wierd looking scab on chinchillas ear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
it has this thing on its ear i thought it was an injury from before i bought it but i just wanna make sure theres nothing wrong and if there is, i wanna do something about it

You have to post a picture of it. Certain colored chins get freckles which can initially freak new owners out. Sometimes chins get port wine stains in their ears that go away. Take a picture of it and post it and we can look at it

there is a picture posted (I cant see that either in Firefox, so I switched over to Internet Explorer and saw the red x box, looked into the image Properties and saw the url) it comes up here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pqvq6h&s=7 That's kind of scary, my first guess would be fungus but I really dont know and will let someone else take a whack at it.

Looks like fungus...how long has it been there? Treat with desenex powder in dust bath and thoroughly clean all items in contact with chin. Chin will also need to be kept away from other chins.

its been there since i got it, where can i find desenex powder ?

which was 4 days ago

Last edited by a moderator:
you need a foot powder tinactin it should be in the foot section at the pharmacy or ask the pharmacist. Place this in the chins dust and give baths using the special dust treated with the tinactin. The cage has to be cleaned completely. What type of cage do you have? Plastic is very hard to treat for fungus. Any wood has to be removed, scrubbed clean and baked. Try doing a search on the forum for fungus for more help.

You can find it at most local pharmacies, look in the athletes foot section. You want powdered form and not the cream. Place a tablespoon or two in the dustbath and make sure the chins bathes daily in it. Sounds like he had the fungus when you got him.

You can soak your pan in the tube with bleach water, and wash your cage this way too. Just make sure you give it a very good rinse afterwards to get rid of the bleach. There is a powder called sulfur of flowers, that you can find on Amazon to also put in dust to get rid of fungus. Some even use BluKote. it will stain the fur,ears purple, but works. You can find this product at any feed store just about, in a yellow container. If it comes up again, and you have a another cage, and the weather improves, the sun works too. Leave it outside for a few days. I'm not really sure about the wood items. I've heard some say throw anything wood out, but you could try to scrub and bake like Laurie mentioned.
Good luck!

i got tinactin it says its powder spray is that good ? and alright im in the process of cleaning everything now

but i sprayed it on a surface and it eventually turned into powder

Last edited by a moderator:
welll i tried it anyway and after his dust bath he seemed more energetic and started eating more, you think it had anything to do with it

I don't think the spray had anything to do with it. Probably just the excitement of the bath.You should still get the powder vs the spray your using.

You need to add the powder to his dust so he can roll in it and treat all parts of the chinchilla. This can not be done with the spray powder.

the spray is a liquid when it comes out of the bottle. you don't want to get a chinchilla wet that is already having fungus problems. get the dry powder form of tinactin and treat properly.

Back