What would you do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
Every day, I drive to work. On my way, I pass by a house that is only about 10 minutes away from home. For a long time, there has been a dog outside that house in the back yard, chained to a tree. This dog looks to be some sort of pit or boxer mix, is very pretty, and seems very timid (whenever I drive by, she always has her tail between her legs). She has a short coat, and during the winter, was never inside that I saw (I leave home around 6:00 and get home around 6:00, and she is always there). She has food and water in dirty bowls, a dirty blanket on the ground, and a box leaned up against the tree for a house. Needless to say, it takes a large amount of self-control for me to not take this dog every day.

I talked to my husband about this, and he said that unfortunately, Indiana law dictates that a dog that is chained must have food, water, and shelter. There is apparently nothing we can do.

A few weeks ago, a puppy of a similar breed appeared at the house, chained up in a chain-link kennel. It has the same conditions as its older sister. I have never seen this puppy up close, but it is always laying down now. I saw it sitting up a couple of times, and its eyes just looked so sad. These are such pretty dogs, and I doubt anyone even plays with them. I imagine the puppy lived in the house for a little while, then either got to big or had an accident or two and was sentenced to life in the yard.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with dogs living outside if they are properly cared for. To me, being chained up in a yard is NOT proper care!

Is there anything I can do about this? It is so frustrating to see this every day, and it is worse to know that legally pretty much nothing can be done. Does anyone have any advice?

I would have the authorities called anyway. Yes they need shelter, but they need proper shelter, at least here, a lean to, would not work. They would have to have shelter, and fresh water, it cant be stagnet water that sits for days.

Have you thought about talking to the owners? Maybe they would be willing to give them up since there doesn't seem to be any interest in the dogs. Maybe you could be a concerned citizen and offer to take them in if they are too much trouble for the owners. Just be "real sweet and caring." At least then you would have a feel for them, and possibly get a close-up look at the dogs. Just a thought.

Have you thought about talking to the owners? Maybe they would be willing to give them up since there doesn't seem to be any interest in the dogs. Maybe you could be a concerned citizen and offer to take them in if they are too much trouble for the owners. Just be "real sweet and caring." At least then you would have a feel for them, and possibly get a close-up look at the dogs. Just a thought.

I have done this very thing. In fact, that's how I got my Papillon. The lady I worked with complained about this dog all the time. How it would pee on the floor and how they'd 'punish' it. Mind you, this is a little 7 pound dog. To this day, when I bend down to pick her up she cowers and I've never hurt her. Sometimes she even yelps in fear when I pick her up. I said, "If you ever want to get rid of it (not terms I usually use) I'll gladly take the dog". Sometimes if people know it's that easy to hand the dog over to someone instead of looking for someone to take it, they will give it up willingly.

You could call the authorities to come out and check on the dogs. No problem found, they'll walk away. But if any problems are indeed found, then the owners will have to make changes or risk losing their dogs.

I would only feel comfortable stopping and talking with the owners if my husband were with me (personal policy: never meet someone you don't know alone, especially on their turf). I think the authorities have been called, because the boxes appeared randomly one day.

I would love nothing more than to take these dogs, but the house we are living in now would not provide enough space for them (we live on 1/10 of an acre), which is the reason we don't have a dog already. It just wouldn't be fair for a dog to have no room to run and play.

I think I will call animal control again and see what they can do. I just can't believe that someone would think it is okay to do the bare minimum...

If they have a puppy, I doubt they are going to want to get rid of it. They didn't have it before, so they obviously got it from somewhere.

I'd call animal control.

Back