Winter Temperatures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill61086

This is the first year my chins will be living in a town that snows. I have to use the central heat. I was wondering what temperature you all in cold weather set the thermostat to. I have let it go no higher than 68. They are not in front of the vents. Also we are traveling for three weeks and have a pet sitter coming daily, there was no boarding available near us. What would you say is a lower temperature the house can be set at when we are out of town. I was thinking between 60-62. I will have my pet sitter check on the temp daily. We may be freezing here, but I do not want them to overheat. We managed to travel 2000+ miles without any overheating. We are careful.

Thanks!

60-62 is perfectly fine. I let the barn go down to 45 in the winter with no issues. I would be more worried about your pipes in your house freezing than the chins freezing, even 55 would be fine. Just give them a fleece tube or something to cuddle up in and they'll be good to go.

My chin room is between 50 and 60 in the winter and there are no issues, except that I freeze my butt off when I go to do chores (then I'll run the heater a bit to warm myself up).

My chin room stays between 65-68 in the winter. On rare occasions it can be a couple degrees cooler than that, if the temp outside is really low. Your temp is good, mine is on the high side...

Thanks for the replies I will try 60-62 when traveling. I have a neighbor to notify if the apartment complex loses power. They will be taken care of.

My chin is in my bedroom and even though I've had it since Monday my room has been kept pretty cold. I'll probably keep it around the same and just grab a blanket for myself :)

I have an older female Chin and in the living room I have and eleictric rad heater and every time she out she sits with her head right at the heater she will sit there for hours when I get her she is realuy warm why does she do this

Back