Which one would you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ime, the Oxbow I've seen is within the realm of natural hay colors. The batches I've gotten in the last 6 mo. were just very stemmy and yellow/brown. The Kaytee I've gotten in the past is consistently a uniform pale green, which anybody that sources their hay locally can tell you is odd. There's always some natural color variation b/c of how much liquid, sugar, etc. is in the grass when it's cut and dried. If every single stalk or stem or leaf is the same color (or nearly so) I'd suspect it to be artificially colored.

I bought a bag of oxbow timothy hay, and it too was ridiculously stemmy, so much so that it was actually sharp and cut my hand. And the parts that were softer were brown and very sad looking. The orchard grass has been consistently awesome though.

I've wondered about Kaytee, but they say that they insist that there aren't any additives(http://www.kaytee.com/products/timothy-hay-mini-bale.php). I'm not so sure though.

Back