Which is more trustworthy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost11

2 breeders made the following statement when asked if the Chinchilla was tame.

1. "He is with me, but he will need getting used to at his new home"

2. "He has never bitten me, or been aggressive to me".

I know and understand that Chinchillas that come from breeders are with LOTS of other Chinchillas. This is what breeders to. They breed. They don't love on 200 plus Chinchillas every night like I do with my one. That would be almost impossible. Right?

1.One is extra dark ebony black. 2.The other is beige. 1. One has been near other males and hasn't had a problem near them. 2. One has been near females and hasn't had a problem with females. They're both males.

Do I choose one or 2? Please help. I want a tame one. :hair:

Maybe this is a stupid question and I am reading to much into what the breeders said. Who knows....

Last edited:
IMO, I would never use the word "tame" to define a chinchilla.

It may be true that the specific behaviors are present with the breeder but once in your home, they may be a different personality. There are no guarantees that the 2 chins will get along together, so you must ALWAYS be prepared for just in case, such as having an extra cage around if you have to separate them.

I have 2 cages, well technically I have 3. Lol. But, I am not getting 3. Both, breeders live rather far from me. (Hours) so I would be traveling 12+ plus hours to meet both. I had only planned on meeting one. I guess I got lucky, I got a "tame" one from a previous owner and it's "tame" at my house. Such a cuddle bug. So, I cont to use to use the word tame. That being said and taking into account they could act different at my house should I just go by color?

It's very possible they could act different towards you. At the rescue, I've literally seen chins "pick" their new home -- chins that will act crabby & bite some people, and then they find someone they like and are as sweet as can be. It's happened several times over the years, so it's very possible they could act differently with you.

It's also possible they could be cuddlebugs with you, you just never know until you meet the chin.

If color's important to you, then you could go by that. Since the breeders have said that neither chin is aggressive or bites, I would think that neither would be a bad choice.

It sounds like both breeders are being honest with you. There is no guarentee they will get along so its all about which chin YOU like more. You could try asking about their personality rather than if they are friendly. I have a chin I consider friendly but she will bite any guy who sticks his finger near her cage.it really depends on each chin and you.

GreyChin, Color isn't really that important. I just want to make a Chinchilla happy. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate all of you. I really do. I think you're right Dreamlite, they both seem honest & there is simply no guarantee. I will post pictures of the one I choose. Or try too. :)

If your main goal is to make a chinchilla happy then why not find a rescue?

I will never tell a potential owner that a chin is completely tame. Chins aren't "tame" animals like most people think of when they hear tame.

Why are you driving 12+ hours to meet a breeder? There are plenty of breeder right in Colorado...

Riven,
Due to the show they just had most breeders in Colorado don't have any left OR they are saving them for the next show in Nov. Anyway, I am not near anyone in Colorado (Ft. Collins, Greely) etc. . I was saying if I drove to see 2 breeders I would be driving that far combined. Maybe this should be moved to debatable. ;)

I just want to add that if your current chin is a cuddle bug, you may be disappointed that your new chin isn't. Cuddle bug chins are not the norm. I don't want to discourage you, just something to be prepared for.

Latest posts

Back