Whisper's Ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaygin

I noticed that when shes playing her ears are palish and I can't see the veins yet when shes sleeping they get very red but about 2 seconds after she wakes up they go right back to being there palish yet slightly pink veined ears and the veins them self's go down after about 10 seconds is it normal?

Yes, it's normal. Chins most often sleep with their ears pressed against their bodies. The body heat warms up the ears and causes them to become bright red.

Ok thanks by the way I have some pictures of her sleeping. and yes the cage is more than enough room for her at 2.5" high and 2" wide by 1.5" long I'm not sure about the carpet but the breeder said it wont hurt her and the ramps I took out last week so no hurting her cute little feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I would take out the carpet, despite the breeder telling you it's safe. It's not. She could ingest the fibers from it and you'd be facing some problems. Replace it with fleece. It doesn't fray and the chins usually don't bother it much.

Ok thanks by the way I have some pictures of her sleeping. and yes the cage is more than enough room for her at 2.5" high and 2" wide by 1.5" long I'm not sure about the carpet but the breeder said it wont hurt her and the ramps I took out last week so no hurting her cute little feet.

Already taken care of lol.

Yeah shes always laying on her side on that shelf sleeping. As a matter of fact shes sleeping on it now. I moved alot around in the cage and added somethings too. Like I said there no ramps and I'm going to be making custom shelf piece made of un-treated pine wood surrounded by fleece. Plus I think I'll make this thread my update and new picture thread plus any advise I'll need will be posted here too.

No apology needed good advise is seldom something to be sorry about. Now I have another question. Her third and highest shelf she seems to ignore and that's where her food is but as an added issue I cant put the ramp back in even if i wanted to so is there a way to entice her to jump up there to let her know her foods up there?

I have a frozen water bottle covered in fleece in my cage. My little girl likes to sleep with her head almost under it.

Very cute sleepy baby you have there.

A lot of chins avoid the top shelf because it makes the feel exposed. You can put something like a piece of cardboard on top of the cage to give her the feeling that she is still protected.

New Shelfing

As of today I finally got to making Whisper's new shelf's and I think I did a good job. There are no stitching just 7 deep staples to hold the fabric in place and all the staples are in places where she can't bite or nip at them. Inside the fleece is untreated pine and the fleece is double layered so if she does decide to chew it she'll at least have a hard time with it.

And yes I threw in a Picture of her in her dust bowl just for fun lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
That dust bowl pic is hilarious! When chin's ears are down like that when they're sleeping or sleepy, I call that "sleepy ear." LOL...I dunno, I've made my own lingo when it comes to chins. Sleepy ear pics are the best!

Yeah she sometimes falls asleep in her dust bowl and seeing as I'm holding it the whole time shes in it a very gentle shake of the bowl or a light tap on the bowl will wake her up.

Last edited:
Well today is Whisper's First birthday. I think I spoil her bit bit lol every night she runs around on my bed before I go to sleep and she gets 3 whole wheat Cheerio's then too lol. SHHHH shes getting a hammock for her birthday lol.

Back