Whats the difference between homo and hetero?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe homo means both parents were the same and hetero means they were not. Such as homo beiges had both beige parents or the genes from both whereas hetero beige means only one was beige. I'm still learning mutation differences too so someone with more experience can chime in and make more sense probably. I can picture it in my head cause Claudia explained it to me, but typing it isn't coming. Just finished cleaning some cages so my brain is tired.

ETA: Well there you go, I was too slow, but that's what I was thinking, the gene would come from both parents to be homo or only one to be hetero.

not really no. In the end for a pet chinchilla it doesn't matter A tan is a tan and a beige is a beige. It really is only important when breeding

It depends how much eb influence is in your tan. A homo tan without much eb influence will show it's homozygous for beige in the eyes - they'll be a lighter jellybean red-pink color. However, a homo tan with a lot of ebony influence may mask the lighter eye coloration. With a chin like that, the only way to know is if you breed it and it always throws the beige gene in its kits.

Do you know what color the parents were? Both parents would need to have beige for him to be a homo tan.

Do you know what color the parents were? Both parents would need to have beige for him to be a homo tan.

I'm really not sure. I didn't breed her, and the person I got her from didn't either, so I have no idea. I can post a photo of her and maybe someone might be able to tell from that?

I keep reading that tans have bright red eyes, similar to pink whites I'm guessing? But hers are more of a darker, blood red color almost. :hmm:

Back