Will he 'forget' me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimon

Hey guys. I'm off on holiday with my family on Monday and we're going for 5 weeks. I've already left my flat in Wales and returned home to my parents to prepare for the trip. Pixel is being looked after by my boyfriend who is staying behind. I was just wondering if anyone had been away from their chins for a long time and if they acted any different when you returned. I can't imagine him forgetting me altogether but I've been thinking he may be hesitant when I arrive back to our home and have him out to play. This is the first time I'm going away for such length of time. I'm probably being silly but I'm going to miss him :(

How long have you had him? IF you've had him for a length of time, he'll remember you, but he'll probably be pretty ticked off for a little while. If you've only had him a short period of time, you may have to start from scratch. Regardless, take it slow initially and don't smother him with affection when you get home, but he'll be fine.

I was away from one of my chins off and on for two years. When I left to go to college in 2008, Banilly had to stay behind with my boyfriend. I came home for summers and Christmas and one weekend a month. I'm pretty sure she recognized me every time I came home, but was a tiny bit more shy around me than she was before she left. Last year, my fiance, Banilly, and our dog all moved in with me here and it's like I never left. Banilly is still my baby and everything is back to normal. All chins are different, so you can never be sure what to expect. Just thought I'd share my positive experience :))

No...i gave my chinchilla to a friend to watch for 2 years while i was in college and when i went to pick him up it was like i never left. I did have him for 4 years before that so it might depend on how long you have had him.

Last edited:
I was away from Trixie for about 3 weeks about 3 years ago. At the time we had her for 3 years. I had surgery, and then was in rehab. I gave her a lot of attention before I left..when I came home, she was waiting on her perch for me, and when I went to her cage she leaned right in for a skritch...and I took her out for a run that evening, she was on and off my shoulder a lot.

I agree. I had my chins for ~6 months and left for six weeks and when I came home they still remembered me and hopped on over to say hello. They were a bit more shy than usual but they were getting a lot of love and attention from my mother in our break so we had no problem hopping back into the swing of things. :D

My bunny, Miss Hoppy, would get mad at ME whenever my husband and I went away. We could leave at the same time, come home at the same moment, but she'd not even let me pet her for a day after we got back. Animals are funny, but I am pretty sure your chin will remember you - even if he is a tad distant at first, like my bunny was!

When me and the bf take visits to see his mom, my mom looks after my chinnies. When we come back they always come to the front of the cage to say hello, im sure they dont forget us and i know they get excited when i bring out a goody bag :D I usually get them some new hay cookies or wood chews. When i let them out for playtime i notice that they jump on me and my bf alot more than when we are here with them on a day to day basis :D

Back