Where do you shop for bulk stuff?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoastchins

I was wondering where everyone buys stuff in large quantities. I have a great place near me called Tractor Supply where I can get 50lb bags of Manna Pro for a good price.

But I'm not sure where to get hay and bedding anymore. I was getting bedding from a place called Chaar, they used to sell HUGE bags of kiln dried pine, the small flakes, for around $7, but now they stopped carrying the brand I liked. They switched to this new stuff that's AWFUL. It doesn't absorb well at all, the flakes are huge, and I kept finding random pieces of who knows what mixed into the bag. I went through less than half a bag and back the other 3 went to the return counter. Now I don't know where to get my bedding from, because PetCo and PetSmart charge well over $7 for a bag half the size of the one I was getting from Chaar.

Hay is my other question. I've been getting the smallish bags of Oxbow from PetSmart, but I go through en entire bag in less than two days, and it's pretty pricey there. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy it in bulk?

Thanks!!

Luckily I have a wonderful local feed store here that carries my Muzuri and wonderful pine bedding. I also get my hay locally. A 60-70 pound bale of hay will cost me next to nothing and my chins love it. Try looking for a place that sells feed for horses and cows. If they can't help you out, they might point you in the right direction.

I go to 2 local feed stores about 15 mins away but if necessary I will go 1 hour out of the way. Right now one of them is out of the shaving I use the other one an hour away is also out. The other local feed store charges too much for shavings so didn't bother them to see if it's in stock. I have learned my lesson maybe 3 years ago when there was a shortage on shavings to stock up. I do have 15 bales left but it's also nice to keep 25 in stock cause of shortages.

Hay isn't that great here right now. As soon as the good hay comes in I'm going to stock up on that too.

Oxbow comes in 25lb bags if you can get your feed store to order it. Used to come in 50lbs but was told they just recently discontinued those and went to only 25lbs. A 25lb bag costs me about $30 and some change.

Learned my lesson on the shavings issue, bought two bags of "something" was told was pine and doesn't smell anything like pine. Back to the store those go, from now I am stocking up.

Tractor supply has pine shavings here for $5, not located on the shelves, so just ask for it. I also use standlee timothy hay from there. I buy zupreem timothy and an alfalfa hay from petstore.com, they have a flat rate shipping.

I too do "one stop shopping" at TSC. I get the MannaPro (in 50lbs), Standlee (sometimes compressed bales, sometimes 40lbs of cubes) and I get the fine shavings...

I buy my Oxbow from Wag.com. They offer coupons for new users and what you spend on a small bag at Petsmart you can get double that as well as hay. Surprisingly I found a large bag of kiln dried pine at my local Wal-Mart for 6 bucks and it works really well.

Back