Who uses the FN 143?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

Was thinking about adding on the 143, just wondering for people that do have it, do you like yours? I read on someone's post one day that they had it and their chins never really went up there, do other people have this problem? Thanks :D

You will need a little step stool to use it, and it will not fit through standard 6.5' doorways. Oh and be careful on carpet, it is very top heavy and will fall over.

i have the 143 but it is closed off to make a 3 individual level. we had to take off the bottom storage area just to fit and even with it off, it is hard to reach the 3rd level. but then again i am only 5'3.
i say get it and if your chin doesnt use it...........close it off and get another chin! lol

Do you find that yours is unstable once you take off the bottom? That's probably going to be what I do when I finally put mine together.

Oh no, it would be quite stable with no legs. It works out to about the same height as normal without legs. But I need that shelf to store toys, racks, wood, food, etc..

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about...the lack of storage. I'm pretty tall at 5'9", so I know with the shelf there it won't be that bad, but I'm then worried about it being stable. I have hard wood floors, but still.

crysta--it is way MORE stable! the only thing that is difficult is cleaning the little guy on the bottom. i usually just sit on the floor and do it that way.
i just put metal trays in there and that has made a real difference, so if you dont have them get them.
that cage is in my basement and it barely clears the ceiling. it would be too hard to move assembled and would need to be taken apart if i ever needed to move it upstairs.

i agree about the storage though. that part kinda stinks. but you work it out.

i just picked up another FN and had my fiance build me a wooden table.
i put the 2 level on one side and i am either going to get another 2 level, if i need to give jill back her cage OR i am going to break this cage down to a 2 level, so that i have 2, 2 levels next to each other and than i have a nice big table to slide everything under. it is higher than the shelf that came with the FN, so large storage containers of food, hay, etc.....fit nice.
i will post a pic later of how it is set up now. just an empty cage but you will get the idea.

Last edited:
You dont want to move it thats for sure... If you have children and you keep the shelf on bottom, you really need to chain it to the wall. I could easily tip it over with shelf on the bottom as it reaches 7 feet.

I could easily tip it over with shelf on the bottom as it reaches 7 feet.

i cant fit more than 3 levels without the storage area. i would only have 2 levels on the table with the metal storage removed. and the table is very sturdy and is actually lower than the 3 level i have by about 4 inches. i can finally reach the top of the top level.
i will post pix so you see what i mean.

If you're attaching a third level, I suggest you go to the hardware store and get heavier duty wheels. The ones that come with the FN are pretty crappy and don't stand up well to the extra weight.

I am in the process of switching over to the 3 level FNs and will be removing the stand/storage area.

I agree with Meanie about the craptastic wheels. I was able to get better wheels that fit the FN from a member of another forum, and they are FANTASTIC!

Well I don't have any kids... well that at aren't furry that is :D but it would be on carpet for sure. I have the cage in my office, so I wouldn't need to move it anywhere, just add it on. How hard is it to add on? Putting the cage together was an adventure, I guess if I can handle that I can handle the add on ;) What type of wheels should I look for?

i have the 143 but it is closed off to make a 3 individual level. we had to take off the bottom storage area just to fit and even with it off, it is hard to reach the 3rd level. but then again i am only 5'3.
i say get it and if your chin doesnt use it...........close it off and get another chin! lol

I am 5'2 :(

I was thinking about it for the Arlington chin, I have the girls together in the FN142 now so I was thinking I would get the 143 and use it as a quarantine cage for the Arlington chin. I figure the 143 will have the cut out, but I can use the plastic pans (covered with fleece) from my 142. I will have the quarantine 143 cage in my dining room for the 30 days and then I can add on the 143 to the 142 and not have wasted money on a quarantine cage. And of course if the trio doesn't work out, then I can separate the cage without having to take up anymore floor space.

I built mine with the 143 as well -- needed a ladder for building the 3rd story! I didn't think at first they used it that much. But since I had Bass pans, I took the original black plastic bottom tray and inverted it on the very top of the cage (to make it "darker" and covered up there). Well, judging from the number of poopies collecting there on Level 3, it is apparently their favorite nighttime hangout. I have mine set up as follows, all with Bass pans:

Level 1 -- Aspen shavings, flying saucer, hay racks, hay cubes, hidey house, water bottle -- the MESS zone

Level 2 - fleece liners from PPBN -- the SLEEP zone -- couple of houses/hideys, chubes, toys, toybox, water bottle, food dish

Level 3 - fleece liners - the PLAY zone -- toys and more toys like hanging gardens, PVC tubes/tunnels (also from PPBN), sleeping cot, feed dish

On levels 2 and 3, I kept the half-shelf FN balconies -- they don't chew on the plastic and it gives them another level. Took it off the bottom unit till they get more used to the Flying Saucer

I like it so much myself, I built a second one and acquired four more boys to fill it! I just finished it -- the stand braces were missing from the box, so this one does not have the stand on it at the moment, till FN sends me the missing parts. Not sure which way I like it best!

Last edited:
"I was able to get better wheels that fit the FN from a member of another forum, and they are FANTASTIC! "

do you remember the forum, I will need those wheels as I am putting together 3 levels of chins and need the wheels so I can move the cage when necessary

It was chinsnfriends.com, and I know she had gotten them at her local fleamarket. If I'm not mistaken though they stopped carrying them. :(

I built mine with the 143 as well -- needed a ladder for building the 3rd story! I didn't think at first they used it that much. But since I had Bass pans, I took the original black plastic bottom tray and inverted it on the very top of the cage (to make it "darker" and covered up there). Well, judging from the number of poopies collecting there on Level 3, it is apparently their favorite nighttime hangout. I have mine set up as follows, all with Bass pans:

Level 1 -- Aspen shavings, flying saucer, hay racks, hay cubes, hidey house, water bottle -- the MESS zone

Level 2 - fleece liners from PPBN -- the SLEEP zone -- couple of houses/hideys, chubes, toys, toybox, water bottle, food dish

Level 3 - fleece liners - the PLAY zone -- toys and more toys like hanging gardens, PVC tubes/tunnels (also from PPBN), sleeping cot, feed dish

On levels 2 and 3, I kept the half-shelf FN balconies -- they don't chew on the plastic and it gives them another level. Took it off the bottom unit till they get more used to the Flying Saucer

I like it so much myself, I built a second one and acquired four more boys to fill it! I just finished it -- the stand braces were missing from the box, so this one does not have the stand on it at the moment, till FN sends me the missing parts. Not sure which way I like it best!

Wow! I would love to see some pics of this setup, it sounds great!

Essentia pointed some things out about the FN143 to me before I made a big mistake.Just want to let you know too. The FN 143 does not come with a top cage panel, you HAVE to take the one off of the FN 142,put your 143 on top of it and then use the top from the 142 for your new cage top. I was sooo thankful she let me know this. The 141 is only slightly higher priced(about $10 I think).I ended up ordering it instead because I liked the option of still having ability to use a separate single FN in another room for quarantine and I wanted to always have the option available to me to separate my two bonded boys if needed(all I have to do is put the cover over the FN142 acess cover). Just food for thought. And the more I thought about it, I didn't wnat the cage to be so high for cleaning and acess to chinnie.:)

Essentia pointed some things out about the FN143 to me before I made a big mistake.Just want to let you know too. The FN 143 does not come with a top cage panel, you HAVE to take the one off of the FN 142,put your 143 on top of it and then use the top from the 142 for your new cage top. I was sooo thankful she let me know this. The 141 is only slightly higher priced(about $10 I think).I ended up ordering it instead because I liked the option of still having ability to use a separate single FN in another room for quarantine and I wanted to always have the option available to me to separate my two bonded boys if needed(all I have to do is put the cover over the FN142 acess cover). Just food for thought. And the more I thought about it, I didn't wnat the cage to be so high for cleaning and acess to chinnie.:)

So I wouldn't be able to use the 143 alone as a quarantine cage? That sucks :( How about rolling it? I like that I can roll the cage out and vacuum the poops behind/underneath it, will it be too unsafe to roll it out with the 143 on it?

No - the 143 is ONLY an add on - there's no top to it - you take the top from the 142 and move it. If you want a separate cage you'll need a 141. It was made to "upsize" the 141 into a 2 story cage - just like 142. I had the 142 with a 143 on top and could move it - CAREFULLY - to vacuum around it - but I generally use a shop vac around the chin cage anyway.

http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/category/default.aspx?submenu=2&catid=29

Latest posts

Back