Where do your chins like to pee?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

I'm a little embarrassed to be asking, but one of my chins keeps peeing on the ledges. I have a litter box on the floor of the cage and she does use it, but I'm thinking she may not be able to get down there in time - or just doesn't want to be bothered climbing all the way down when she needs to go.
Do your chins pee in various places in their cages? I expect poop all over the place, but my other girls don't pee on the ledges.
Are there litter boxes specifically for higher up in the cage?

Are they peeing in an area that hay falls on? I have found that my chins will pee on a shelf if there is any hay there at all.

Ooohh, interesting! It IS on a shelf with hay! Have you figured out a way to keep them from peeing there, or do you keep the hay off the shelves?

mine use to do it
but if you figured out what their pee face/stance looks like you can nudge/bother them towards the bathroom

they'll get it eventually

Mine usually goes on the bottom of her cage, usually on her sticks, hay, or loofas. She also uses the pillow I made her as a spot to pee, it's right outside her tube, so I imagine she gets lazy and sticks her bum out of the tube and goes on that.. eww!

She does have accidents though (which I'm pretty sure she does on purpose lol) on her shelves, only about once every week or two. She just goes wherever she pleases ;)

my boys pee everywhere they aren't supposed to! lol. that means on shelves, on hay, on toys, on tiles......... pretty much everywhere EXCEPT their litter pan lately. lil buggers! :p

I found that there are 2 situations that one of my chin will pee where he is not supposed to pee (p.s. not in the chin's toilet)

1) When the cage is very dirty: Normally I clean their cage every day. When I mean dirty, I mean when I was away for couple days and the poops were everywhere(since no one helps me clean up the cage). Hay everywhere, poops everywhere, chew toys everywhere, pellets everywhere..... then my chin pees everywhere :laughitup:

2) When there are piles of __________ : E.g. Pile of hay, pile of sticks, pile of pellets, pile of chew toys, if my chin sees the piles, for some unknow reason, he would think that it is okay to pee on.I guess because I have pine saving at the bottom of the cage, and also a "chin toilet" with shavings in it on the 3rd level, he might be mistaken that he could pee on those piles that resemble shavings??? There were several times that I left pile of chew toys together, or pile of chew stones together, he went there and peed on them!! I had to throw everything away. So now I do not but anything in a pile on the shelves anymore. Just pellets in food bowls, hay in hay rack, chew toys hanging up.

This morning i found my chin pee on a seagrass chew toy (Twilight Chinchilla's Christine made it) that was laying inside a hideout, well i had to get rid of the soaked part .

Hope it help.

I am so glad that neither of my girls pee on their shelves or their bridge. They always pee in their shavings, I believe they have 3 or 4 set places they go to do their pee business.

I must have gotten lucky because my chin pees in the same spots all the time. I use bedding for the whole bottom of his cage but he only goes in the back two corners. He used to go in his food bowl but after I took it away and started using something he couldn't get on top of that stopped.

my chins only inconsistencies happened when I first got him. He peed everywhere for a while! on shoe boxes...on loedges, toys, the tile, ugh it was horrible!

But after I potty trained him he barely has accidents and now I just put in a second potty on the second level of his cage. The only time he wont go in there is if I havet emptied it out and its super peed in then he wont go in it and he pees in another corner...So now I just keep up with it!

I got really lucky with adopting my chin. He has never peed on his shelves and when I switching from using KD pine for his bedding to fleece with a Pyrex dish litter box of his shavings he learned really fast with minimal accidents. Now if only we can work on his skittishness and fur chewing then we'll be in excellent shape (I should have named him Spooky. He freaks out about everything.)

My chin mostly pees in his litter pan full of shavings, but lately he has been leaving teeny tiny little pee spots on his liner, and once on one of his shelves. We just barely switched to fleece liners (used to be shavings all on the bottom) so he is still "potty training".
Today, my brand new chin peed in the bath tub during play time. I thought it was pretty funny, because it was better than him peeing on the rug! I was able to just wash it away. So I told him he was a good boy :) haha

My Henry has a couple of ledges he really likes to pee on. The bottom of his cage has litter and he does use it but he also pees on a couple of shelves every day. I didn't know a chin could produce that much pee. :clap1: I've gotten really good with the vinegar water spray bottle, I thought about fleece liners but the idea of changing them constantly....:1grouch:

Bigelow pees in a Pyrex dish I have set up with kiln-dried pine bedding in it. When I switched to fleece bedding, I made sure to put a little bit of pine bedding he had already peed on in the dish and he caught on immediately. As far as I can tell, he never pees anywhere but in the dish. His fleece is always dry and never stinks.

I give him hay a few pieces at a time a few times/day so that he finishes right away and it isn't lying around. That may have something to do with it based on what other posters have said.

I am fortunate that my chins only go in their pee dish. My male has a dish on both levels and he never pees on his fleece. Having said that........

You could try toilet training your chins? Find the spot that your chin likes to pee at, then place a litter pan over it for your chin to pee on and avoid the mess. After a while, try moving the pan to different places while keeping some soiled litter so that your chin can still have a familiar scent of where to pee. It takes some trial and error but both my chins have managed it after 1-2 months i.e. wherever the litter pan is they will pee there.

It's weird because I'm pretty sure I smell urine but I can't see any stains or anything. I wonder where my little girl is peeing o_O

Back