When you're pregnant...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolunteerChin22

I <3 dustbunnies
No, this isn't an announcement (yet!) but something I was thinking about as we start in this direction - For all those recently pregnant or currently pregnant, what advice did you get from your Dr's about your chins and you being pregnant?

I am thinking if I wear gloves and a mask and shower after cleaning cages I should be fine right? Having the hubby do it is pretty much non-negotiable...I know he has a high quotient of lameness...

I'm not pregnant, nor do I intend to ever again, but I have a compromised immune system because of my transplant and all the chemo I have had. I don't think your advise would be much different than mine. I was told to wear gloves, and a mask and all would be ok. I was still advised to stay away from the litter box though, and have someone else clean it.

Thanks for the link. The hubs is not going to be helping I can pretty much count on that - he goes to school and works and is I would say "tolerant" of the chins in general as long as he has nothing to do with them.

I still do it myself. Only difference is that I get short of breath quicker. I really need to re-invest in some masks too cuz pregnancy+ asthma+ cleaning chinchilla cages makes me miserable for the day and sometimes the next.

And yeah, asking my dbf wasn't really in the question either.

I did everything right up until the day I gave birth and cleaned cages the day I got out of the hospital. Didn't do anything differently other than took breaks more frequently as I got bigger

I developed a condition during my pregnancy that made it difficult for me to clean cages alone but I still did it by myself right up until I had my girl in February (occasionally with help but most often without). I took more breaks and modified my cleaning method a bit to make it easier for myself (cleaned in thirds over three days, etc) but I always wear gloves and a mask so I didn't change anything else.

My doctor didn't have an issue with me caring for the chinchillas other than my lifting/activity restriction, which was lifted after a while.

My dr hasn't told me to watch out for anything, other than to just avoid over working myself. Which is why Im trying to just downsize my herd a little to what I am not going to be working on in the future.
I need less cages to clean and what not. But the cleaning cages isn't horrible, Im still doing it and Im due in 3 weeks :)

I'm also in the boat that cleaned cages on her own. Having someone else do it just isn't an option for some of us ladies, unfortunately. It just took me a bit longer. Now, since you have more chins, I'd utilize some of the precautions you've stated, like gloves and a mask, but for my few cages, I was just fine.

Latest posts

Back