Why get a wheel at all?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheel and ball move in slightly different ways. When a chin jumps/runs forward it pushes with its back legs. In a free standing wheel this would mean the surface under the chin is pushed backwards making the wheel spin forwards. In a ball the surface under the chin is met with the resistance of the floor underneath. Balls are meant for animals that use their front legs to move forward. As they reach forward with their front feet the top surface of the ball is pushed down to move the ball forward.

All of my chins have wheels and they all love using them. Only one has been in a ball and he got mad and just sat in it not moving. (That was before I knew better).

i suppose if the ball were to be bigger and better ventilated in theory it would work

current ball even at largest is not big enough and is bad for their________? (back?i forgot someone help me? )

better air flow may only result in bigger holes and then toes being stuck etcetc

Only one of my monsters won't use the wheel, at least not that I have seen. I have a wheel for each cage and all of my other chinnies love them. Moya is quiet but the boys... make soooo much noise with their Silver Surfer's that you would think they were PetCo specials. I sleep with a noise machine to help block it out. lol

Back