Which Purina?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippo456

I know that Purina changed the formula of their rabbit feed earlier this year. Currently my chins are on Mazuri & they've never had any problems with it.
Recently I bought a sample of PANR (must be the old formula) & fed it to my chins & they seem to eat more of it compared to the Mazuri, so I'm willing to give Purina a try.
I looked at the Purina website & they seem to have several types of the Chow formula: Complete, Fibre3, Professional, Show, & Garden.
Which type is the one that is most commonly used by the members of this forum?
Do the various formulae really make a different?
I noticed that the Professional has 18% protein + 14.5% fibre, Show has 16% protein + 18.5% fibre, Complete has 16% protein + 17% fibre, Fibre3 has 15% protein + 20% fibre.
Thanks!

I feed my Purina Rabbit Show Chow (PRSC). If you do a search there is a thread with some comparison notes on the PRSC and the Fibre3.

I also feed the PRSC (or whatever the kind QMC sells) and it does really well. Tia has really fattened up on it, and Bessie too.

That's what I need for my chins!!! I am soooo switching to it!. (I have been feeding Oxbow). I want them to be rounder. I heard that CHOW "Fiber"-version makes chins lose weight or something.

I also feed the PRSC (or whatever the kind QMC sells) and it does really well. Tia has really fattened up on it, and Bessie too.

Yea, I noticed that QMC doesn't specify which one. I thought the name of it was Purina Rabbit Natural Advantedge for the longest time, but it's just not written whether it's the complete, chow or whatever. I think I'm going to email and ask but if anyone here knows and can answer I would appreciate it. I also assume it's the Chow more than likely but want to be sure.

Yea, I noticed that QMC doesn't specify which one. I thought the name of it was Purina Rabbit Natural Advantedge for the longest time, but it's just not written whether it's the complete, chow or whatever. I think I'm going to email and ask but if anyone here knows and can answer I would appreciate it. I also assume it's the Chow more than likely but want to be sure.

I meant to say I assume it's the SHOW not chow--chow is just part of the name oops!! words with one letter difference confuse me...

Anyways-to the OP I feed the stuff QMC sells and the Show is considered the best nutritionally for chins by people of this forum. The fibre3 is alright, but is a little low on protein and fat for people, so some chins lose weight on it.

I fed my boys PANR (Purina Animal Nutrition Rabbit SHOW).

When they changed the name to PRCS (Purina Rabbit Chow SHOW), I switched to that.

It comes only in 50 pounds in a BLUE bag, as far as I can tell. I just have the feed store scoop me out 15 pounds and then donate the rest to the Denver Dumb Friends League. That way the boys always have fresh food, which I think is better.

The difference between the complete and the show is that the complete product has corn in the pellet and the show has added vegetable oil, which is probably to help the coats of the chins? Sort of like how oils/fats added to a dogs diet often helps their coats...

I'm tempted to try the Garden Recipe as it has added Timothy Hay, which Complete, Show, Professional and Fibre varieties do not have.

I feed my boys the Fibre3 and they love it. They seem to be gaining/
maitaining their weight. every morning I fill the bowl and by the time I get off work, it's usually all gone.

Last edited:
Hi! I just recently adopted my Chin Ling Ling and the breeder said they had tried different foods on their chins and the one they stuck with and I'm gonna stay with is the Purina Rabbit Chow Show. My chin loves it!

Is Purina a lot cheaper than Mazuri? By the time I have 25lbs shipped to me, it runs me $50 but although its healthy (vet's opinion) they aren't gaining like they should for being under one year-around 500g for 10 mos.

Is their not a feed store near you? I would check. You can get 25lbs of Mazuri for $15ish at a feed store.

My PRCS runs me between $16-$18 for 50 lbs depending on the feed store.

I also feed the blue bag Purina Show. What do you all think about the gray bag Purina Professional for mom's and babies? It's 18% protein whereas the show is 16%. I also raise Flemish Giant Rabbits and they do much better on the Professional when they are growing or nursing.

Latest posts

Back