When good popcorns go bad...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
Today I put one of the babies back in to see his parents, he seemed lonely since I have been working on getting him weaned this week. He's going to his new home tomorrow so I try a week before they go to new homes to start taking them away from their mommas.

He got back in the cage and the first thing he did was popcorn uncontrollably. On the last little hop he bounced way up and landed on the back of his dad's head! Then...he tried to popcorn off his dad. Dad looked shocked, but was happy to see his boy. Very odd.

Do you ever see those little popcorn hops completely fail? I've seen chins have their legs seemingly misfire when they are happily popcorning and end up running in things or knocking themselves off balance into the wall or the side of a cage. Chins have no control over themselves when they are happy.

I wish I had a video of what that kit did this morning!!

Every so often Vincenza will miss when she popcorns and kind of looks around dazed. If it was a cartoon she'd have little birds circling her head.

But omg that's hilarious!

A short time after I acquired Zoidberg and his bonded pair, we let them out to play for the first time. Well, Zoidberg went popcorning around the room and ended up under the couch. He popcorned into one of the supports and knocked himself unconscious!! My boyfriend and I were in immediate panic mode. He came to really quickly, but I called the emergency vet, they said to just watch him overnight and take him to the regular vet in the morning. Turns out he's got a pretty hard head, but I think he may have weakened my heart a little that night. That was over 3 years ago now, and he hasn't popcorned under the couch since.

Becky...that's terrible! That really is a popcorn gone horrendously bad. Poor little chin. My very first chin ran into a door and knocked himself unconscious. He was okay in about 10 minutes, but those were the longest 10 minutes...called the vet, got confirmation that I could go in and have him looked over. By the time we got to the vet he was fine, but I still made them look him over thoroughly and made a follow up appointment!

I think the chins have taken many many years off of my life because of this type of thing.

Shell has popcorned into walls many times. She also trys to popcorn in her bath house. I need to get a video of it. She is strong enough to lift the house when she is popcorning.

I've lost count of how many times Button has popcorned onto Artie. She gets her in the head, on her back, into her side and on her tail. Poor Artie just tolerates it.

Susan, I just remembered part of your story about the time you were racing to the vet....were you giving the chin cpr or what...?

Not that time! LOL This was over 14 years ago and I had no clue of what to do to help the little guy. He came out of it himself and the vet said he was fine.

There was that time that a little baby chin was born and not breathing and I had to get him breathing in the car! I've had many many times I have had to race to the vet for chins...it's hard to say what story you're remembering.

i remember once when my Guss went to wall surf....... i guess his depth perception was off that day, because he jumped, aimed for the wall, and fell straight down about 4 inches from the wall! lol! he was fine, and must've had a cat moment, because he landed on his feet. :rofl:

My chins have fallen when popcorning before. But I'll never forget the funniest incident. I had a stack of cardboard boxes in their playpen with holes, and they had fun running in and out and around them. On top of the boxes was a large bowl with dust.

Orville hopped into the bowl and began rolling around. Orville's movement caused the bowl to tip over. Orville fell out of the bowl onto the ground. The bowl landed right on top of him, face down.

My fiance said, "Hon, would you help him?" I didn't see what had happened. I picked up the bowl and there he was! Not much has ever fazed Orville, and he just went merrily along his way.

My last litter was a set of twins, one male and one female. A couple of weeks ago, the kits were about 8 weeks old at the time, I had given them their dust baths and then put them back into their cage. The two immediately started popcorning all over the place and actually bounced of of each other in mid air several times. It was quite hilarious! I wish my camcorder had been handy at the time.

My favourite is when our dark ebony chin ran into a box in a playpen, and popcorned within it. The whole box just popped up and scared the *&)(*^&(* out of us. He's done it a couple of times since then, but never when we have a camera handy.

Hilarious. Mine do the same fairly often. They aren't very coordinated, just like their daddy.

My favourite is when our dark ebony chin ran into a box in a playpen, and popcorned within it. The whole box just popped up and scared the *&)(*^&(* out of us. He's done it a couple of times since then, but never when we have a camera handy.

Haha I've seen this, it's awesome!

We all need to invest in video cameras, preferably ones equipped with night vision and timers. :)

Back