Which One

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people will say it doesn't matter, each chin has it's own unique personality. In my experience though, my males are more friendly. I have had 5 males and only one did not like being touched. Nitro is the only chin I can pet from head to tail and Cloud is a rare lap chin. The other two enjoy their scritches but, can have a rare attitude.

I've had 7 females and only one likes scritches. Four act friendly and curious, just don't like to be touched. Two preferred that I just leave them alone and barked when I came near.

I agree; it is personal preference. However, in my own experiences, of the four chins I have, two are boys and two are girls. The girls are wonderful and curious and love attention BUT don't like scritches or to be held in any way. My boys love love love to be pet and scritched and love to be with me, on my shoulder or playing with me as a jungle gym. This isn't the case for everyone though.

I have had two females and neither one loved to be held much, but Idgie is very cuddly and huggy when playing. She just doesn't like to be confined. Some females spray when cornered, though Idgie never has. But with males, there are hair ring checks. Personally, I would choose more by temperment of a specific chin than worry about the sex.

My vote goes for the females but both make really good pets.

I only have males, but I always say go for your opposite sex lol :)

Ha, I usually suggest to a first time buyer, when I get this question, as I always do, that is really does not matter, it comes down to the chin, but like said above, I personally have had more very sweet males than I do females. All my chins have become pretty personable and they all get the same attention, but males just seem more calm and willing to be in pairs, and not fight later on randomly.

We have had more girls be grumpy and crabby than boys. But.. on the flip side we do have a few very sweet girls who love to have their neck scratched. It does all boil down to what kind of personality chin has.

Ditto for everything said above. There is one thing to think about, and that's the females are the ones who spray when threatened. Most females don't do this, but some do. Males do not spray as far as I know.

We have 4 boys... so I can only speak for them... Girls spray (sometimes) but boys have their moments as well. I think if you find a chin that you like... I would say go with that.

Ditto for everything said above. There is one thing to think about, and that's the females are the ones who spray when threatened. Most females don't do this, but some do. Males do not spray as far as I know.
Oh idk about that. I've been sprayed by a few males in my time.

Ann - you left yourself wide open on that answer!! haha But I'll be good!

I find the cons of males are hair ring checks, and their peeing out of the cage. Ive never been sprayed by my 12 boys. I know not all girls 'spray' but I think it would be super unpleasant to have a girl chinnie who does!

I've only had three chins over my life time: 2 males and one female.
And in my experience the males where much better behaved and friendly then my female. BUT like others have said before it really depends on the chins personality. My first male was much friendlier then the one I have now.

Ann - you left yourself wide open on that answer!! haha But I'll be good!
Be nice now......All I was saying is that their are just as many un-friendly males as there are females.

i love my males the seem more mellow(mine do) than my females they let me pet them pick them up and give scritches. most of my females tend to push my hand away or pee at me if i try.

Thanks everyone, I am going to adopt a chin in aug. (hopefully) I fell in love with a little girl but if they spray then i dont think its a good idea...

With males you have hair ring checks, and the ocasional "special attention" to your hand or foot (thank goodness hasn't happened here, I guess they don't find me attractive) I have some females that spray and most who don't it all depends on the chinchilla in question

Latest posts

Back