 months at my current job I've never missed a day, so it's upsetting to me to miss two days, even if I'm sick, lol. My WBC is normal, but my regular doctor could see the pus backing up into my ears and draining down my throat... with the pain in my jaws getting worse it just made sense. Now my face is hurting like my sinuses are infected (I've got chronic sinus issues). We're on day 4 of the antibiotics but still having quite a few issues. I'm going to call my GP tomorrow and see if he want's to bump me up on antibiotics or what he wants to do. I'm supposed to work Mon and Tues, as long as I'm not shaky or fatigued anymore, and of course not contagious I plan on working.

Other than the infection, I guess my main concern is the two top holes are healing well, but the one bottom one is not, I can't feel any new tissue filling in on it. Is this normal? I didn't not have dry socket in any of them, and took very good care of keeping them clean, no straws, I don't smoke, head elevated, everything I was supposed to... should I be concerned about this hole not filling in?

I've worked cattle, and I work nursing, so I know how some things get rushed through, but from everything I understand they should all be healing up now, the oral surgeon was highly recommended, but bed side manners were severely lacking and it was like a wham bam thank you maam, pay the bill on the way out deal, and his front desk staff is very rude. The techs who helped were really nice though, I just didn't think to ask what if one of the three giant holes in my mouth don't fill in.. lol.

I had all four of mine removed two years ago and it took almost two months for things to be healed up and no longer in pain. I still have a 'dead zone' on my face - an area with no feeling, only pins and needles - which apparently resulted from nerve damage done while they were getting the teeth out. To this day I don't know if I'll ever get the feeling back in the spot. I was told that the long healing time and the complications resulted from them having to remove bits of bone along with the teeth because the teeth were so impacted and embedded.

That aside, my three siblings have all had their out as well. Two with no problems and one who got a dry socket. They all had theirs out in their teens, I have mine out at 23

I ended up having to get rocephin shots in my rear... and now back on orals. Still a lot of congestion and drainage, at least my ears don't hurt anymore.

The tops are healing great, but the bottom has a big hole yet, the other bottom side was impacted so it was taken out the side. I didn't have any nerve damage but if I eat anything hot, it hurts in that empty socket on the bottom. :(

Not happy with the whole situation... especially the infection issues.

It took a year for one of my bottom incisions to become normal again. I had a little gap on the outside edge of my gums for that long. I had to keep pulling food out of it. I had really bad dry socket in both bottom holes though. I was on codeine for like 2months with clove oil packing being changed every week. Luckily no nerve damage despite bad impaction.

My one bottom hole is still open, the tops are "closed" as well as they do I guess. Good still gets stuck in there. The side were the incision for the impacted one is scarred badly and food gets stuck between the cheek and the scar all of the time, my tongue or finger won't fit into it to get it out.... :( They made it sound like a simple procedure with little to no side effects, I wish I had more info before this all happened.

I had to watch a video on all the risks and then agree to the surgery. It's pretty much necessary though. There was no point saying no and putting it off. My mom made it to near 40 with her wisdom teeth and then they started causing serious problems. Now several of her teeth are messed up and she still had to have her wisdom teeth removed. I had 2 molars on the top that were filled from cavities as a child and broke. I continued to avoid the dentist for several years with broken molars because I had a horrible dentist as a child and local anesthetic doesn't work well on me so there was always tons of pain when I went. By the time I gave in and went to the dentist the molars couldn't be saved and the xrays showed my impacted wisdom teeth. They were removing the broken molars anyway so they took out my wisdom teeth at the same time. The also drilled out and redid my other filled teeth. I'm guessing something was wrong with how they were filled which caused my cracked molars.

Mine had same cavities so they said just as well pull them instead of fill them since ya don't really need them... :/

Sorry you are still having trouble, but the bottom ones will heal ventrally - there's kind of no helping gravity, and stuff falling into the bottom ones, but eventually they will heal, the nerve pain will diminish, and you'll never, ever have to worry about them again. I got "lucky" and had mine out when I was in high school, because I had already had to have four teeth pulled because my jaw is just too narrow for the size teeth I have, and my orthodontist said, "Have them out now, or go through lots of pain, aging and have to redo having braces again later ... to which I of course said, "Yank 'em!"

At least, unlike my sister, they didn't crack my (or your) jaw bone because the roots of hers were starting to grow into it ...

We both got Dad's bug teeth, and Ma's narrow jaw, bad combination. My friend made me laugh for my eighth grade school picture, and my Dad took one look at them and said "Sheesh - looks like the tooth fairy went berserk! Call the good doc!"

Latest posts

Back