will you help me find a better substitution for my boy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

i was actually a little proud of myself that I didn't have to bother you guys too many questions anymore but.... yea = =

again, he looooves those treat from petstore.

http://www.kaytee.com/products/fiesta-yogurt-chips-cranberry-raisin-yogurt.php

I don't know if it is bad. I don't feel comfortable let him have it though. I wonder if there is anything sort of like this that he would enjoy? He doesn't like rosehips for sure. He occasionally have those apple cookies i got off of internet. But nothing drive him crazy as much as yogurt treat. And I enjoy making him happy.

I don't give Edgar anything with dairy or dried fruit because they just don't need it. Edgar gets rose hips, oats and sometimes a bit of Mrs. Pastures horse cookies. One cookie actually lasts a long time since he only gets a pea sized piece every other day at most.

Try giving him some old fashioned rolled oats, mine all love those. Also the mini shredded wheat with no sugar. I give both of these as an occasional treat. (usually when we buy them for ourselves, like once every couple months.)

Agreed with Siylvat. He might like the taste of the yogurt treats, but they are bad for him and are really high in fat. I would try the unsweetened shredded wheats. They like the texture and the crunch of them. He will forget about the yogurt treats in no time.

My boys (all 4 of them) and the rescue girls love crystas critter cookies. Shes a member on here but i don't remember her screen name.

You may enjoy making him happy but those treats are only hurting him. Chins do not process dairy and it can really end up making him sick.

Unfrosted shredded wheat, plain cherrios, old fashioned oats, and chin cookies are all big hits here. Another much loved treat are apple sticks..not really a treat but a chew, but they love them more than most treats.

Old fashioned oats are absolutely Kiwis favorite treat, and it costs next to nothing for me to buy them. A big bag will last one chin a really long time and only cost about $3.00. She adores them.

Plain cherrios- the cereal. You want the plain ones in the yellow box- none of the flavored ones.

pairing-cherrios_300.jpg

The quaker old fashioned oats- make sure they say old fashioned. Not instant.

quaker-oats-med.jpg

Both can be found in the cereal section of Wal-mart or any other grocery.

Last edited:
I figure two or three would be about the same as a shredded wheat, I wouldn't go more than that so you know he's getting enough nutrients from his food.

Cheerios is cereal - they are tiny and doughnut shaped - they come in a yellow box and are made by General Mills. Mini shredded wheat is also breakfast cereal, those are square in shape and are made by Post. They are in a red box - just make sure you get the "spoon size" Original, not the flavored, or the Frosted Miniwheats. You can find both of these in the cereal isle of any grocery store. Most stores have their store brand, but if you read the labels, there is just a tiny difference in the ingredient quality, so I buy the "name brand". As for the old fashioned oats - you might know it better as Quaker Oat Meal. Uncooked oat meal is nothing more than rolled oats. You can also get this at any grocery store - I believe this is also in the cereal isle. Just make sure you get the "Old Fashioned", not the "Quick" or "Instant". Believe me, your baby will forget all about that nasty ole' yogurt and pet store treats Super quick!

Around my house, Cheerios, "Shreddies", and Oats = Chinnie Crack!!

It is honestly best not to give them anything with SUGAR or DAIRY. the only thing you should give them is the natural oats. I give my whole grain wheat. all natural no sugar at all. or Cherrios but not honey nut just plain wheat cherrios as treats.

i forgot sugar rots their teeth just like candy and they will be in pain and dairy sometimes we human bodies are not meant to process dairy! imagine chins. too much bacteria for chins. hope this helps

Back