Who here has playpens?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
I was just wondering who on the forum has playpens and how the different brands compare. If I get one without a cover could I just put a sheet over the top or something? Also I don't know which size would be best, though I assume I'd be most likely to buy the largest one I find. Does anyone have pictures of their chins playing in them or any advice on which brand to buy? Thanks!

Elaine

I've used a Ware pop-up playpen for about a year or so. It's used once a week during cage cleaning time, and while I really like it, I'm not sure how much longer its gonna last. The zipper broke on the top, so I cover it with a blanket while the chin is in there.

I love my ware pop up! so obsessed with it. I have had it for a year...Kate if the zippers broke put a twin size fitted sheet maybe?

I have a Marshall's wire playpen. I'm not a fan of it. It's heavy and clunky and a pain to set up.

I have a few of the Midwest Playpens. I usually use 2 together. MOST of my chins don't hop out of them but I do have one that will so I put a sheet on top.

I also LOVE my Ware pop-up playpen that I've had for 3 years now but it has been used by my chins for over 2.5 years. I've washed the bottom several times and everything still works on it. It has a zip top as well. There is room for humans to sit in there with the chins as well. Below are pics taken within the last couple of years.

IMG_0697.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

5bb587b5.jpg

1b64868d.jpg

41285d8f.jpg

Oh my goodness. I NEED one of those! That looks perfect and the chins look like they are loving it!

Wow Sandi, pictures were exactly what I needed, thank you! One question though, do your chins ever chew on the mesh/inside material? I remember putting my first chin in a soft shell dog carrier once, and he chewed through the mesh liner in about 30 seconds.

And thanks everyone else for your posts, I was wondering which brands were the easiest to set up/move/store, since my chin room is pretty small. Does anyone know where I can get the ware pop-up for a good deal?

I'm surprised nobody else has had issues with their Ware playpen. Maybe its the model I have? Sandi, how does your bottom attach? Mine is velcro but after several washings (Cleo pees in there every playtime :p) the velcro no longer works. Also there is plastic cording around the edges, and the elastic used to hold the playpen together when its folded is also wearing out.

I thought I might switch to a metal foldable playpen, but sounds like people aren't happy with those either. Hmm, what to do...

Wow Sandi, pictures were exactly what I needed, thank you! One question though, do your chins ever chew on the mesh/inside material? I remember putting my first chin in a soft shell dog carrier once, and he chewed through the mesh liner in about 30 seconds.

And thanks everyone else for your posts, I was wondering which brands were the easiest to set up/move/store, since my chin room is pretty small. Does anyone know where I can get the ware pop-up for a good deal?

I've seen one or two of my boys nibble on a corner every now and then but they are way too busy with all the toys & wood & dust in the playpen to keep at it. I got mine at Petco intended for my pug over 3 years ago but the pug knocked that playpen down in 5 seconds so I stored it until I decided to try it for the chins. I know there are other pop-up playpens made by different manufacturers but I don't know how well made they are. I saw them at Wal-Mart and the large size, which is what I have was $90.

I'm surprised nobody else has had issues with their Ware playpen. Maybe its the model I have? Sandi, how does your bottom attach? Mine is velcro but after several washings (Cleo pees in there every playtime :p) the velcro no longer works. Also there is plastic cording around the edges, and the elastic used to hold the playpen together when its folded is also wearing out.

Everything is working on mine and I haven't had any issues with anything falling apart. When the chins were on the main floor of the house, I would always have to open & close it all the time. Now that the chins are in the finished basement, I have it set up for them in one corner and never have to put it away. I do know what you mean about the velcro as one of them doesn't stick too well but I put a chiller on top of that one and it's not a problem anymore.

OMG !!!! Where do you get one of those?!?!

I got mine at Petco several years ago but they sell them everywhere, all you have to do is google it. Amazon has them too, just make sure you get the Large size.

Oh, the pop up one sounds great to use for Trixie during cage cleaning. I have usually put her in her carrier, which totally stresses her. I was trying to think of an alternative, as I do not want her shying of the carrier, since I use it to get her to her playroom.

I forgot to mention that I bought some real cheap fleece (discontinued colors) & throw in a piece that is almost the size of the bottom piece of the playpen so now I just pick that up after a day of all the chins playing in there and shake it off & throw it back in unless someone peed in it, then I wash it first.

Oh I'm so glad I found this thread!

I'm purchasing that pop up one with my next paycheck (by the way, $65 on ebay + $25 Canadian shipping w/ possible USPS), and I'm really glad other people use it! I like this option best because I'll be able to fold it up and shove it under my bed.
I also like the idea of getting a big piece of fleece and putting it in the bottom - I'll be looking into that too.

Are there any suitable less expensive alternatives to this Ware playpen? haha that ones a little expensive =/

I have a Marshall's play pen and I rarely use it for the chinchillas. I prefer just letting them run around the bathroom will I sit on the floor and let them climb on me. I do use the play pen to put the guinea pigs out in the shady grass sometimes in the summer, though. I have a cover I put over the top. The one made specifically for this play pen.

Back