Which one would you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
The picture below was taken tonight, after I received a hay order from a new supplier in Upstate New York.

Which do you think looks like the better hay, the one on the left or the one on the right?

picture.php

(I know which one I'm happier with, and I know how the chins reacted to it, but a side-by-side comparison like this can help new owners know what they're looking for when they go shopping for hay.)

I have found with mine that how it looks does not forsee palatalbility, some of the most skanky looking hay tasted best to them. I worry about smell more than looks.

My guys would probably like the one on the right more. But they all like first cut timothy. My second cut gets nibbled but 90% of it is on the floor within an hour or two.

I always smell the hay with the chinchillas and horses. Smell is more inportant than apperance. Bad hay smells Musty. You can definitly smell moldy hay good hay smells clean

the one on the right "looks" better but the one on the left probably "tastes" better,

i am sure a lot of us can agree.......chins can be a real pain in the rear when it comes to hay! i have gone thru so, so many different brands and varieties. for the most part most of my guys like the Oxbow timothy BUT of course i have a few that wont really eat certain bunches of it. last time i got the 25lb box and there is really good sections and some that only my Guinea Pig will eat!

i know Rhino would nom nom up the pile on the right in no time flat. he loves the coarser stalky hay.

i agree with others that have said smell is the best indicator. i get the strangest looks when i'm smelling bags of hay in petsmart, but i don't care, gotta get the good hay for my baby :))

Annabelle would definitely prefer the batch on the left. She loves the rotten looking brown, shriveled up hay!
I always give hay the sniff test, as well.

Apparently my chins are like Annabelle. Not even that they prefer the brown pieces, but that they prefer the mix that I can somewhat see in the picture on the left. Right now we are using a mix of Timothy, Orchard, Alfalfa and a bit of clover. They LOOOOOOOVE it. I've never had them eat as much hay as they do this bale. I'm praying the horse farm where I purchased it from gets more in when I need it.

I also like the darker green color of the hay to the left, but that's mainly because it seems that's what the chins here prefer.

The one on the left made my whole kitchen smell sweet and grassy the minute I opened the box. I didn't even have to stick my face in it like I usually do. :) The one on the right just smelled sort of dusty. My guys only eat the stemmy stuff if that's all that's left in the morning, so I've composted SO MUCH of the bag on the right it ticks me off. But, what I like about the one on the left (besides the fresh, sweet smell) is the depth of the color. Yes, its kinda brownish in that photo, but it doesn't look as artificial as the one on the left.

Anybody care to guess what the one on the right is?

Hi,Please let me know if any of these were ordered from farmer dave?
Because Ive been searching for good places to order hay&I was going to order from him?

Neither of these are Farmer Dave, but I order from him occasionally. I like his hay, and for me, it's not as big a hit to the wallet b/c I live a couple of counties away from his farm. His stuff, when I've ordered it, looks more like the stuff on the left. The stuff from the left I got here: http://www.organichayco.com/OrganicHayco/Shop.html (They're haying right now, so I don't think you can order, but it'll be up soon after.)

Hi,Please let me know if any of these were ordered from farmer dave?
Because Ive been searching for good places to order hay&I was going to order from him?

I use FarmerDave. My guys won't eat anything else. They throw it all away. It's pricey, but if it's what they like, who am I to stop it. Shipping is more since I just moved across the country. But he does offer a lower rate if you order over 150 pounds. I'm gonna be going in with a friend for it-maybe you could do the same.

Was just reading on Farmer Dave's site about the different cuts and saw this

FarmerDave will NOT add coloration to make it look more appealing to the human eye.

Do any of the brands do this? I did think Oxbow timothy was a bit of an odd colour:hmm:

Back