What would you do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

I have a single male chin and I am looking to buy him a new cage after the holidays. I have already decided on a FN, but still do not know if I want a single or double cage.

Is a double too much room for 1 chin?

Also I am weighing my options on getting my one chin a buddy. He is male and if I decide to get another chin it would definitely be a male also. I have read through many past introduction threads and I am wondering if I just should drop that whole buddy idea.

What is the likelihood two males will bond? Is it more trouble than it is worth to my Chinny and myself?

I would like everyone's input on the best cage for Chinny, a FN 141 or 142. And also about if I should try to get him a buddy or not. If you have tried bonding two males, how did it work out for you?

I cant weigh in about the buddy thing, as I only have one chin, who just loves his fleece cuddle buddies. I give him lots of attention, so I know he is not lonely.

Anyways, my chin has an FN 142 all to himself, and I plan on keeping it that way for a long long time. I like to spoil him. He has about everything in his cage, hammocks, cubes, houses, and tons of toys. There is a water bottle on each level and he jsut lvoes all the room he has. I would say he is happy, so if you can financially afford an FN 142, I would say GO FOR IT!! :)

One thing to realize is - whether you get a FN 141 or 142, you will need a separate cage to do a proper quarantine before for 30 days. So what you would need to do is purchase whatever cage you like before you get the new chin if you decide to, and have the chins separated in different cages in different rooms. Use your old cage for Mr. Chinny and the new cage for the new chin. Remember, separate rooms, separate cages - not chins separated in different sections of the FN 142. A FN 141 is large enough for two chins. A FN 142 is also just fine for 1 chin. The good thing about a FN 142 is that you can split the levels up and separate the chins where they cannot get to each other and still have them in the same cage AFTER quarantine.

You'll get mixed responses about bonding and intros. The main thing to realize is - the experience depends on each individual chinchilla. There's no simple way of putting it other than, some chins get along, some chins don't. With proper intro methods, you may end up with a successful intro, you may not. Sometimes chins get along right off the bat, other times you'll have chins want to kill each other. You have to be prepared just in case. Also, just because chins get along for some time, doesn't mean they will forever. All of a sudden, fights can break out and you would need to separate the two.

Last edited:
I would definitely go for the 142. I have one girl in a 142 all to herself and she loves it. Then, down the road, if you decide to try with a buddy, you can separate them if need be. Just keep your current cage for the quarantine period.

I bought a "friend" for my girl and was unsuccessful with my intro. I feel like I could have kept trying, but I was too scared my girls would get hurt. Yours might get along just fine with no problems. Or you could end up like me, with now two FN142s for just 3 chinchillas!

I cant weigh in about the buddy thing, as I only have one chin, who just loves his fleece cuddle buddies. I give him lots of attention, so I know he is not lonely.

Anyways, my chin has an FN 142 all to himself, and I plan on keeping it that way for a long long time. I like to spoil him. He has about everything in his cage, hammocks, cubes, houses, and tons of toys. There is a water bottle on each level and he jsut lvoes all the room he has. I would say he is happy, so if you can financially afford an FN 142, I would say GO FOR IT!! :)

Thanks Emily a 142 it will be then :)

One thing to realize is - whether you get a FN 141 or 142, you will need a separate cage to do a proper quarantine before for 30 days. So what you would need to do is purchase whatever cage you like before you get the new chin if you decide to, and have the chins separated in different cages in different rooms. Use your old cage for Mr. Chinny and the new cage for the new chin. Remember, separate rooms, separate cages - not chins separated in different sections of the FN 142. A FN 141 is large enough for two chins. A FN 142 is also just fine for 1 chin. The good thing about a FN 142 is that you can split the levels up and separate the chins where they cannot get to each other and still have them in the same cage AFTER quarantine.

You'll get mixed responses about bonding and intros. The main thing to realize is - the experience depends on each individual chinchilla. There's no simple way of putting it other than, some chins get along, some chins don't. With proper intro methods, you may end up with a successful intro, you may not. Sometimes chins get along right off the bat, other times you'll have chins want to kill each other. You have to be prepared just in case. Also, just because chins get along for some time, doesn't mean they will forever. All of a sudden, fights can break out and you would need to separate the two.

Thanks for the advise :) I will definitely be getting the FN well before getting another chin, if I decide to even get another. So I will be able to quarantine them in separate rooms and cages. The idea of the two harming one another in the process, or attempt, scares me.

I would definitely go for the 142. I have one girl in a 142 all to herself and she loves it. Then, down the road, if you decide to try with a buddy, you can separate them if need be. Just keep your current cage for the quarantine period.

I bought a "friend" for my girl and was unsuccessful with my intro. I feel like I could have kept trying, but I was too scared my girls would get hurt. Yours might get along just fine with no problems. Or you could end up like me, with now two FN142s for just 3 chinchillas!

Sorry your intro didn't work out, that is what I am scared of. But after reading these posts I am getting really excited to get Chinny his FN142. I guess I just want to have him happy as possible.

Sorry your intro didn't work out, that is what I am scared of. But after reading these posts I am getting really excited to get Chinny his FN142. I guess I just want to have him happy as possible.

I love the 142. Its great! And Winston Loves it!!! I know you will be happy with it! I see no problem with just having one chin and spoiling the HECK out of him! :)

I've heard of people splitting their Ferret Nations into two separate cages, I had to do it with my homemade cage. So if the intro doesn't work out you could do that; that is if you really want to get another chin.

Sorry if your question has already been answered, I just kind a scanned through the thread!

I've heard of people splitting their Ferret Nations into two separate cages, I had to do it with my homemade cage. So if the intro doesn't work out you could do that; that is if you really want to get another chin.

Sorry if your question has already been answered, I just kind a scanned through the thread!

I will be considering getting another chin for at least a month, just hoping to hear how it went for others :)

go for the 142. the difference in price is worth the ability to have 2 separate sections if your into doesnt work out. 1 section is ample for 1 or 2 chins. of course 2 sections is luxury if you decide to keep your guy a single chin!

keep your current cage for quarantine.

I am actually thinking about the same thing. I recently got in contact with the breeder who sold Chichi and she has some babies due this christmas. I would love to get Tribble and little friend, as he is gonna be 8 weeks this friday. I have been throwing this idea back and forth for a while now...

I had my guy in a Feisty Ferret (very similar to FN 142 in terms of layout and size) for about 6 months. We got him a buddy around Halloween. We did a quarantine, then put them next to one another for 2 weeks, then combined playtime.....some bumps along the way, but they are super happy paired up now. Cuddling and grooming all day long.

Back