Where to buy large pieces of chin safe pine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillachris

Student of my chinchillas
Hi all,
Sorry to be posting twice in one day, but I really want an answer to a question I've been wondering about for a while. Lately I've been wanting to start building some items for my chinchillas because I want to save some $ and be able to experiment with making some custom stuff. So, here's my question: do any of you guys know a place where I can purchase large boards and pieces of chinchilla safe kiln dried pine? Do they sell kiln dried pine at Lowe's or Home Depot or do I have to buy it online? Thanks!
~Chris

Any plain wood board is safe. What you don't want is the greenish stuff that is treated lumber for outdoor use.

I'm not sure if it's a regional store but I got all my kiln dried pine at Menards as well as my stainless steel hanger bolts. My local Lowe's and Home Depot had absolutely nothing I needed.

Ya any wood store. Also use safe Elmer's glue or no glue at all. I like making my things out of actual pine straight out of the forest! Have fun. You could make the playboy mansion for chins;)

The problem with Lowes and Home Depot is the cheap boards are labeled "white wood". They are usually either pine or birch. I can tell the difference by sticking my thumb nail into them. The pine ones are much softer and easily indented. The white wood boards are all kiln dried as are most other wood boards. They would warp easily if they weren't.

The problem with Lowes and Home Depot is the cheap boards are labeled "white wood". They are usually either pine or birch. I can tell the difference by sticking my thumb nail into them. The pine ones are much softer and easily indented. The white wood boards are all kiln dried as are most other wood boards. They would warp easily if they weren't.

Thanks for the info! That is good to know. I'll have to look closer the next time I'm there.

The whitewood boards at my Home Depot are either hemlock or fir. I found that there is a stamp on the wood indicates what type of wood it is, even in the whitewood section.

Back